Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorial Day: What will be on your stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day: What will be on your stone?

When visiting my father's(WWII vet) grave my sister-in-law asked me: "So what do you want inscribed on your headstone?".....easy, I answered: "I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!"
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
    When visiting my father's(WWII vet) grave my sister-in-law asked me: "So what do you want inscribed on your headstone?".....easy, I answered: "I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!"
    I think many of us would also like that, on ours, if we do actually get one? If there really is a Heaven and a few of us actually make it in, I'm sure we will be! Everyone, take care and Enjoy the Holliday!

Mark
    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Let's see. This could be fun.

"Although a dichotomy has formed from my absence, just remember, words are the golden thread. They can mend anything just as much as they can strangle the life out of something."

OR

"Here lies Jake R. Kaywell, always tried to give a little more than he promised. One day, he gave a little too much!"
      Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I am a curious sort, with more interests than I have time to pursue. I also collect all sorts of things, from interesting rocks, arrowheads, artifacts, cars, "old iron," die-cast, and Studebakers. My wife, although understanding, has had to put up with this for decades. When she complains about my "clutter," I have accused her of wanting to live as if the house was up for sale. On such occasions, I would often say that I need to build on an addition, so that me, my junk, and my animals could "pig out" and enjoy life...in "MY OWN PLACE."

One day, leaving the church by way of a side road through the graveyard, I glanced over to see her grinning. I asked what are you thinking?

That's when she told me she had the perfect epitaph for my tombstone...

"HERE LIES JOHN CLARY...WHO ALWAYS WANTED HIS OWN PLACE... AND NOW HAS IT!"

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Drear hordes of Dodge and Studebaker,
          Hispano-Suiza, Edsel Ford
          Make way! I drive to meet my maker
          in the garages of the Lord.

Comment

I want mine to read "I told you I was sick."

Comment

"Sorry Honey, but It Looks Like I Just Ran Out of Gas"

Comment

"I thought getting old would take longer."
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

See the text in red under my signature line below. It is Latin for "The sun shines for everyone".
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Anyone know somebody in the stone carving business? I'd like to have one of those dead tree trunk tombstones that were popular in the 1880's.
                    Mike Sal

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      See the text in red under my signature line below. It is Latin for "The sun shines for everyone".
                      Sol Lucet Omnibus

Well, Ed...that appears to be a rather sophisticated phrase...but if you heard someone with a deep southern drawl (like mine) attempting to pronounce it

you'd probably rethink having that on your monument.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'd like "he served his country." Also, I'd like an outline of my Lark and a mortar and pestle, the symbol of my profession, pharmacist.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          Sol Lucet Omnibus

Well, Ed...that appears to be a rather sophisticated phrase...but if you heard someone with a deep southern drawl (like mine) attempting to pronounce it

you'd probably rethink having that on your monument.
                          i read that with a southern drawl and now i can't get it out of my head

Comment

I've never done anything spectacular. On my best day, at my best skill I might hit a 7 on a 10 scale. It seems daily to take 110% of myself to be "average." My whole life I've fought the perception that on the scale of 10 I was no better than a 1..., maybe a 2. So, whether perceived as self deprecating or bragging, I've suggested the following for a gravestone:

"At times he rose above the mediocrity people expected of him"

That said, I have actually requested no mention, no service or memorial markings. There are 8 billion people on this planet. My passing should be of no significant notice.
                            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Sorry guys. I never considered the southern drawl aspect of Sol Lucet Omnibus. There weren't any southerners around in Rome when Latin was the native tongue.
                              For me it is the sentiment of the phrase that I always liked. I could always switch to Carpe Diem.
                              Ed Sallia
                              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                              X