PDA

View Full Version : Engine: 289 oil level problem

X-she
05-27-2018, 01:17 PM
i want to know if somebody have the same problem , my car is a 1956 sky hawk model , when i control my oïl level before starting engine , it's ok the level is top but if i control it after starting the level is low and i've to wait 2 hours before it came back at the top . i've removed and clean the oïl filter ,oïl flexible hoses , oïl pressure valve........ with no sucess.
I've suspicion about cylinder head gaskets but i'm not shure.
Thanks for your help
David from France

christophe
05-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Bonjour David,
A mon avis la différence de niveau vient de l'huile contenue dans le filtre. Si ton niveau est bon a froid, entre deux ballades, pas de problème. Tant que ta pression d'huile est bonne, il n'y a pas a s'inquiéter. N'hésite pas a me contacter directement si nécessaire. henry54.c@wanadoo.fr
Sorry for the others, it was quicker for me to answer in french.
Nice evening to all.

RadioRoy
05-27-2018, 02:06 PM
Here's what an online translator said.

In my opinion the difference in level comes from the oil contained in the filter. If your level is good cold, between two ballads, no problem. As long as your oil pressure is good, there is no need to worry. Do not hesitate to contact me directly if necessary.

GrumpyOne
05-27-2018, 03:47 PM
Do not overlook the possibility of the drain holes in each head being plugged especially when the vehicle has mainly been driven for short distances and time...

christophe
05-27-2018, 04:08 PM
Here's what an online translator said.

In my opinion the difference in level comes from the oil contained in the filter. If your level is good cold, between two ballads, no problem. As long as your oil pressure is good, there is no need to worry. Do not hesitate to contact me directly if necessary.

That's quite good. I should use them more often.

JoeHall
05-27-2018, 04:32 PM
I have noticed same as the OP mentioned, in all Stude V8 motors. I check the oil level 3-5 minutes after shut down, and then add oil, as needed, to bring it up to the full mark. Yep, it will then be as much as 1/2 quart overfull after sitting overnight, but I do not worry about that.

Galactica5
05-27-2018, 09:18 PM
As in any engine.
If you run it then check the oil, you need to wait for the oil to settle down from all the engine parts to get a good reading.

StudeRich
05-28-2018, 02:09 AM
As in any engine.
If you run it then check the oil, you need to wait for the oil to settle down from all the engine parts to get a good reading.

Not really, Joe's system is totally opposite to your's but correct, as some of the Elements for these partial flow Oil Filters do not use a anti-drain back valve, probably ALL of them, so the only time the engine actually has a full 6 Qts. is right after shutdown.

I have opened the hood while the engine is running, pulled the dipstick, wiped it, laid it down on the radiator area, turned the ignition off, and ran around to insert the dipstick and checked to find it exactly on the Full Mark.

This after a Hot drain, sitting overnight and refilling with 6 Qts. U.S. changing the Filter and warming it up.

X-she
05-28-2018, 02:05 PM
Thanks every one for your reply ; i'll check drain holes in each head in first
Merci Christophe i'll go back to you later.
Thanks again
David

JoeHall
05-28-2018, 03:16 PM
Thanks every one for your reply ; i'll check drain holes in each head in first
Merci Christophe i'll go back to you later.
Thanks again
David

Please allow me to be more blunt: You do NOT have a problem with your car, so you do NOT need to fix anything. Just be consistent in the way you check the oil level: either 3-5 minutes after shut down, or the next day. Which ever you choose, just be sure to not let it get below 1 quart low, and your car will be fine. Or you can disassemble the motor, replace gaskets, etc., if you have extra time and money to spend, but it is NOT needed.

Hope this helps.

doofus
05-29-2018, 06:15 AM
David, while checking those drain back holes a dip stick makes a great prod. Luck Doofus

JoeHall
05-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Not really, Joe's system is totally opposite to your's but correct, as some of the Elements for these partial flow Oil Filters do not use a anti-drain back valve, probably ALL of them, so the only time the engine actually has a full 6 Qts. is right after shutdown.

I have opened the hood while the engine is running, pulled the dipstick, wiped it, laid it down on the radiator area, turned the ignition off, and ran around to insert the dipstick and checked to find it exactly on the Full Mark.

This after a Hot drain, sitting overnight and refilling with 6 Qts. U.S. changing the Filter and warming it up.

I just changed oil & filter in the 63GT yesterday, but only let the pan drip for 20-30 minutes. With six quarts' oil and 6 ounces' DZZP, it was exactly on the full mark. The hood had not yet been closed, as I plan to adjust the valves next. This morning, it is 10-12 ounces overfull. The motor is a cloverfleaf, with about 5000 miles on it when I got it. Back then, I changed head gaskets, and other stuff, just to know what I had. It is clean as a pin inside. I have never had a 259/289/352 that did NOT drain down overnight. The 56J, with partial flow filter, drains down the most, up to 1/2 quart, as I mentioned already.

There's enough stuff that really needs fixing on our old Studes, without sending someone off on a wild goose chase looking for, "clogged passages", etc.. Unless the motor was last ran in the 1960s, with non-detergent oil, there will be no clogged passages. At least, none I have ever seen.

JoeHall
05-29-2018, 12:34 PM
Re-reading the OP, I notice he never mentioned an amount. Actual amount is very important, in determining if the differences he mentioned are due to drain down, or something else. If less than 1/2 quart, I submit there is no problem. OTOH, if he's talking much over that, it may be a different story. As mentioned, my 56J leaks down about 1/2 quart overnight; I have always attributed it mainly to the partial flow filter, which does not stay full to the brim, after sitting overnight. When changing the filter, I purposely let the car sit at least a few hours. Than, there's only about 2" in the bottom of the canister. If I popped the cover right after shut down, it would be full to the brim. During operation, it is pressurized, and will let you know real quick, if there's even a tiny leak around the cover seal.

Again, regarding the OP, the amount is critical, but that info is missing.

leaurent
05-30-2018, 01:55 AM
I think, it miss an external flow restrictor, after oil flow will be 1 quarts/minute.
Or your external flow restrictor is screwed into the bottom outlet filter, very bad

Jeffry Cassel
05-30-2018, 03:10 PM
The filter holds a quart of oil. When you check it cold it will register full but after starting the filter cannister fills with oil. If you the check it it will be a quart lower. Leave it and come back later and it is full again!