PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with this 58 GH on Ebay

5brown1
05-23-2018, 05:20 PM
This car has supposedly been sold twice on Ebay and shows up again. It was originally advertised as a rare factory four speed transmission car. Silver Hawk dash put in just while the super charger is not installed. Right! Pictures show lots of issues and unanswered things. The price is lower this time - but still too high to take a chance IMO.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Studebaker-Golden-Hawk/222989443231?hash=item33eb34e09f:g:1uwAAOSwwS1a7qor&vxp=mtr

Jeff_H
05-23-2018, 06:31 PM
That looks like a home-made cross member supporting the carrier bearing for a 2 pc driveshaft? Isn't a '58 supposed to be 1 pc?

StudeRich
05-23-2018, 06:49 PM
I am pretty sure it's a real '58, too many '58 clues: Side Grill Inserts, Door panels, Parking Lights, 14" Wheels, 14" Wheel Covers etc.

Also the jury-rigged center driveshaft support cross member indicates a '58 was modified to use a short tail Trans. or a Special slip joint adapter Yoke.
Not close to an "Original" Car, on a GH = -$5-6,000.00.

Lots of wrong and missing Parts, and those "Other Make" Bucket Seats.

Stude Shoo-wop!
05-23-2018, 07:35 PM
Lots of wrong and missing Parts, and those "Other Make" Bucket Seats.

On top of all that, those Brand X buckets don't even look very comfortable. If I didn't know better, I would say someone took Ford Econoline seat frames, and added just enough padding to not cause your rear end to ache profoundly. You think the seller would actually cough up the dough for more suitable buckets. NOPE! The buyer surely doesn't deserve that...

ddub
05-23-2018, 08:44 PM
Seller is not an ebay newbie. Wonder why he doesn't set a lower starting bid with a reserve. Then he might find out what the market for it is.

Studeous
05-23-2018, 09:14 PM
No 160 MPH Speedo! No Vac-Pressure gauge! I see Flags! Rear center armrest might explain the 2 piece driveshaft. Lots of 58 stuff. I want to see engine block number and a few numbers on the frame on this one. Could be a 53 Hardtop :)
Sharp car though. Add some torque thrust 2s and go cruise.

studegary
05-23-2018, 09:16 PM
No 160 MPH Speedo! No Vac-Pressure gauge! Plain Silver Hawk dash! Lots of 58 stuff. Could be a 53 Hardtop :)

The listing states that it currently has a Silver Hawk dash installed and that the Golden Hawk dash is included.

wdills
05-24-2018, 07:58 AM
That is a big number for a car that has been subjected to an incorrect "restoration" in the past and needs a complete restoration now. Plus it doesn't have all the correct parts to start with. If all the numbers match the build sheet it could be a valuable car when restored, but based on the amount of wrong that can be seen in the photos, I seriously doubt if it is a matching numbers car.

Buzzard
05-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Does the blower really show that it has been rebuilt? Looks like just the paint removed but just MHO. I agree with Jake regarding the seats and upholstery. To each their own.
It'll be interesting to see if it reaches the proper market price.
Bill

Big Smooth
05-26-2018, 05:38 PM
States: Rust free, new quality chrome, rebuilt supercharger and lots of parts. Put it back together with a few thousand here and there and its a cool ride. If he has the org block that adds.

Come back to this post in 10 years and see if it's a good deal.. I dont hate it, but wouldn't trade mine for it.