1955 Studebaker Speedster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Studebaker Speedster

I have heard when the Speedster was designed there was no glove box opening designed in dash so they designed a pocket type pouch on the passenger kit pad. Guess it was a last minute change with the pouch as the dash redesign for glove box would be too expensive.

Can any one give me documentation on why the pouch was designed since the dash glove box was missed in the original design. At a AACA car show my speester received a deduct for the kick pad.

Would really appreciate any information on this subject

Joe

Joe Parsons

This is the kind of nonsense that makes people like me give up on AACA judging. I'm sure they did not take off on this car for workmanship so it had to be for authenticy. It would not surprise me If some of the judges had never seen a Speedster. Reminds me of the day the AACA judges deducted 5 points on Gary Sassis Speedster for having wire wheel covers. I'm not with my books, but they need to see a parts book showing the kick pad.
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Comment

I am pretty sure there was no "last minute decision" involved at all, the Glove Box was NOT forgotten!

It was part of the European Sports Car Design originally to have a Map Pocket and also to allow a smooth, simple looking Dash.

What is WRONG with "some people's" thinking? An original Showroom Brochure would have solved that one quickly.

But I realize that not many would expect an error like that, so would not be prepared to prove the Car's originality, this would NEVER happen at a Studebaker Meet because SOMEONE would have seen a Speedster before.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I vaguely remember Bob Bourke talking about this. It is similar to what Rich said. The dash was to be a "clean" design. The pocket/pouch was placed there to hold the important documents; registration, insurance. I do not believe that it was "a last minute change". It would be good to carry some factory documentation/brochures/pictures, even copies so that you do not have to carry your originals.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I had points deducted on my '51 business coupe for, get this: NO BACK SEAT!
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

I lost points for the optional wire wheel covers on my 66 Daytona, with the build sheet noting them and an Options Brochure opened to the wheel covers, laying on the dash and mentioning it to the judges prior to judging.
            A picture is worth a...............well not much sometimes.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
            X