PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/Torque Converter: 1950 commander will not go in gear with motor running

Timothy
05-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Just got my 1950 commander running and realize it will not go in gear with motor running. 6 cylinder 3 speed and can get all gears until i crank up then all i get is a grinding where linkage enters transmission in all gears. adjusted pedal linkage 3 turns as manual said but no help as matter of fact tightening 3 turnd left me without reverse. Any Ideas? if i try to crank in gear with clutch depressed car will move forward.

dynolou2
05-15-2018, 07:53 PM
Your clutch disc is probably stuck to the flywheel, due to sitting, moisture ETC; if you can remove the inspection cover, have a buddy push in the clutch and see if you can turn the disc. You can make a clutch depresser out of a 2 X 4 if you have no help. Try using a paint scraper to break the disc free with the pedal depressed. Good Luck Lou Cote

R_David
05-15-2018, 07:56 PM
How long has it been sitting? If a long time I betcha the clutch plate is rusted to the flywheel. Stomp on the brake as hard as you can to keep the car from moving and bump the starter a few times. That should break it loose.

Edit: I see Lou already answered, his method is probably better

dynolou2
05-15-2018, 08:12 PM
Either way is worth a try. Lou

Timothy
05-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Thanks going to try this tomorrow. Question I've had the starter off several times changing selenoids. Finally got a good one from Steve Allen in Gainsville. Could i remove starter and use maybe a drum brake tool if disc is durable enough. That way i could turn the flywheel a little at a time with the fan to pressure different areas. new to studebakers so just say if thats not an option.

TWChamp
05-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Step on the brake, then step on the starter. If that doesn't break it loose find a road with no traffic and push the clutch in an floor the throttle several times to see if it will break loose.

Skip Lackie
05-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Jack up rear end so both rear wheels are off the ground. Start the car in third gear -- rear wheels will turn. Push in clutch, and stomp on brake. Should break loose. If not, repeat.

StudeNorm
05-16-2018, 11:46 AM
Inspect all linkages from the clutch pedal back to the bellhousing and make sure nothing is bent or broken. I had a linkage failure on the road which made getting home a bit interesting. I also had another car with a frozen clutch and that one had to be freed up via Lou's first method. Good luck.

brngarage
05-16-2018, 04:20 PM
I concur with Skip. I had the same problem with an engine and trans that sat for a long time (probably 10 years). I put the car on jackstands and ran it at about 20 MPH in third, stepped on the clutch and quickly hit the brakes hard. It took 4 or 5 tries, but it finally broke loose and I've been driving it ever since.