PDA

View Full Version : Would you bring a Studebaker to an IM and try to sell it there?

PackardV8
05-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Being an SDC member for going on fifty years, I'm well aware of the well-deserved CASO reputation. However, in the past decade, there's probably been more money spent restoring Studes of all years, models and conditions than probably in the previous fifty.

Again, unscientific observation, but there is the feeling this forum is mostly the critical hard core who already have their Studes and a would-be seller is more likely to get his price on eBay than from this forum. The inference could be made the IMs are even more so. Only the serious, already got one members attend. But then, they've also put up money into a Stude and who doesn't want at least one more interesting/bucket list Stude?

The plus of selling at the IM is this very skeptical bunch can inspect over, under, around and through; no chance of disagreement or disappointments as with a remote sale.

So what's the consensus here? Would you think it worth the effort to bring an offering to the IM, or easier to let it sit home and offer on eBay?

Bonus question - Any success stories from Bring A Trailer? It's interesting to peruse, but do they move the merchandise?

jack vines

bensherb
05-11-2018, 01:16 PM
What is an IM?

52-fan
05-11-2018, 01:19 PM
I think there are people who go to the International Meet with intentions of buying a Studebaker if they find the right one. Some, like one of our chapter members, don't intend to buy, but find a car they really want. The best approach might be to post it on other sites with the option of delivery to the IM.

64V-K7
05-11-2018, 01:20 PM
What is an IM?

NT RN T N L M T

Want to buy a vowel?

6hk71400
05-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Jack,

I know of one transaction that did sell on Bring A Trailer and that was the late Kelly Marion's 60 Lark 2 door V8 with overdrive. Initially it was posted by Kelly but he died unexpectedly and the auction was stopped. After his widow got the title straight and it was sold to a forum member (bumpkinville I believe is his screen name). Just an observation but maybe 40 to 50 percent may sell.

Bob Miles
Different by Design
Different by Delight!

61Lark
05-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Yes, if the IM was close to where I lived.
No, if I had to drive more than 4 hours or so.

PackardV8
05-11-2018, 02:47 PM
I think there are people who go to the International Meet with intentions of buying a Studebaker if they find the right one.

For true. I went to the 1982 IM in Seattle with the intention of buying a pickup. I found and bought my '55 E12 there; ironically, it came from nearer to home in Spokane than it was to Seattle, but in those pre-internet days, I'd probably never have heard of it for sale only a hundred miles away, in Electric City, WA.

jack vines

TWChamp
05-11-2018, 03:59 PM
I'd take it to the meet and try to sell it. Every Studebaker that shows up helps make the meet, and that's the main reason I attend the meets, to see all the different Studebakers, for sale or not. The swap meet is the other reason I attend the meets.

Stude Shoo-wop!
05-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Meets, by their very definition, are events that gather a bunch of like-minded people together for a sociable time. If that includes selling one of your Studes there, then be my guest, as it can only add to the beauty and luster of the whole affair!

mapman
05-11-2018, 04:53 PM
I think that if it is an unusual or special car it would do better at the IM. In 2012 in South Bend we found a '50 convertible we wanted and were ready to drive it home until someone out bid us. I drove an old Lark to the Spokane IM to sell in '05 and I didn't get an offer.
Rob

thunderations
05-11-2018, 07:06 PM
I think an IM or even a Zone meet are the perfect places to advertise your car for sale. Why are people at these events?.......They are interested in Studebakers. If your numbers are not reached, then try an auction or some other venue, but Studebaker people are probably your best bet for getting a buyer or getting the information passed on to others.
I know that I visit the Car Coral at every event and I certainly don't need any more projects, but you just never know.

Xcalibur
05-11-2018, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't, but the International Meets are always sooooooooooooooo far away from me to chance wasting that much time and effort if my main reason to go were to sell a vehicle. It close and convenient, why not?

Hallabutt
05-11-2018, 11:42 PM
I had to chuckle when John from Kansas says that "the International meets are always soooooooooooooooooo far from me." Not trying to be mean, but we on both coasts should be so lucky. John, you are closer to every single meet since 2005, then we are on the West Coast. As a matter of fact in the forty six years that I have been a member, there have only been six meets that we have been closer to, then you in Kansas.

Mark57
05-12-2018, 01:47 AM
My Transtar, which is currently for sale, will be driven to the International Meet in Tacoma if a buyer does not materialize before the end of August. I would say the closeness of Tacoma is the primary reason... I don't think I'd trek 1/2 way across the continent just to offer it up for sale on spec - might deliver it to a committed buyer though. ;)

unclemiltie
05-12-2018, 07:11 AM
At the IM meet in 2015 several higher dollar cars sold to local car dealers whom bought them to flip. Several others sold and several went home with the owners unsold. If I was taking one to the IM meet, I would advertise it well ahead of time on various sites. What better place to go and look at a car you are interested in but would like to look over first.

I personnally have sold several Studes on Ebay. I think you get a little less but they move faster. If you price them too high they will probably take longer to sell

candbstudebakers
05-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Jack in your case I think I would take it to the meet but not so if going to S/B or other places east of Salt Lake, post it here on the forum with pictures and info well in advance so member going then could come with money in there pockets if they liked what they see here. I think you live close enough to the meet to give it a try. all cars I have taken to meets have been sold in advance and delivered.

bensherb
05-12-2018, 03:34 PM
NT RN T N L M T

Want to buy a vowel?

ht t whn ppl abrvt thngs tht ar nt cmmnly abrvtd , sch s HP, CC, MM. t mks t mpssbl to ndrstnd whn o hv n d wht th'r thnkng bt. Wht hppnd t prpr wrtng?

tsenecal
05-12-2018, 05:10 PM
That is pretty comical! It must have taken a while to type that out, but I could still interpret it. I am an EMT advanced, and the medical community seems to love abbreviations also. I'm with you, what happened to proper writing?

mbstude
05-12-2018, 07:20 PM
Okay Jack, what are you bringing to sell in Tacoma?

bensherb
05-12-2018, 11:11 PM
That is pretty comical! It must have taken a while to type that out, but I could still interpret it. I am an EMT advanced, and the medical community seems to love abbreviations also. I'm with you, what happened to proper writing?

You had the key :lol:. At least you tried, and evidently were successful, A+ for you my friend. We could do it more cryptographically and leave out the key as most who aberviate everything do. :lol::lol:

Re, "IM"; Instant Messaging, Iron Maiden, Intramuscular injection, et cetra. Here are 128 more, and none of them are "international meet". https://www.abbreviations.com/serp.php?st=IM&p=99999

(To avoid snypes. Re, is not an abbreviation. Re; means "re". It is an English preposition in use since at least the 18th century. It means "in the matter of / with reference to".)

tman1912
05-13-2018, 04:58 AM
I sold my 1959 pickup on bring a trailer, while i did not get top dollar I got most of it and it was fun. I just saw a 64 lark sell for 24k last week. If I were selling a car now I would give them a try. It cost the seller $100.00 not bad for what you get. As with most things the more you put in the more you get out.

Tommy Kagi
05-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Hi Jack,
I sold my Dad's 914 hotrod on BaT. It's a fun site and brings a lot of different folks and cars. I look at it everyday. Always something interesting and learn something almost everyday. Like any auction, it's a crap shoot. If the right buyers are in the "room", you win. As tman1912 says you have to be involved with the sale. Lots of high res pictures, a video, ready to answer questions and jabs. It is exciting and fun. They write the copy and they will set the reserve, which you have to agree to. You can set it as a no reserve auction. That can work out better then you think, but it's gutsy. My Dad's car had a lower reserve then I wanted, but it did go higher then that. I did not get top dollar but it sold. It might have done better with a no reserve, but I couldn't do it. I agree that eBay would get more in the long run, has a bigger audience. It's not as much fun or involved. Both sites have pluses and minuses. Put it here so that you can see what the reaction from this crowd is and can go from there, before bringing it to the meet.

studegary
05-13-2018, 04:26 PM
You had the key :lol:. At least you tried, and evidently were successful, A+ for you my friend. We could do it more cryptographically and leave out the key as most who aberviate everything do. :lol::lol:

Re, "IM"; Instant Messaging, Iron Maiden, Intramuscular injection, et cetra. Here are 128 more, and none of them are "international meet". https://www.abbreviations.com/serp.php?st=IM&p=99999

(To avoid snypes. Re, is not an abbreviation. Re; means "re". It is an English preposition in use since at least the 18th century. It means "in the matter of / with reference to".)

Re (re) is also the second note of a major scale. ;)

j.byrd
05-13-2018, 04:51 PM
PackardV8, Karen and I went to every meet we could..local, regional, and one International trying to find an Avanti for sale. At the last meet we attended with only our 58 truck left in the flock, we were told by many folks there were no Avantis ever for sale and would not be. We were also told there were none in Nashville where we lived at the time, that were not accounted for. Less than a week after the big meet there in town...1988...we found a one owner Avanti that had been in the guys backyard covered with a tarp, completely visible from two different streets, less than 1/2 mile from the meet site there on Briley Parkway. Uncovered the part that wasn't covered, put a battery in it, poured in gas, squirted some in the carb, and drove it 9 miles to the house !!! ( and yes, left quite a trail of liquids and "stuff", ha ! ) So yes, there are some of us that come very definitely looking and ready to buy ! We would also have bought a 53 or 54 coupe instead if we had found one for sale then.

48skyliner
05-13-2018, 05:18 PM
"ht t whn ppl abrvt thngs tht ar nt cmmnly abrvtd , sch s HP, CC, MM. t mks t mpssbl to ndrstnd whn o hv n d wht th'r thnkng bt. Wht hppnd t prpr wrtng?"

What happened to proper writing is the texting craze. We have created a whole generation of young people who cannot write or even speak in complete sentences. Of course the deterioration of our language began earlier. Some of you may recall that not too many years ago we had a president who could not speak in complete sentences. I recall writer and comedian Buck Henry commenting at the time that "The president should speak at least one language fluently."

packardHawk58
05-14-2018, 04:27 AM
PackardV8, Karen and I went to every meet we could..local, regional, and one International trying to find an Avanti for sale. At the last meet we attended with only our 58 truck left in the flock, we were told by many folks there were no Avantis ever for sale and would not be. We were also told there were none in Nashville where we lived at the time, that were not accounted for. Less than a week after the big meet there in town...1988...we found a one owner Avanti that had been in the guys backyard covered with a tarp, completely visible from two different streets, less than 1/2 mile from the meet site there on Briley Parkway. Uncovered the part that wasn't covered, put a battery in it, poured in gas, squirted some in the carb, and drove it 9 miles to the house !!! ( and yes, left quite a trail of liquids and "stuff", ha ! ) So yes, there are some of us that come very definitely looking and ready to buy ! We would also have bought a 53 or 54 coupe instead if we had found one for sale then.

I can relate to what you have commented here j.byrd.
Last year at SB I went to that Meet with no intention to buy a car , just parts and walked away with the best Studebaker body shell I have ever found in the form of a 53 Starliner.
If I hadn't been there to see it with my own eyes I would not have bought the car on the internet, there is a lot to say about being "there"!
Today I bided on a 51 Bullet Starlight but pulled out of the bidding at the end because I had nobody on the ground to view the car even though it looked good in the pictures and the bidding was going North to what I thought it was worth.
If I was there to see the car it might I have been different.

t walgamuth
05-14-2018, 08:25 AM
I had a poor experience with Bring a Trailer. I wanted to list my Lotus 7 replica dedicated autocrosser there. The car is a bit rough as it has only been autocrossed no street driving for about 14 years. It won 8 national championships when owned by better drivers than I. I wanted an 18K reserve. they told me I would have to lower it to 12K to list it with them.

So I listed it with Racing junk dot com and on the SCCA free for sale forum.

Soon after that I sold it to a fellow who probably came to it by word of mouth. For 20K.

I decided that bring a trailer thought it looked too rough for their site. Who'd a thunk with a name like bring a trailer they'd be snooty?

Son O Lark
05-14-2018, 12:54 PM

Maybe it means 'internet market'!