2018 Route 66 Fun Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Route 66 Fun Run

So here we are along with over 800 other cars traveling along the longest continuous stretch of Old Route 66, running from Seligman, AZ to Topock, AZ on the California border.
    We have participated in this event every year since 1991 and have sure seen a lot of nice drivers, from old chain drive brass cars to prototype vehicles and cars from all over the world.
    The 66 Daytona has performed flawlessly again this year and draws way more attention then one would imagine. Mostly from those not knowing what it is and being amazed when told of it's history and that of Studebaker in general.
    Only saw one other Studebaker on the event this year, a Champ pick-up, but there may have been some others we missed.
    This has got to be one of the largest rolling car shows in the world, with many people parked along the highway just watching the parade of cars driving down the road.
    It's a 3 day event that should be on every "Car Persons" bucket list.
    Check it all out at "Historic Route 66 Association of Arizona".
    If I can figure out how to post pictures from this new cell phone, I'll do it.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

It has been on my bucket list for quite some time. Maybe next year!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
      So here we are along with over 800 other cars traveling along the longest continuous stretch of Old Route 66, running from Seligman, AZ to Topock, AZ on the California border.
      We have participated in this event every year since 1991 and have sure seen a lot of nice drivers, from old chain drive brass cars to prototype vehicles and cars from all over the world.
      The 66 Daytona has performed flawlessly again this year and draws way more attention then one would imagine. Mostly from those not knowing what it is and being amazed when told of it's history and that of Studebaker in general.
      Only saw one other Studebaker on the event this year, a Champ pick-up, but there may have been some others we missed.
      This has got to be one of the largest rolling car shows in the world, with many people parked along the highway just watching the parade of cars driving down the road.
      It's a 3 day event that should be on every "Car Persons" bucket list.
      Check it all out at "Historic Route 66 Association of Arizona".
      If I can figure out how to post pictures from this new cell phone, I'll do it.
      That would be something we would like to do but we leave Arizona the end of March so no can do. Have fun Ken and Arlene!
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

That sounds like a great time. Also, a good time of year to get the car out for a drive. Thanks for posting, I'll check out the website.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Is the Road Kill Cafe still a viable stop in Seligman?
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
            Don't know about the Road Kill Cafe, but Angel Delgadillo, age 91, founder of the Route 66 Association, is still alive and well and still greets customers at their gift shop in Seligman.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Yes, remember it well...
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The Snow Cap and the Road Kill cafe/resturants along with the Black Cat Saloon.
                Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                  ...Only saw one other Studebaker on the event this year, a Champ pick-up, but there may have been some others we missed...
                  Well...in keeping with our "STUDEBAKER PERSONALITIES"...being "different" spills over into other parts of our lives. This past Friday, I attended the spring motorcycle rally in Maggie Valley, N.C. Hundreds of traditional classic style V-Twin motorcycles as far as the eye can see. And...there sits my BMW horizontally opposed twin (the only one there). Less chrome...more technology, but different.

Your original post inspired me to search YouTube for videos, but so far, I found videos of last years route 66 fun run, and some entertaining videos, but no Studebakers. If anyone has links that show Studebakers...share the links with us. It looks like a great fun event.

Click image for larger version

Name:	at rally in maggie valley spring 2018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1720573
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The Fun Run was short of Studebakers this year. However, the license plate on this Corvair made me chuckle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_352.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	1720597
                    Rick
                    Kingman, AZ

Comment

Too much going on here for me to go for the fun run this year but meeting Ken & his wife this morning for an early lunch at Lilo's was great! Thanks again Ken.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Met up with Warren to pick up the split bench mounting plate. A real straight shooter and avid Studebaker owner. We had a nice brunch at the local eatery and swapped some Studebaker stories. Hope he joins the Grand Canyon Chapter of SDC and we see more of him as he settles into Arizona.
                        Thanks again, Warren and keep those Studes running.
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                        X