Hawk Frame swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Hawk Frame swap

Im looking for pictures of hawks with frame swaps. I would like to see what other people have done and how it worked.

I am putting a nova front end under a skyhawk.

I had a 1954 Starliner with a Camaro front clip (basically the same thing on both fronts). I do not have pictures of the switch, but it did work.
    A front clip using a GM front subframe from a basically unit body car is not the same as a "frame swap".
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yeah I didn't know what else to call it. So did the width make a difference? I figure the nova frame is about 3.5 inches wider which can probably be made up by tires and rims. I've done a few frame swaps but I would prefer to learn from other people experience.

Comment

A friend of mine put a mid-80's Monte Carlo type clip under his 58 Hawk that worked out well. The nice thing is that there is a lot of aftermarket support for these clips due to their popularity in circle track racing.

Comment

That was my thought. Plus I have several already built and ready to go.

Comment

Eh?
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by Dollars56 View Post
              That was my thought. Plus I have several already built and ready to go.
              That might have swayed me, back when I made the decision. But given the effort of getting a junk yard clip, doing a full rebuild on it, then the actual alignment and attaching, then redoing all the front sheet metal mounting, I choose not to do it at all. Even though I was installing a Chevy engine.
              I fabbed some motor mounts, rebuilt the Studebaker front suspension, and added disc brakes. Still happy with that decision.

Comment

I used a Kugel front end kit on my car. I only had to cut out around the spring perches. Front stings are adjustable coil overs. Eaton spring supplied new leafs for the rear. I went with heavy duty 2” lowering springs.

Comment

Bill Foy
                  1000 Islands, Ontario
                  1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

That's not a bad idea. Thanks

Comment

I just followed Bob's link and was surprised to find a custom Studebaker frame sold a couple months back on Ebay for $3000. That's a lot of steel and fabrication for that money even for the BIN price. If I needed a frame for an Avanti or Studebaker I think I'd call these folks and have a conversation.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                      X