Another Little Fix...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Little Fix...

Some of you may know that my GT Hawk did come with factory A/C, quite a desirable item to have in SoFlo and about as rare as hen's teeth in the early 60s. However, it did not work as there is no way to feasibly acquire R-12 anymore thanks to the EPA. I spoke with my mechanic about it and he quoted a price of around $600 to have a replacement compressor and lines fitted in order to accept R134. I was feeling rather despondent about this, but then I resolved myself to find a better solution. After all, isn't a big part of owning a Studebaker creatively fixing whatever problems that come one's way? I did some research and, after poking about in the engine bay, discovered that the factory compressor had already been modified to accept R134 at some point in the past. I then took the ol' girl down to a small, trusted shop known as Munson's Auto Service where they agreed with my findings. $40 later for a full R134 fill-up and the A/C unit is now blowing air as cold as an mother-in-law's stare. Can't hope for more than that!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1757783
    Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 04-30-2018, 03:22 PM.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Ok, I’ll say it...cool!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Had an 89 mini van that I swapped out to 134-R, I did what everybody said I couldn't. I had the system sucked down (what was left) bought screw on "adapters" which cross threaded on the R-12 fittings, and charged it up. 3 years later, when I sold it, she was still holding a charge. I don't remember what the total cost was, but well under $100.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Congratulations on your successful troubleshooting and getting your a/c fixed. Definitely a nice option to have!

I'd like to have a/c on my Champion, but if the car had it, it wouldn't even be able to pull away from a stop sign.

Comment

Good job and well done. Nice car BTW, Bob

Comment

Someone before me did the same with my '62 GT, Jake. Blows colder than my 2013 Honda Civic!

Name:	IMG_1744.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1720503

Name:	IMG_1958.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1720504
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Cool stuff Jake!! Nice you are very resourceful.
              I got a little creative a couple of years ago with my '83 Avanti and found an A/C industrial service guy who resides nearby. He came over and fully serviced the system and refreshed the R-12 (still available for industrial use) which understandably was a little low after 30+ years. Low and behold, he got the temperature coming out of the vents to 28 Degrees! These old systems are so robust they just need half a chance to perform as intended.
              Congrats.
              Bill

Comment

R12 is not that hard to find. I see it at every sizeable swap meet.I attended the Charlotte Auto Fest in early April and saw many cans of R12. Check E bay.

Comment

Jake, good going! What did you find that indicated it had been switched to R 134?
                  Perry
                  \'50 Business Champion
                  \'50 Starlight Champion
                  \'60 Lark Convertible,
                  \'63 GT R1,
                  \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
                    Jake, good going! What did you find that indicated it had been switched to R 134?
                    I found that someone before me had done a little bit of tinkering with the factory A/C compressor. He (or she) had installed an adapter plate into the side of the unit with two bleeder valves that were of a different dimension than factory. That, and the fact that there was also a reconditioned accumulator present confirmed this.
                    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Working...
                    X