PDA

View Full Version : Wire Wheels?

JLau
04-30-2018, 04:24 PM
There is a debate going on here at work about the 57 Golden Hawk factory wheel options. Were wire spoke wheels available in 1957?

Thanks,
John

TWChamp
04-30-2018, 04:34 PM
Years ago I heard they were an Option. I wonder if it was an option that sold so few they weren't even listed in advertising?

In the 70's I learned that real wire wheels were an option on Corvairs, but I've only seen one set, and heard about a second set. They were made with a splined hub and knock off center spinner. Foolishly I didn't buy the set for $200 when I saw them.

Commander Eddie
04-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Wow! You debate Studebaker stuff at work? I wanna work there!

Stude Shoo-wop!
04-30-2018, 04:58 PM
I believe they were available, through the period Newman-Altman S-P accessory books, as a (roughly) $150 option.

studegary
04-30-2018, 09:11 PM
There is a debate going on here at work about the 57 Golden Hawk factory wheel options. Were wire spoke wheels available in 1957?

Thanks,
John

True wire wheels were not an option on 1957 Hawks. I believe that the confusion comes in due to the simulated wire wheel wheelcover that was an option starting in mid-1956 model year. 1957 Hawk sales literature referred to those wheelcovers as; "spoke-type wheel discs".

studegary
04-30-2018, 09:15 PM
I believe they were available, through the period Newman-Altman S-P accessory books, as a (roughly) $150 option.

When you say "period" you can not be referring to 1957, as there were no Newman-Altman books at that time. N-A MAY have offered them much later than 1957 as fitting Hawks. This would make them far removed from "factory wheel options" as the OP asked about.

Scott
04-30-2018, 10:55 PM
Could it be there was a factory show car that had them on just for an event?
True wire wheels were not an option on 1957 Hawks. I believe that the confusion comes in due to the simulated wire wheel wheelcover that was an option starting in mid-1956 model year. 1957 Hawk sales literature referred to those wheelcovers as; "spoke-type wheel discs".

drrotor
05-01-2018, 12:47 AM
They are not an option for my ‘56 Golden Hawk... they are mandatory.

Stude Shoo-wop!
05-01-2018, 04:27 PM
When you say "period" you can not be referring to 1957, as there were no Newman-Altman books at that time. N-A MAY have offered them much later than 1957 as fitting Hawks. This would make them far removed from "factory wheel options" as the OP asked about.

Yes, I did mean later on into the 1970s and 80s. I missed that key word "factory" the first time I read the original post.

studegary
05-01-2018, 08:59 PM

Yes, but I do not consider them as a factory option due to that. For example, the Hawk that had its roof two-tone for show, but was not a factory option.

8E45E
05-02-2018, 07:14 AM

Your statement, "True wire wheels" is confusing. At best, I take it you are referring to the removable wheel covers that are made to appear like a true spoked wheel that were offered from 1953 through mid-1956, and again from late-1964 to 1966.

"True wire wheels" were not offered on ANY postwar Studebaker, period!

Kelsey-Hayes did manufacture true spoke wheels in limited numbers for Cadillac, Buick Skylarks and Ford Thunderbird and a handful of other low-production cars at the time, but Studebaker never offered them. Not until the early 1970's did Nate Altman add Borrani wire wheels on the Avanti II option list.

Craig

8E45E
05-02-2018, 07:23 AM

A couple of 1963 G.T. Hawk showcars did, including this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?30997-From-the-Archives-26-(1963-Chicago-auto-show) , http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?103724-quot-My-Car-Story-quot-1963-Motor-Trend-cover-car-2017-MCACN&highlight=mcacn , the 'Black Hawk' show car, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?41059-From-the-Archives-69-(1963-Auto-Show-Avanti-etc) and I believe the first SuperHawk #1 that is currently in the Bell collection had them installed by the factory.

Craig

JLau
05-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Wow! You debate Studebaker stuff at work? I wanna work there!

Ha! I manage a classic car collection for a gentleman. Sort of a dream job for a lot of people.

t walgamuth
05-02-2018, 06:59 PM
I knew a family in Greencastle which had a corvair with real wires. I thought they were dealer installed options.

PackardV8
05-02-2018, 08:49 PM
That's why it's so difficult to recruit IM show judges. I've had innumerable similar conversations over the past sixty years. "Those chrome wire wheels, 2x4-bbls 374" Caribbean, twin superchargers, 4-speed, leather interior, disc brakes, Twin Traction, magnesium wheels, et al, are just tooo cool. I want them on my '53K/early Lark/Avanti/GT, but I want to be able to enter it in the stock class and find some documentation that it was factory original."

jack vines

studegary
05-02-2018, 08:52 PM
That's why it's so difficult to recruit IM show judges. I've had innumerable similar conversations over the past sixty years. "Those chrome wire wheels, 2x4-bbls 374" Caribbean, twin superchargers, 4-speed, leather interior, disc brakes, Twin Traction, magnesium wheels, et al, are just tooo cool. I want them on my '53K/early Lark/Avanti/GT, but I want to be able to enter it in the stock class and find some documentation that it was factory original."

jack vines

I was an authenticity judge at MANY SDC International Meets. I tried to be lenient on some questionable items, but if I thought that the claim was "off the wall" I would require documentation. I always gave the owner an opportunity to document something before deducting a point.