Trans issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans issues

Hi yall. Havent posted in a bit, probably 2-3 years. Im on bended knee, asking for advice. A number of years ago, my 3spd Hawk and I had a misunderstanding, culminating with some damage to my cluster gear, which was subsequently replaced, along with most of the bearings. The repair was around 3 years ago. Even after the repair, she had a slight tick in first, which I attributed to the damaged cluster possibly nicking a tooth or two. Ive put several thousand miles on her since then. Saturday morning, the tick became a rattle..only in first. Second, third, reverse, all good. I was driving it in the parking lot that our little car meetup happens in, when she locked up in first..I couldn't even move the gearshift. So, I thought Id try to ease her forward, when she shuddered and released the gearshift. I drove her home in 2nd and 3rd with no issues. In my driveway, I eased her forward in first, and I could feel the car "cogging"..bumping as it moved forward. Im pretty sure 1st is toast, or a piece of the damaged cluster that we never saw was floating around and settle between some teeth. Either way, the trans has to come out. My question is what are my options other than rebuilding the 3 speed? I don't mind the tranny, she has an overdrive and drives well, but Ive been jonesing for a floor shift since I bought her in 2010. How common are 5 speed or auto swaps in these cars, and what am I looking at for the changeover, if I decide to go that route? Myh car is a 61 Hawk, 289. 3speed manual with O/D. Any help, ideas or smart comments welcome.
    Cash

The standard with overdrive is a good combination in a '61 Hawk. I suggest either rebuilding what you have or put a replacement of the same type in.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Cash

I will have a rebuilt transmission that will fit your car in South Bend this week, not sure where McKenney is.
      Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Originally posted by jerezstude View Post
        Cash

I will have a rebuilt transmission that will fit your car in South Bend this week, not sure where McKenney is.
        Jerry Kurtz
        McKinney is just north of Dallas Texas. Don't think I can make it to South Bend, unfortunately

Comment

Cash
          I would contact Mark Frank owner of MDS engine service in Bruceville, Tx. 254-857-8545 or 254-722-7757. He can probably help you out. He will either have one, know where one is or can do an excellent job repairing yours for reasonable price. He's worked on two of my Studebaker transmissions in the past so I know first hand.
          Mike Kelly
          Regional Manager
          Texas
          1963 Lark Cruiser
          1962 GT Hawk
          1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

X2 on staying with the 3-speed OD and adding a floor shift. It's the best all-around CASO combination. The T86s are still available for cheap. The Hurst Indy is available for not too much.

Yes, 5-speeds are better, but can be expensive to do right.

No, the car won't be any faster or better fuel economy with a 5-speed.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I think $3,000 is good ball park est. to switch over to a aod or 5 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                X2 on staying with the 3-speed OD and adding a floor shift. It's the best all-around CASO combination. The T86s are still available for cheap. The Hurst Indy is available for not too much.

Yes, 5-speeds are better, but can be expensive to do right.

No, the car won't be any faster or better fuel economy with a 5-speed.

jack vines
                Jack, I want to do that so bad it hurts, but from what Ive been told the Hurst Indy shifter rods will not clear the O/D solenoid. Have I been misinformed, or do you know a workaround?
                Thanks!
                Cash

Comment

Originally posted by Cash View Post
                  Jack, I want to do that so bad it hurts, but from what Ive been told the Hurst Indy shifter rods will not clear the O/D solenoid. Have I been misinformed, or do you know a workaround? Thanks! Cash
                  Yes, I've done it both ways. On trucks, I make a bracket to mount the shifter higher and forward and then can use straight rods. On cars, the shifter usually wants to be further back, so I bend the rods to go over the solenoid.

The one caveat is never, ever attempt to do this with the transmission in situ. That's next to impossible. However, since you're going to do a tranny swap anyway, with the tranny out on the bench, it's very easy to see what needs to be done to clear what.

Also, if you're going to DIY, consider searching for the better Hurst. The Indy is actually an old Mr. Gasket design and not a true Hurst.

jack vines
                  Last edited by PackardV8; 04-30-2018, 03:57 PM.
                  PackardV8

Comment

Okay y’all...looks like I’m going with a gm aod swap. My good buddy, Mike Griffin and I are going to do the swap. He’s done one before, as he has a 700r4 in his GT Hawk, but since were going form a 3speed manual to an automatic, I was wondering if there’s a fairly complete list of what I will need to do this right. I’m also think of doing a floor shifter instead of trying to source an auto column. Any help or guidance welcome.
                    The car is a 61 289 Hawk, the original trans is a t86 with o/d, and she has a 3.73 rear end.
                    Cash

Comment

Does your Hawk have Manual or Power Brakes? The Automatic Trans. Brake Pedal Parts vary depending on that.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Manual brakes

Comment

I JUST did a conversion from Manual to Automatic Trans. on a very nice '57 Golden Hawk, so I have listed all the correct conversion Parts for it and copied here:

Brake Pedal Lever 536141
                          Pedal Pad 536378
                          Pull back Spring 535189 (7 1/8")
                          Pedal Shaft Bushing 517152 (2)
                          Rod, Pedal to M/C 534901
                          Bolt, to Pedal G138018

I left off all of the Shift Column Parts to convert to Auto since you only would need a 4 Speed "Bell" to get rid of the Column Shift Lever CORRECTLY, or Not.

Using a floor shift and GM Trans. conversion will simplify THAT, and complicate many other things like: Throttle Pressure Control, New Driveshaft, Speedometer conversion, Rear Engine Mount Support, number 2 AND 3 Crossmember removal, adding New Crossmember, etc., etc.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich is about done with mine. My GH was original an auto and had a nice 3 sp overdrive conversion years ago. Besides wanting it back to originiaI I couldn't shift as the shifter was located so far left if was under my thigh. At 6'5 it was miserable. I went back and forth many times on what to do. In my case and the specific car I decided return to stock.
                            sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Comment

MY Sky Hawk originally came with the BW automatic, and when it evidently failed it was replaced with a three-speed, not sure if it had OD. The restorer and I agreed to put in an automatic, and luckily he had one bolted to a failed 289. Job done. While I don't normally mind shifting, in today's heavy traffic conditions it would quickly become an annoying chore for me.
                              peter lee

Comment

Working...
                              X