PDA

View Full Version : No. Just no.

StoneDog
04-30-2018, 11:45 AM
I know we're all different and it takes all kinds. It's his car, so he can do what he wants...but, Starsky & Hutch?

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/1964-studebaker-gran-turismo/6575555150.html :lol:

StudeRich
04-30-2018, 12:05 PM
It says Fiberglas "Body", I am pretty sure that the Roof, Floors, Doors, maybe rear Quarters and Deck Lid are NOT!

A Lot of money spent to devalue a '64 GT Hawk. :(

8E45E
04-30-2018, 01:56 PM
It's his car, so he can do what he wants...but,

...he wants to make it someone else's now.

Craig

64V-K7
04-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Bwahahahahahah

Bamajak
04-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Good Job!
Given enough time I think the forum could run off all potential members.
Jack

Stude Shoo-wop!
04-30-2018, 03:51 PM
What I find really interesting is that the kustomiser decided to exchange the 1963-64 style headlight bezels in favor of those from a 1962 and then paint them to match the body. Also, I find the basic design to be good (not great mind you), but that ridiculous plug made for the "grillets" and the insertion of tacky amber reflectors (?) in its place ruin it.

Lou Van Anne
04-30-2018, 04:51 PM
I'll pass, thank you.

Jerry Forrester
04-30-2018, 05:04 PM
I like that car. I don't care much for the Starsky and Hutch paint job or the customized front end. But other than those few things, I like it.

sals54
04-30-2018, 07:31 PM
I like that car. I don't care much for the Starsky and Hutch paint job or the customized front end. But other than those few things, I like it.

Ditto. Besides, its not a bad looking car for a cheap price. And its easily changed back to original.

PackardV8
04-30-2018, 07:52 PM

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?

Agree, Jerry, without the paint and the custom front end and it's back to being a GT Hawk; what's not to like?

jack vines

Silverplate
04-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Probably the prototype for Starsky & Hutch.

Cruzzar
04-30-2018, 11:06 PM
Is it me or does the grill look not to be connected to the hood? Could it have a fiberglass 53/54 hood?

plee4139
05-01-2018, 04:26 AM
Ditto. Besides, its not a bad looking car for a cheap price. And its easily changed back to original.

Practicality rules!

plee4139
05-01-2018, 04:41 AM
We, as Studebaker owners are especially sensitive about what certain individuals do to their cars because they are so rare. Whenever I encounter a particularly bad "customization" I usually weigh in by suggesting that they leave these cars alone and to please find some Ford, Chevy, or other marque of which there are many more examples. Sometimes I get a rather hostile retort that "It's a free country," etc, etc, and the rest of the shopworn shibboleths and cliches which often accompany them. Of course while bad or even questionable taste can't or shouldn't be legislated or mandated, one would hope that the next owner will please restore it to its former glory. Please excuse the insane and inane ramblings of an old Studie owner and have a great ride.

TWChamp
05-01-2018, 07:01 AM
I agree with Peter. I'm all for keeping the Studebaker history alive and showing original cars to the public.

This is an open forum where many of us give our opinions, so I don't see that as a bad thing or slamming. After all, look what AMC did with the Gremlin and Pacer. Ugly

At least we can all agree on the beautiful cars Studebaker built, like the 53, and Hawks.

55 56 PREZ 4D
05-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Is that a Lark or a Champ grill ?

jclary
05-01-2018, 03:47 PM
Is that a Lark or a Champ grill ?

I'm thinking that is merely the 1964 GT grille insert without the heavy grill surround. Some clever bodywork, but not really a radical alteration. It's just that without the grille surround the insert is laid back onto the hood, which gives it the laid-back look. It is the grille surround that gives the Hawk its verticle orientation. If you look close, there seems to be hood pins in the back of the hood. Therefore, I'm assuming the hood has been converted to pivot up from the rear. Visually, the car is neither all that bad or radical. Mostly an "optical illusion," in its effects. My concern is that the write-up is so sparse in details and pictures.

As we know, engine swaps can be neat or hack jobs. What's the condition of the engine? How is it mounted? How is the suspension? Brakes?

If you are in the market...a visit and close inspection is an absolute requirement. Just like here on this forum, there are folks who struggle to type, and communicating. We need to respect that. If it is something that interests you, go take a look. We don't know the story. The owner might have merely lost interest or could be facing a tragic life-altering event such as a terminal illness, bankruptcy, loss of job, etc. There's always a story.

jnormanh
05-01-2018, 03:58 PM
We, as Studebaker owners are especially sensitive about what certain individuals do to their cars because they are so rare.

Rare? Um, no. Among ordinary cars Kaisers, Frazers, Henry Js are far more rare. As are Hudsons, Nashes, and truly rare cars like Andersons, Stutz, 6 cyl Corvettes, and two passenger Thunderbirds, and some 3000 other brands which have been made in the USA. There are many brands of which only single examples exist.

gordr
05-01-2018, 04:06 PM
I actually don't mind the Starsky and Hutch stripe. Gives the car a way different look for $20 worth of paint. But the lay-down grille is plumb ugly. And if you offer a car (custom or stock) for sale on a public venue like eBay, you are implicitly inviting viewers to form an opinion of it. The hope is that one or more of the viewers form a sufficiently high opinion of it to place a bid.

55 56 PREZ 4D
05-01-2018, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=jclary;1108082]I'm thinking that is merely the 1964 GT grille insert without the heavy grill surround.

Second look, it looks like he painted the surround and leaned the whole assembly back. Without blending it into the hood contours.
Third look. Removed the surround then leaned back and fit the grill into a flat filler piece.

skyway
05-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Kind of a "Trailer-Toter" bob to the front of the hood. But for the fact that the grill and surround are the first to get hit in an accident, what with the side grill treatment, I wonder if it was an attempt to "repair" some front end damage?

t walgamuth
05-02-2018, 07:00 AM
Kind of a "Trailer-Toter" bob to the front of the hood. But for the fact that the grill and surround are the first to get hit in an accident, what with the side grill treatment, I wonder if it was an attempt to "repair" some front end damage?

Could be......

52hawk
05-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Good Job!
Given enough time I think the forum could run off all potential members.
Jack
Yep! This is the best price I've seen advertised for any Hawk for quite some time.

Jeff_H
05-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I don't like the front end job. It needs something different than what they did. I DO like the S&H stripe though. It looks good from the side IMO. Only I would have deleted those ribbed moldings at the base of the C pillar as they break up the stripe and don't fit with it.

Hawklover
05-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Paisan, only two words come to mind.......Disgraziato, or if you are from Brooklyn.....Disgrazia!!

8E45E
05-02-2018, 07:55 PM
I never really cared for the S&H stripe on the Torino upon which it was based, though it does work well as it lines up with angle of the C-pillar to good effect on this Hawk. Instead of being a blatant copy in painting white, perhaps the owner could have painted it silver and revived the 'Silver Arrow' title for it; a name once held by Studebaker.

As others have said, that front end has to go!

Craig

avanti-hawk
05-02-2018, 08:26 PM
Yep! This is the best price I've seen advertised for any Hawk for quite some time.
I agree. It's a bargain priced Hawk in need of paint and work.

Don't beat it up, unless you have a better car for sale for less money?.................?
Didn't think so