PDA

View Full Version : Now WTF???

plee4139
04-28-2018, 03:26 PM
So there i was happily detailing the engine bay, getting rid of all the grime form being in the shop for so long, being extra careful not to dislodge or disturb anything, and I notice this blue wire with a clip on the end, coming out of a bundle of wires, just hanging there. As it's only a few inches long, there's only so many places it can reach, including through a hole in the firewall where it can be reached. looked under the dash and didn't see anything which would hold a clip without one attached. Also, the temp gauge wasn't working at all, and I saw some water on the frame below the water pump which was replaced. now, one of the reasons the engine failed was because it wasn't hooked up properly, but I felt (couldn't see) the back of it and it felt secure. Is this a coincidence? Is God punishing me for enjoying my car so much?

Noxnabaker
04-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Might be, but it deep-ends on the kind of god being around at that moment... ;)

StudeRich
04-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Define a Blue Wire with a "CLIP"?

Usually correct or Factory wire ends are a Round Bullet connector, Male or Female, or a Flat Spade Type connector Male or Female.

OR, a "CLIP" is usually a Temporary Alligator "Clip".

jclary
04-28-2018, 04:34 PM
If it is a short wire, close to the firewall, perhaps it goes to the coolant sending unit. Some of these, instead of an "eyelet" type connector that is fastened to a threaded post with a nut...instead was a flat ended stud with a clip style wire connector that merely slid onto the sending unit. Check it out.

dleroux
04-28-2018, 04:43 PM
Keldoran God of Cars
http://fictspedia.wikia.com/wiki/Keldoran_God_of_Cars

swvalcon
04-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Which side of firewall? Lt side or drivers is where your temp sending unit wire should be close to the fire wall. Sending unit should be at the back of the Lt head on a 289.

r1lark
04-28-2018, 06:34 PM
Is this a retorical question, or are you expecting help to figure out what this wire is?

If you need help, then the make, year, model, and equipment of the car might assist us in helping you. Even better would be a picture of this wire and clip...............

RadioRoy
04-28-2018, 07:15 PM
Sometimes, if the car has an automatic transmission, the wiring harness has what appears to be an extra wire that went to the overdrive, if the car had been so equipped.

But I agree with the request for information on what the car is.

jrlemke
04-28-2018, 07:32 PM
The temp sender on my '61 Hawk has a "clip", but the wire is orange. - Jim

TWChamp
04-28-2018, 09:27 PM
When I read "clip" I think of alligator clip. What type of terminal is on the end of the wire?

Also need the information as mentioned above.

plee4139
04-29-2018, 05:13 AM
If it is a short wire, close to the firewall, perhaps it goes to the coolant sending unit. Some of these, instead of an "eyelet" type connector that is fastened to a threaded post with a nut...instead was a flat ended stud with a clip style wire connector that merely slid onto the sending unit. Check it out.

That sounds right. Now where is the cooling sending unit located?

jclary
04-29-2018, 05:18 AM
Which side of firewall? Lt side or drivers is where your temp sending unit wire should be close to the fire wall. Sending unit should be at the back of the Lt head on a 289.

That sounds right. Now where is the cooling sending unit located?

Er...I too have sometimes not read posts closely.;)

plee4139
04-29-2018, 05:25 AM
Define a Blue Wire with a "CLIP"?

Usually correct or Factory wire ends are a Round Bullet connector, Male or Female, or a Flat Spade Type connector Male or Female.

OR, a "CLIP" is usually a Temporary Alligator "Clip".

It looks like the type of clip used to connect speaker wires.

jclary
04-29-2018, 05:47 AM
OK...I found this "on the net"...https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROjscWM9Z9dP-HIyftLNbLxmHWYlM6koAKbxaDA2TipHw-uuok I think I have one like this on my '60 Lark.

Mrs K Corbin
04-30-2018, 06:54 AM
Coolant temp sensor is generally located on the back of one head.

r1lark
04-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Peter, no offense, but you can't expect an accurate answer when you have not told us the year or the model or type of engine in this car!

Best we know, this could be a Champion flathead six cylinder, a Commander flathead six cylinder, a '61 thru '64 OHV six cylinder, a 56 Golden Hawk with a Packard V8, a '51 thru '64 Studebaker V8, a '65/'66 McKinnon 6 cylinder, or a '65/'66 McKinnon V8. All of these are different engines with the temp sensor in different locations. And these are only the postwar Studebakers!

:confused: :(

64studeavanti
04-30-2018, 10:46 AM
From previous posts, I would guess 56 Skyhawk 289. However, it would be much more informative to state year, model and engine without any one making an assumption.

plee4139
04-30-2018, 12:21 PM

A new car collector friend of mine felt it with his hand and reconnected it. I would never have found it. Back in business, temp gauge wise!