Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t9 transmission or a better replacement needed

Transmission needed. I have a 49 2r17a,

Popped off the tower, and the gears are badly worn, obviously the other guy didn't know how to double clutch. Hard to hit 3rd, whines like a bus when it does go in...

I'll gladly upgrade transmissions, it's a T9 now...but I need a PTO, since this is a dump flatbed.

I'm Going to the South Bend Meet this spring.

What do you have, and what do you need for it?

There masochists who will encourage you to keep the T9 and practice your double clutch. JMHO, but since T98s are thick on the ground, I'd go with one of those.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

so, before I buy.....a t98 will fit my existing and painstakingly dialed in bell housing?

and a t98 is syncro in 2,3,&4th...but not 1st and reverse....

Comment

I have an M16 with 2300 miles on it and should have a T9.
        The truck has set for 70 years and was vandalized.The engine and trans are complete and very low milage. grille missing. Belonged to a Studebaker dealer in Ladd Illinois and was seldom used.
        Nice wheels etc. $1000.00 but it will take some doing to get it on a trailer. Come look at it on the way to the May meet. No pictures
        I am 100 miles west of South Bend at the intersection of Interstate 80 and Interstate 55.
        I also have two T9's out that you can look at.
        Robert Kapteyn
        studebaker@mac.com
        815 212 2389 text

Comment

Originally posted by nwi-region-rat View Post
          and a t98 is syncro in 2,3,&4th...but not 1st and reverse....
          None of the old-school truck 4-speeds with which I'm familiar had synchro 1st/reverse. FWIW, 1st gear on old truck 4-speeds is only ever used to pull a full load out of a hole. Most are about 5:1 ratio and are seldom used in street driving; so synchro on the top three covers all the normal usage.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

If I am reading the parts book correctly (have no personal experience myself), the T9 family and the T98 family use different bell housings.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

I did a T9-T98 swap a while ago. Had to turn the out side diameter of the nose cone to fit the T9 bell housing. The different part number bell housing would be for the hole machined a little larger.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                There masochists who will encourage you to keep the T9 and practice your double clutch. JMHO, but since T98s are thick on the ground, I'd go with one of those.

jack vines
                .........When I restored my '47M5, I was lucky enough to acquire 2 T9s to make one good one to install in my project....I'm not a "masochist", and I did enjoy the challenge to learn how to drive again......Once i learned the nuances of double clutching and rpm timing, driving the truck became a pleasure..........

Comment

Big thanks (again) to DieselJim.....found me a trans with PTO.....

Comment

Originally posted by nwi-region-rat View Post
                    Big thanks (again) to DieselJim.....found me a trans with PTO.....
                    And it is a T98.

Comment

anyone need any parts of my T9 once I remove it? Anything I should keep from it? Keeping the parking brake and drum. Keeping the straight gear pto....keeping the shifter and tower?

Comment

Working...
                      X