PDA

View Full Version : How does a correct 2R Climatizer connect?

52-fan
04-27-2018, 07:40 PM
My pickup came to me with a strange duct arrangement for the Climatizer. Today I removed the aluminum pipe, some kind of air valve and the galvanized pipe that was soldered to it. I would like to put things back close to stock like the green truck shown. The parts book only shows a rubber gasket where the flexible hose connects. Is there a flange or something else? We don't have any other 2R pickups around here.

Greenstude
04-28-2018, 08:33 AM
It is just as simple as the parts book shows --- the 4-inch flexible tube slips over the flanges on the Climatizer and on the inner fender. It is held in place by a hose clamp at each end.

If this were my truck it also would be getting a new wiring harness. It looks like there has been a bit of home-made electrical work done, in addition to the normal deterioration of aged wires.

52-fan
04-28-2018, 09:33 AM
It is just as simple as the parts book shows --- the 4-inch flexible tube slips over the flanges on the Climatizer and on the inner fender. It is held in place by a hose clamp at each end.

If this were my truck it also would be getting a new wiring harness. It looks like there has been a bit of home-made electrical work done, in addition to the normal deterioration of aged wires.

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if all the 2R owners had moved to Facebook. ;)
I guess my question is, what does the clamp attach to on the fender end? Does the rubber seal have a flange built in or I missing a part? I haven't got the shop manual for this truck and I don't see anything in the parts book.
RE The wiring harness. It is all going away. The whole thing is a mess. Difference sizes and types of wire, a burned section over the distributor area, wires that are no longer attached, wires with no terminals and wire nuts! I have already pulled out several unused wires since the pictures were taken.
Question about things like the Climatizer come to me while I am working on other things. I now have a carburetor pieced together from ones I had here, a good air cleaner, a 12 volt coil to replace the 6 volt one, and a good dual point distributor ready to go in for the singed one with no clips that was on the engine. I will probably just hot wire the engine to test it.

Greenstude
04-28-2018, 04:13 PM
It has been 27 years since I sold my 1949 2R5, so I'm working from memory. The 4-inch air duct should fit directly onto a flange accessing the air passage inside the inner fender. It is held in place by the clamp (illustration 2401-9). There are no other parts.

What year is your truck? 6-volt or 12-volt? It has to be all of one system. The coil must match the rest of the electrical components. My truck was 6-volt which I never was tempted to switch as it ran very well. Seeing the V-8 engine in yours I assume it is newer, and therefore may be totally 12-volt and not a 2R5.

Greenstude
04-28-2018, 04:18 PM
It has been 27 years since I sold my 1949 2R5, so I'm working from memory. The 4-inch air duct should fit directly onto a flange accessing the air passage inside the inner fender. It is held in place by the clamp (illustration 2401-9). The other end is held onto the Climatizer by the clamp (illustration 2409-13). There are no other parts.

What year is your truck? 6-volt or 12-volt? It has to be all of one system. The coil must match the rest of the electrical components. My truck was 6-volt which I never was tempted to switch as it ran very well. Seeing the V-8 engine in yours I assume it is newer, and therefore may be totally 12-volt and not a 2R5.

Skip Lackie
04-28-2018, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=52-fan;1107605]Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if all the 2R owners had moved to Facebook. ;)]

There were three different heater designs used during the long 2R series run. That particular hose attachment design was only used on the type A heater, so those with the later designs wouldn't necessarily be able to help.

52-fan
04-28-2018, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=Skip Lackie;
There were three different heater designs used during the long 2R series run. That particular hose attachment design was only used on the type A heater, so those with the later designs wouldn't necessarily be able to help.[/QUOTE]

The book I am using goes up to 1956 so I did not realize all three heaters were used on the 2R model. I see that the same hose arrangement is used on A and B types. I guess I will try to find someone in South Bend who knows next weekend.

jackb
04-29-2018, 09:05 AM
If I see correctly, you have a custom flange attached to the inner fender ? There is a special Studebaker plenum box & duct piece that screw onto the inner fender. I very obvious, stock, item. I can't see exactly what you have there.... might be correct. I have mine connected to the box & fender piece with 4 inch dryer hose and large screw-type clamps...

jackb
04-29-2018, 09:06 AM
If I see correctly, you have a custom flange attached to the inner fender ? There is a special Studebaker plenum box & duct piece that screw onto the inner fender. I very obvious, stock, item. I can't see exactly what you have there....but doesn't look to be correct. I have mine connected to the box & fender piece with 4 inch dryer hose and large screw-type clamps...

52-fan
04-29-2018, 11:33 AM
That "custom" flange is a rough fit. The rusty piece with the door inside might be adaptable to the fender end. The cable going to it is supposed to be connected to a heater valve on the stock six.