No announcement yet.

Hiding a 3/4 ton hub. Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding a 3/4 ton hub. Any suggestions?

One of the things I am not thrilled with about my new truck is the heavy rear end. Someone swapped in what I am told is a Dana 60 out of a later 3/4 ton truck. They did put 15" wheels on it though. Eventually I will change to a more 1/2 ton appropriate rear end, but I will use what I have for now.
    I am thinking of putting wheel covers on the wheels. I even test fitted a cover off my Commander. Anybody have any suggestions for hiding those big hubs or should I just paint them and leave them exposed?
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

No idea on how to cover the hub, but that Dana 60 may have some real value to the off-roaders in your area. Could make the swap more economical.
    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
      No idea on how to cover the hub, but that Dana 60 may have some real value to the off-roaders in your area. Could make the swap more economical.
      I am hoping that is the case. They may have to wait a while. Lots to do first, but I am loving planning it all.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Throw on a set of Studebaker wheel discs that will fit over the hub. Start looking for an Explorer rear end with disc brakes for your upgrade. Of course a set of discs for the front are required first.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I'd guess there's ten 1/2 ton rears for your one 3/4 ton(10:1).....I'd suggest, but you may already be, double posting on the truck site...

Comment

Nice looking truck for now I would paint the hubs front and rear same color black , red then paint the wheels white - off white maybe some beauty rings.

Comment

Most of the pre-'90s Dodge/Ford/GM/IH used that rear and had wheel covers which masked but didn't cover the hub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1720428

JMHO, but I prefer a truck to look like a truck. Were it mine, I'd be considering switching to 8-lug front hubs and 16" tires on truck wheels. Since a way some owners like to fancy up an old truck is to put new aluminum/chrome wheels on it, on craigslist, there are piles of nice looking factory 8-lug painted steel, chrome and aluminum wheels going for scrap prices, some even with usable tires.

These happen to be for the later bolt pattern, but an example of what $195 will buy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00V0V_6NqEy20kPdP_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1720429

jack vines
              Last edited by PackardV8; 04-25-2018, 11:46 AM.
              PackardV8

Comment

I too, would prefer the dana 60, and cpnvert the front to 8 hole hubs. That large hub means it has heavy adjustable rear bearings, and full floating rear axles. A very strong combination.
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Those Wheels have to be Ford, Chevy or Dodge since Studebaker never used any 8 Lug, 15 Inch Wheels on 3/4 Ton Trucks. So your options for the smaller "Hub Caps" to fit whatever the Wheels are, should be almost endless!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'd rather my 1/2 ton didn't look like a 3/4 ton, but that's me. I thought someone might have a suggestion, maybe with pictures.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

This is what my brother did to his 3/4 ton looks like a working truck stainless nuts on axle acorn nuts on wheel stainless trim ring
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's a really sweet looking Transtar. The long wheelbase helps make the hubs look more normal. I guess I could paint everything and just run hubcaps on the front.
                        Attached Files
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                          That's a really sweet looking Transtar. The long wheelbase helps make the hubs look more normal. I guess I could paint everything and just run hubcaps on the front.
                          I did a search and tried to find you some of the "generic" (no brand logo) wheel covers/hubcaps that I see on RV's. However, seems like the size starts at 16" rims and goes up from there. Like someone as already suggested, a contrasting color (perhaps matching what's used in your grille), chrome lug nuts, and beauty rings would really make that red truck dazzle!
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My daily driver is a 1967 GMC truck. It’s a 3/4 ton and has the same axle as this one. The hub doesn’t bother me at all.

Comment

Working...
                            X