PDA

View Full Version : Clear Vinyl Seat (Slip-On) Covers

NCDave51
04-25-2018, 08:06 AM
Aside from the obvious hot-weather skin-adhesion challenges with these 1940-1950's technology covers....I had a kit made by Auto-Craft years ago for a '63 Dodge 330 to protect - yet still see - my OEM upholstery. They were distributed through good-old JC Whitney back in the 90's.

Has anyone had a clear vinyl kit made for their Studebaker, in recent years, from a supplier that may still be out there...- ?

Son O Lark
04-25-2018, 08:24 AM
Last time I asked same question, the answer was "Why should you do that when people can make new upholstery for the same price as a clear cover?"

NCDave51
04-25-2018, 08:26 AM
Last time I asked same question, the answer was "Why should you do that when people can make new upholstery for the same price as a clear cover?"
Clearly (pun-intended) these people who ask have no desire to preserve history....

RadioRoy
04-25-2018, 10:11 AM
I got mine from JC Whitney some years ago. Have you looked in their catalog?

Skip Lackie
04-25-2018, 10:13 AM
Chevy offered those as a factory accessory in the early 60s. I bought a box of them once -- it had six front seat bottom covers in it. Still haven't worn the first one out after 40 years.

04-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Aside from the obvious hot-weather skin-adhesion challenges with these 1940-1950's technology covers....I had a kit made by Auto-Craft years ago for a '63 Dodge 330 to protect - yet still see - my OEM upholstery. They were distributed through good-old JC Whitney back in the 90's.

Has anyone had a clear vinyl kit made for their Studebaker, in recent years, from a supplier that may still be out there...- ?
Probably 30 years ago I had a few sets of NOS Studebaker accessory seat covers and I could swear that I had a set of clear Studebaker accessory seat covers. However, I can find only the various colors and materials in my 1950 Accessories book. Many of the covers were priced at $6.95 for the entire set.
Back in the days of cloth seat fabrics seat cover sets were very common.

NCDave51
04-25-2018, 01:07 PM
Many thanks, all. It's one of those weird items you'd think our wider industry would still want to reproduce?

JC Whitney was checked and they have moved on, as has LeBaron Bonney (who purchased Auto-Craft).

Keep any suggestions coming - thanks!

Dave

jackb
04-25-2018, 03:23 PM
I would be shocked if they're to be found anywhere but Auto Zone or the FLAPS of your like. I don't even think they make them for couches & seats that were very popular in the 70-80's......

Hawklover
04-25-2018, 04:37 PM
Your attempt to drop the "L" from word Latinos is plainly transparent, and borders on a 'slur'...why go there??? Should have just said they were popular with many groups of people.
I would be shocked if they're to be found anywhere but Auto Zone or the FLAPS of your like. I don't even think they make them for couches & seats that were very popular with the _atinos in the 70-80's......

Stude Shoo-wop!
04-25-2018, 05:21 PM
I wonder why those clear plastic seat covers from JC Whitney were so popular "back in the day"? Perhaps it was a shared attitude of "mend and make do" or maybe it was simply to keep the seats nice and clean for trade-in time?

Jeffry Cassel
04-26-2018, 07:26 AM
I have clear plastic seat covers on my 58 Packard because the upholstery is original and kinda fragile. Do not recall where I got them- probably Auto-Crafters- but they look nice, fit well and keep a survivor.

Skip Lackie
04-26-2018, 07:39 AM
I wonder why those clear plastic seat covers from JC Whitney were so popular "back in the day"? Perhaps it was a shared attitude of "mend and make do" or maybe it was simply to keep the seats nice and clean for trade-in time?

The upholstery materials of those days were not nearly as stain-proof or durable as what we have become accustomed to today. Most people took/take pride in a new car, and putting those clear plastic seat covers on the (at least bottom front) seat would ensure that they didn't get stained or torn. I once bought a used 72 Nova that had had those clear seat covers installed on all the seats by the selling dealer. The underlying seat covers were absolutely pristine.

joncon
04-26-2018, 11:43 AM
My Dad used to always buy those for his new cars, I believe his came from a company named Fingerhut.

Hallabutt
04-26-2018, 02:01 PM
All seat covers used to be very popular, not just the clear vinyl. I got my 55 Speedster from a friend in 1964 he had, had them installed on the original leather seats. I believe that it was done at a franchise named "Surfit." A quick google search shows that they do now are house interior furniture covers. I'm sure that the 60's and the proliferation of new car vinyl, and bucket seats, pretty much did in the form fitting, custom cover industry.

TWChamp
04-27-2018, 05:20 PM
I haven't seen clear seat covers since my dad had them installed on his new 1960 Valiant 9 passenger wagon. I didn't care for them, as they were cold in the winter and sticky in the summer. I just drove my 1950 Land Cruiser home 2 days ago, and I want to protect the nice original upholstery both from dirt, and from fading, so I bought a nice set of flannel bed sheets with a plaid pattern that resembles seat covers of the early 50's.

mch
04-27-2018, 07:44 PM
I spoke to Dave Thibeault for my 64 GT hawk, He supplied an amazing set of red vinyl seats , and door panels that my interior guy installed beautifully. They fit as new. Give him a call, he is a wonderful source

mch
04-27-2018, 07:47 PM
as and addition as I sent to quickly, I bought a pair of red towel from Bed Bathy & Beyond and had a pocket sewed as to hook to the top over the top of the seat as not to sweat when not using the A/C
\

NCDave51
05-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Yes, I too have used a plain white bedsheet in several of my classics to cover the OEM fabric seats....I finally reached out to LeBarron Bonney (famous upholsterer for almost all pre-war US cars) and it turns out they ARE ABLE to produce clear vinyl covers precisely for our bench seats. Costs are $385 for each of the front and back, so not jumping at the offer just yet....$$$$

Given the legendary quality of LBB, however, I expect the look and fit will be first-class. I'll keep the SDC posted if do end up fitting them onto my 10G-W5.

NCDave51
08-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Well, they took a long time to manufacture, but I did go with LBB for a set of clear covers. LBB purchased the assets of EZ Interiors some time back so these were made up at their Maine facility. Excellent quality.

The installed pic was taken the evening of the install. The covers hadn't smoothed-in just yet, but the summer heat should take care of that. I continue to use a white bedsheet on the benches anyways, so thermonuclear skin removal shouldn't be an issue. I just love the look - a option my grandad chose on all of his old cars back in the 60s and 70s.

The other pics are of the rear seat bay and I marveled at what a time warp it was - all grease pencil markings are there, rag scraps use in the holes where the seat back hooks, etc., sprayed tar material all intact, etc. What was interesting to me was the fade line on the still-original cloth (see pic); the rear package tray obviously blocked the limited amount of sun seen by the bench at all. I had a completely different color fabric originally!

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1137743/fullsize/vinyl-seats.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1137742/fullsize/rear-seat-bay.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1137744/fullsize/rear-set-back-fade.jpg

62champ
08-02-2018, 08:24 PM
My grandparents '62 Lark had clear seat covers with those small raised triangle shaped bumps all over them. We would get excited at how they would leave triangle red indentions all over the backs of our legs. Good times.

dpson
08-03-2018, 03:00 AM
My grandparents '62 Lark had clear seat covers with those small raised triangle shaped bumps all over them. We would get excited at how they would leave triangle red indentions all over the backs of our legs. Good times.

That brings back a memory from my youth, my grandparents 60's Dodge Coronet with the clear seat covers with the triangular bumps, I had forgotten about the bumps. The other thing I remember is sitting in the car and hearing the electric clock rewind every now and then. Funny the things we remember.

Kurt
08-03-2018, 06:11 AM

My parents 67 Impala had those as well. Funny how we all have similiar memories.

Silverplate
08-03-2018, 06:30 AM
My dad use to buy a set of plastic seat covers from Fingerhut back in the day for every car he owned. They fit well to.

8E45E
08-03-2018, 07:21 AM
My parents 67 Impala had those as well.

So did my aunt's '67 Meteor Montcalm station wagon.

Craig

chet445
08-03-2018, 07:58 AM
I too wanted to protect the upholstery so purchased a favorable Tartan blanket (different sizes available) to match the car and thus have nice seat cover and preserves what is beneath. Probably won't work if you have a center console unless you split the blanket to fit each seat. Just a thought.

jclary
08-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Regarding clear plastic covers...here in the South, 1950's, almost no one I knew had air conditioning (home or car). For my family, imagine a couple of adults, and six children only 8 years from the oldest to youngest. Hot, irritated, bundles of energetic kids, jostling for a window seat.:(:mad::confused: Then think about the occasional trip to the local A&W DRIVE-IN, where the car hop brought out the window tray full of hot dogs, frosted rootbeer, & ice cream cones. All that stuff rarely made it getting passed from that overloaded tray to each kid without getting sloshed, dropped, or dumped somewhere along the way.:oops:

For any parent who wanted to preserve a small amount of decorum and dignity of their vehicle, those plastic seat covers were an absolute necessity.:)