PDA

View Full Version : May 2018 Turning Wheels

04-24-2018, 04:57 PM
I received mine yesterday (zip 25405), slightly bent in the vertical axis as usual, but not badly enough damaged to bother me.

My thoughts about the issue are that it's the best one yet- great pictures and articles. The cover pictures are just fine in the vertical page format. I think most people will completely forget the concern about the vertical covers not portraying the car pictures as well as the old horizontal covers did. The back inside cover is a great example of portraying a picture of four Cade family cars as submitted by Matthew Burnette.

I particularly enjoyed reading Fred Fox's memories of writing about Studebakers for 50 years, creation of the Sequoia Chapter and memories of the chapter founders. I guess I barely missed being a charter member having moved to the Bay Area in January, 1969. I certainly remember Bart Bartholomew and especially his sons. They caused me to join the SDC and the Sequoia Chapter because of them scaring the daylights out of my wife. They followed her for miles when she had picked up our kids at school and was taking them to the temporary quarters where we were living until we could get in to the house. When she stopped, both boys came to the car and told her all they wanted was to look at the '53 Commander Starliner she was driving. They gave her the green windshield card (mentioned by Fred in the article) and that was the beginning of our long time as SDC members. It was very soon after that when we met Bob Peterson and his wife. They lived less than a mile from where we lived in Castro Valley. We also spent a lot of time with Charlie and Kay Gibbs and son Chuck. Seeing the picture on page 28 of the three white Gibb's Studebakers brings back memories of another experience. One day Charlie called me and said there was to be a parade in Hayward and they would like two Wagonaires in it. It turned out that a square dance club wanted to be able to dance in the open roof wagons as we drove. It worked out fine with Charlie and Kay in the first Wagonaire with two dancers in their car and we followed with two additional dancers.

I also remember the '63 Daytona hardtop that Chuck had, but it's too long a story to post. When we were getting ready to move all the way back to Boston, I had the '64 Wagonaire, a '64 Champ ipickup and a '64 transition model R-1 Avanti. Since we couldn't drive them all, I sold the Avanti to Chuck. Last time I saw it was in Reno at Hot August Nights(?) as he drove by in the Avanti with several of his friends in the car and painted on the side was "Avanti Racing Team" in big letters.

1954khardtop
04-24-2018, 05:10 PM
Got mine Saturday, zip code 12137. Agree it's a good one. I liked the how to article on installing the back glass in a c/k. Wish I had seen that a few years ago, think it would have made things easier.

Jeff_H
04-24-2018, 07:05 PM
I probably get mine by this weekend.

In the nearly 24yrs I've gotten TW, I think maybe only 1 time did I ever get one that was really bent up or ripped. Not sure... Seems to be a rare occurrence for me at least.

60ragtop
04-24-2018, 09:25 PM
Great story Paul. And a very good TW.

Avantidon
04-25-2018, 09:29 AM
Glad to see you are up Frank and moving a little. It's time for a story from you

skyway
04-25-2018, 07:50 PM
Webster (St. Louis) Groves, MO 63119 4/25.

fpstude
04-25-2018, 09:44 PM
I'm looking forward to reading the second part of the '62 GT Hawk story by Fred Fox. The issue came today in Sacramento.

brngarage
04-25-2018, 11:35 PM
Got mine today in Socal (ZIP code 91311). Earliest delivery I can remember in a long time. Great job by all involved!

Warren Webb
04-26-2018, 12:13 AM
Mine came today in Arizona 86337 & gave me a big smile !

55coupe
04-26-2018, 12:37 PM
N. California 95610 4/25

mapman
04-26-2018, 10:35 PM
I got mine 4/25 Idaho 83843

candbstudebakers
04-27-2018, 10:48 AM
Paul I have not received my issue yet maybe today so am looking forward to reading it since I am a charter member of the chapter #84 as for the Bartholomew's both are gone now but the boys Tony and Terry are still around and both retired from the Hayward police force and we still talk when ever I see them. as for the Gibbs they are both also gone but Chuck is here close and just got back into the club and looking for a Avanti, just talked with him at the bar-b-q in Stockton last Sat. along with long time member Steve Kaiser.
Paul are you going to be in South Bend next week? if so maybe we can get together and have dinner like last year. The Chapter is having a 50 year birthday in July at my daughter's house.