It does have power steering!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It does have power steering!

When I first saw my pickup I noticed the combination generator/power steering pump. When I looked down the side of the engine I did not see a power steering box in the shaded area. Also the truck has a stock type steering column and shifter.
    However, my younger daughter was here today and I was showing her the truck. When I was telling her about the combination unit I noticed a hose that disappeared behind the engine. I assumed that the hoses were just dead ends somewhere. After I tracked the hose around to the driver's side it lead me to a power steering box! I thought this thing steered hard just because it has such fat tires. Wow, the hits keep coming. This is actually how I would have tried to install power steering if I was doing it. Up top it looks stock.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

That is AMAZING! You gotta wonder WHAT that Steering Box is out of!

It may be a Saginaw from a GM Car, it does not quite resemble a '57 Stude. version, but could be an earlier one.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      That is AMAZING! You gotta wonder WHAT that Steering Box is out of!

It may be a Saginaw from a GM Car, it does not quite resemble a '57 Stude. version, but could be an earlier one.
      My brother has a 1969 Buick box in his 57 Transtar. We will have to compare them. I would like to have a better horn button arrangement, but it will not work as original. Strangely, the horn will blow from a button taped to the turn signal switch or one of those parts store buttons on the right side of the column. I'm not sure yet if they connect to the same horn.
      Last edited by 52-fan; 10-12-2018, 07:58 AM.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Looks like a Saginaw from GM, late '60s to mid '70s. I have one from a '72 Monte Carlo in my '56 Ford F-100.
        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Wonder what was the last year GM used that PS pump on the rear of the generator?

FWIW, I used a '90s GM Saginaw big car box and the OEM Packard Saginaw PS pump in my Packard powered C-cab.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Wonder what was the last year GM used that PS pump on the rear of the generator?

FWIW, I used a '90s GM Saginaw big car box and the OEM Packard Saginaw PS pump in my Packard powered C-cab.

jack vines
            Joe has a Studebaker type pump on his truck with a Ford lid with a fill cap. I will probably go that route when I add an alternator.
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Saw this same ps/gen setup on a 54 dodge on youtube starting at 9:55.

Nick's Garage shirts, hoodies and stickers! https://teespring.com/stores/nicks-garage-gear-------------------------------------------------------------------...

Comment

I seem to remember that Studebaker used a power steering pump on the rear of the generator in certain rare cases, like 1958 Golden Hawks and Packard Hawks with factory air conditioning. Perhaps someone could look it up - this is from long ago memory (like most of my answers/comments).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X