PDA

View Full Version : Hello Steve Winzar

57pack
04-21-2018, 07:20 AM
Hi Steve, hope you see this. I have another Flight-O-Matic question for you. I PM’ed it so look in your message box.
Thank you again,
Bill

57pack
05-17-2018, 10:40 PM
Hi again Steve, hope you get a chance to check in.
Solved my Flight-O-Matic issue. Not only did I lose the detent ball (it shot off into hyperspace) but...when I got around to reinstalling the gear selector shaft, I installed it 180 out!
Thanks again for your Flight-O-Matic overhaul site, extremely helpful!

Steve Winzar
05-19-2018, 12:24 AM
Hi Bill-
I actually stumbled upon this quite by accident as i am lousy at keeping an eye on PM's! Sorry, but at least I got onto your message within a day or so this time :o. Did my method of detent ball re installation using the holey end of a steel rule work for you? I am so flat-out I can't get onto doing anything about adding onto that Blog, but I acknowledge that it really needs doing. As The Seekers used to sing "some day, one day...". Once again, I thank you for your compliment. I shall check my Messages.
Regards, Steve

DieselJim
05-19-2018, 05:48 AM
I used the flared end of a piece of 5/16 tubing to hold the ball in during assembly.

57pack
05-19-2018, 05:45 PM
When I initially assembled my transmission, I did use the steel rule method you described.
On my second assembly, I couldn’t locate my steel rule. (Grandkids are the usual suspects)
I resorted to the 5/16 tubing method.
So nice to have all gears back where they belong!

Steve Winzar
05-19-2018, 08:08 PM
Bill- A question for you.
When you re assembled your Flightomatic, in your kit of parts, did you receive a square section O-ring for the Front Clutch Piston or a round one?
The Kit I got had lotsa spare ones to suit all the different derivations of 'Type 8' transmissions but they were all round in section and I wasn't that happy with using them. Square O_rings are termed 'X' rings and when I enquire about them here in Oz I get shrugs. If I rebuild another I'd like to opt for a better ring.
Steve