Strange crankcase ventilation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange crankcase ventilation.

Someone commented on the hoses and pipes on the engine in the 52 pickup I just bought. I laid out the pieces and took pictures. Someone was an imaginative "engineer". There are some hoes that had nothing attached. Maybe one of you can figure those out. The engine does have a PVC instead of a road draft tube. The large hose coming out of the top of the lid goes to a pipe welded in the center of the plate that blocks the old oil filler position.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Good Grief!!!!

Comment

That setup would make Rube Goldberg proud. Bud

Comment

I think he may have looked at the hoses used on late 1970's clean air systems. Figured if more hoses work he would just add more hoses

Comment

Looks like a homemade pvc style system. But the hose going from one valve cover to the other is useless. And extra holes in the back for better air intake

Comment

I'm going to catch flack from the purests but so what. The closed system, and routing all the fumes back into the engine is a GOOD idea. Certainly would not do a thing to hurt performance, and it is better for the environment. Also a PCV system is Far far better for the engine than an open tube as far as condensation, and sludge build up.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It would help if it wasn't so ugly. I can't bear to leave it like that.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

A little bit of stainless braided hose and some chrome clamps, this would be a winner at any show.
                I agree with the larger holes in the side of the air cleaner as extra breathing vents. Did it a lot in the mid 60's to get more air in, so that more fuel could be used to get more HP, but I did solder screen over the holes to keep the critters from building condos.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I am pretty bad about cobbo-jobbing stuff under my Studes' hoods, but that guy has me beat. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    I'm going to catch flack from the purests but so what. The closed system, and routing all the fumes back into the engine is a GOOD idea. Certainly would not do a thing to hurt performance, and it is better for the environment. Also a PCV system is Far far better for the engine than an open tube as far as condensation, and sludge build up.
                    I agree, it looks fine and makes sense to me. It's not much different than my GT, only difference is I have a second pcv valve in place in the old oil filler block off plate instead of a third breather tube. His may work a bit better at high rpm while mine should work better at low rpm.

Comment

That's one way to ignore excessive blowby
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Looks like an attempt to convert it to a Chrysler style used in the early smog days.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I agree with Brad.
                          A properly executed closed PCV setup will keep the outside of the engine clean.
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                            I agree with Brad.
                            A properly executed closed PCV setup will keep the outside of the engine clean.
                            I figure that is why the valve covers are as rusty as they are. No protective oil mist.
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                            X