PDA

View Full Version : Why it wouldn't run. ;)

52-fan
04-20-2018, 11:17 AM
I knew the seller of my new-to-me 52 pickup had someone trying to get the full flow 259 running. They had at least one backfire and the carburetor is now incomplete. I can deal with it, but yesterday I was removing the strangely modified air cleaner and taking pictures for posterity. I saw one glaring mistake someone made. Do you see it? Ignore the wire nuts and such.

studebaker of lompoc
04-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Missing gasket for top half of carb!

64V-K7
04-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Don't know about the air cleaner, but that generator/PS pump is a piece of gold. This Pickup have power steering?

oilnsteel
04-20-2018, 11:46 AM
The battery hold down is missing.

gordr
04-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Accelerator pump plunger is missing altogether. And that engine could best be described as "festering".

skyway
04-20-2018, 12:13 PM
Is that combo gen/ps pump some brand's OEM, or home made?
Also, breather modifications like those are often an attempt to deal with a REAL oil burner.

DEEPNHOCK
04-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Gotta hook the fuel line up, don't you?:rolleyes:

StudeRich
04-20-2018, 12:28 PM
That must be a Chrysler Product's Stromberg Carb. it has NO Automatic Choke!

That PCV Crankcase breather setup is just Crazy! I wonder where that HUGE Hose from the Left Oil Cap goes?

Either way, ALL of that Plumbing store/drunk plumber stuff needs to GO!

Mike Sal
04-20-2018, 12:31 PM
From that aircleaner set up, I'd say you may have a mosquito fogger. Looks like the resister wire is buggered up.

52-fan
04-20-2018, 12:43 PM
I mentioned that the carb was incomplete so that's not it. The weird plumbing is apparently (I hope) the hardware to pass California emissions requirements.
1. The truck has been out of California at least since 2004 so I hope it was not burning lots of oil that long.
2. The generator/power steering pump surprised me too. The truck does not have power steering.(just Armstrong ;)) Did some Studebakers use this type briefly?
3. The truck does not have a Palma approved battery hold down, but that would not keep it from running. It does have a pair of twisted steel wires pushed off to one side. More engineering. :o
You will probably have to enlarge the pictures to find the item I am talking about. Look close. When I saw it I was amused.

52-fan
04-20-2018, 12:44 PM
That must be a Chrysler Product's Stromberg Carb. it has NO Automatic Choke!

That PCV Crankcase breather setup is just Crazy! I wonder where that HUGE Hose from the Left Oil Cap goes?

Either way, ALL of that Plumbing store/drunk plumber stuff needs to GO!

I'll take some close-ups of the set-up and post them for posterity. Some rat rodder may want a copy. :)

Noxnabaker
04-20-2018, 01:03 PM
I had the same thought as Jeff but that obviously didn't help... so the vaccum?

52-fan
04-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Ignore the disconnected stuff. Someone was working on the engine and did not put everything back. The item I am referring to is installed, but wrong. Keep looking. :)

Noxnabaker
04-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Can't see how the ignitioncoil-to-distributer cable is run but there's a fried smal cable from the coil...?

Skinnys Garage
04-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Do you think the 6V coil is the issue?

Lamar
04-20-2018, 03:43 PM
Gm used that type gen/pump setup in the mid 50s or there about.

j.byrd
04-20-2018, 03:52 PM
Is that the throttle linkage attached to the choke ? Also, where does the coil wire go that should be in the center of the distributor ? Looks like a regular plug wire.

52-fan
04-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Do you think the 6V coil is the issue?

Bingo! :) There are other problems, but I bet the "mechanic" who they had working on this truck went to his FLAPS and they gave him a coil for a stock 52 Studebaker truck because that's what the computer said.

Jerry Forrester
04-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Bingo! :) There are other problems, but I bet the "mechanic" who they had working on this truck went to his FLAPS and they gave him a coil for a stock 52 Studebaker truck because that's what the computer said.

I don't think that would stop it from running.
But I do think the missing fuel line and the missing accelerator pump may have something to do with it.
Plus that huge vacuum leak at the right front carburetor bolt.

52-fan
04-21-2018, 09:08 AM
I don't think that would stop it from running.
But I do think the missing fuel line and the missing accelerator pump may have something to do with it.
Plus that huge vacuum leak at the right front carburetor bolt.

I wasn't sure if the 6 volt coil would have kept it from running, but it couldn't have been good. It is more of an indication that their mechanic was not careful. The truck was running and driving when the owners became unable to drive any more. The carburetor should not have required replacing. I got a disassembled carb with the truck that I think was the one originally run on it.

52-fan
04-21-2018, 09:12 AM
I hope you guys have enjoyed this little game. I could have just posted a picture and comment about the 6 volt coil, but I thought this was more fun. Now I have to get this thing running so I can take my granddaughter for a ride....if I can get the controls back. :)

jclary
04-21-2018, 09:37 AM
I hope you guys have enjoyed this little game. I could have just posted a picture and comment about the 6 volt coil, but I thought this was more fun. Now I have to get this thing running so I can take my granddaughter for a ride....if I can get the controls back. :)

AND DO IT SOON! If you are like me, you realize how fleeting the time is when a child is this young and time is so precious. It won't be long before this little girl has a little one of her own and you are left clinging to the memories.

By the way, some of the best pics on the forum of recent...:!:

52-fan
04-21-2018, 10:36 AM
She's just turned 3 and stays with us every day during the week. I'll keep her exposed to Studebakers. ;)

altair
04-21-2018, 01:57 PM
I am curious about the electrical system in the truck. Has the truck been converted to 12 volts? Is the truck 6 volts and the engine 12 volts? The 55 259s were 6 volts then 12 volts thereafter. I have a 63 259 in my 54 sedan and it starts and runs on 6 volts. Your 6 volt coil and ballast resistor caught my eye at first. I had to ask myself is the engine running on 6 volts, first question, then why is there a ballast resistor and then I noticed a 12 volt battery. This all confused me, as a 52 should be 6 volts but the engine was 12 volts. Could you explain the electrical system in the truck.

52-fan
04-21-2018, 04:37 PM
I am curious about the electrical system in the truck. Has the truck been converted to 12 volts? Is the truck 6 volts and the engine 12 volts? The 55 259s were 6 volts then 12 volts thereafter. I have a 63 259 in my 54 sedan and it starts and runs on 6 volts. Your 6 volt coil and ballast resistor caught my eye at first. I had to ask myself is the engine running on 6 volts, first question, then why is there a ballast resistor and then I noticed a 12 volt battery. This all confused me, as a 52 should be 6 volts but the engine was 12 volts. Could you explain the electrical system in the truck.

Yes it has been converted to 12 volts. I am not impressed by some of the wiring, but I will replace it all.

04-21-2018, 05:06 PM
I remember actually seeing a '58 Golden Hawk that was factory equipped with a generator/power steering pump and air conditioning. There just wasn't enough room under the hood for an air conditioning compressor along with power steering and a supercharger so Studebaker used them to solve the space problem.

StudeRich
04-21-2018, 05:06 PM
I wasn't sure if the 6 volt coil would have kept it from running, but it couldn't have been good. It is more of an indication that their mechanic was not careful. The truck was running and driving when the owners became unable to drive any more. The carburetor should not have required replacing. I got a disassembled carb with the truck that I think was the one originally run on it.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71890&d=1524319653

You will find that this Top Half is stamped by the Fuel Inlet as 6-125 or 6-127 which is the High Choke '59-'60 Stude. Stromberg WW for the "Clamp on" Air Cleaner.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71856&d=1524241041

The bottom Half of the "Spare" is a '63 6-130, or 6-132 which is a '64, WITH the PCV Fitting (Tube) in the Rear, it's Top would have a Stud fastener for the Air Cleaner, they are NOT compatible.

With the Carb. on the Truck, you might have one complete one!

52-fan
04-21-2018, 06:23 PM
You will find that this Top Half is stamped by the Fuel Inlet as 6-125 or 6-127 which is the High Choke '59-'60 Stude. Stromberg WW for the "Clamp on" Air Cleaner.

The bottom Half of the "Spare" is a '63 6-130, or 6-132 which is a '64, WITH the PCV Fitting (Tube) in the Rear, it's Top would have a Stud fastener for the Air Cleaner, they are NOT compatible.

With the Carb. on the Truck, you might have one complete one!

I'll have to do more digging in the spare parts bins. I know we have older 2 barrel carbs and I have an AFB or WCFB available if I want to change intakes. Right now I just want to get it running and see what I've got.

jclary
04-21-2018, 08:11 PM
To me, it looks like your truck is still sporting the original 6-volt battery box. When the V8's came along, they used a higher sitting battery box to give better clearance by the valve cover. I'm thinking you could probably make one using some angle iron and a little ingenuity. If you have access to a V8 C-cab truck, take a good look at the battery box, how it's built & located. I know it is nothing critical to your current concern (getting it running), but just a little suggestion to consider when you have time to tinker with such matters.:)

52-fan
04-21-2018, 09:49 PM
To me, it looks like your truck is still sporting the original 6-volt battery box. When the V8's came along, they used a higher sitting battery box to give better clearance by the valve cover. I'm thinking you could probably make one using some angle iron and a little ingenuity. If you have access to a V8 C-cab truck, take a good look at the battery box, how it's built & located. I know it is nothing critical to your current concern (getting it running), but just a little suggestion to consider when you have time to tinker with such matters.:)

I'll have to take a closer look at Joe's. I have plenty to keep me busy for a long time.

jclary
04-22-2018, 08:01 AM
I'll have to take a closer look at Joe's. I have plenty to keep me busy for a long time.

Joe certainly has a clean engine bay! And as far as staying "busy," as many of us know...(including you) they're never really done.;)

About the different battery boxes, I'm not sure of the reason, nor do I claim much more knowledge than what I assumed as the reason for them. I believe some of the heavy-duty trucks with the larger six-cylinder engines also had the higher sitting battery boxes. Someone with a more detailed knowledge might enlighten us.

As long as we are playing around with ideas, the original battery location might be a good place for placing a "coolant recovery (expansion) tank later on. Just file that away for future tinkering.:)

jackb
04-23-2018, 07:57 AM
I think many of your posted pics could go into the latest addendum in the Rube Goldberg "Gold" manual.....!

52-fan
04-23-2018, 01:55 PM
I think many of your posted pics could go into the latest addendum in the Rube Goldberg "Gold" manual.....!

Indeed. I can see the hands of more than one person in this set-up. Some things are well done, if a little over built and others just look like someone was in a hurry and didn't really understand the systems.
The truck has a spin-on 64 correct oil filter and a canister type for example. The throttle linkage has a home built mount for the overdrive kick down switch, crude, but effective. It has a strange conglomeration to connect the heater to the air passage in the left inner fender, and someone cut the passage out to put the battery in. (Argh..that was a NOS fender!) Lots to do (or undo) under the hood.
Oh yes, how about the zip tie holding the distributor cap on! I think that was a recent addition. :o

S2Deluxe
04-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Oh yes, how about the zip tie holding the distributor cap on! I think that was a recent addition. :o

That wasn't visible in any of the pics you posted, was it?

Mark

52-fan
04-23-2018, 07:52 PM

Mark

I don't remember. That wasn't what I was talking about originally, but it could have also kept the engine from running if it was loose or the cap not aligned.

52-fan
04-23-2018, 07:55 PM

Mark

Actually, it can be seen in the same picture where you can best read the 6V on the coil. That wasn't what I was talking about originally, but it could have also kept the engine from running if it was loose or the cap not aligned.

S2Deluxe
04-23-2018, 08:16 PM
Actually, it can be seen in the same picture where you can best read the 6V on the coil. That wasn't what I was talking about originally, but it could have also kept the engine from running if it was loose or the cap not aligned.

I clearly see the 6V through the hole in the clamp, but still can't make out anything that even resembles any portion of a zip tie. What color is it?

Mark

52-fan
04-23-2018, 08:49 PM
I clearly see the 6V through the hole in the clamp, but still can't make out anything that even resembles any portion of a zip tie. What color is it?

Mark

Black, hiding in plain sight. :)

S2Deluxe
04-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Black, hiding in plain sight. :)

Ok, thanks, I don't know why I had such difficulty seeing them previously?

Mark

JoeHall
04-23-2018, 10:08 PM
Looks like the fuel line is plugged in to the AC compressor. LOL

52-fan
04-24-2018, 07:31 AM
Looks like the fuel line is plugged in to the AC compressor. LOL

Actually, when the picture was taken the fuel line was blocked with a large bolt that had duct tape wrapped around it. ;)