PDA

View Full Version : Steel companies and Studebaker

Indyted
04-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Did Studebaker every have long term contracts or relationships with certain steel companies. Where did most of the steel come from? Pittsburgh or NW Indiana? Or did it vary as time went on?

Commander Eddie
04-20-2018, 10:39 AM
I know Studebaker had it's own foundry and made some parts from their own steel.

PeterHawk
04-20-2018, 04:06 PM
When Matt Wendt restored his '64 GT Hawk, we found a Bethlehem Steel logo on the interior Door panel.

StudeRich
04-20-2018, 10:28 PM
I think I remember it was a US Steel strike that slowed and or shut the 1955 Model Stude. line down at the end of 1954/beginning of 1955 in addition to a UAW Stude. strike also affecting Stude. Production.

Also keep in mind that MOST of the Bodies, Frames, Wheels etc. of the Cars and Trucks were made by Budd Corp. so THEIR Steel Suppliers would be the Major ones.

1955 was a TERRIBLE year for Studebaker Packard on top of all that, you had the Huge amount of ongoing part changes Plus the Mid-Run wrap around windshield Body change on Sedans and Wagons. :(

Indyted
04-21-2018, 08:27 AM
When Matt Wendt restored his '64 GT Hawk, we found a Bethlehem Steel logo on the interior Door panel.

Maybe from the Burns Harbor plant, just about 1/2 hour away from South Bend.

Indyted
04-21-2018, 08:29 AM
I think I remember it was a US Steel strike that slowed and or shut the 1955 Model Stude. line down at the end of 1954/beginning of 1955 in addition to a UAW Stude. strike also affecting Stude. Production.

Also keep in mind that MOST of the Bodies, Frames, Wheels etc. of the Cars and Trucks were made by Budd Corp. so THEIR Steel Suppliers would be the Major ones.

1955 was a TERRIBLE year for Studebaker Packard on top of all that, you had the Huge amount of ongoing part changes Plus the Mid-Run wrap around windshield Body change on Sedans and Wagons. :(

I did not know that Budd was a major fabricator for Studebaker. Where was Budd's plant?

Warren Webb
04-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Didn't Studebaker have their own steel plant right after WW II? I seem to recall since there was such a demand for products & limited supply changing back to a civilian economy.

Hallabutt
04-21-2018, 02:00 PM
No offense, but I kinda thought that everyone knew about the iconic Budd operation in Philadelphia. The company rise to prominence paralleled the auto industry, as auto production burgeoned in the early teens. They were not however restricted to the automobile. You might find their stamped parts in anything that rolled, slid or flew. In the early 2000's they shut down their facility in Philly and consolidated it with their holdings in Mich.

One of the advantages of the Budd operation was their ability to stamp much larger items then the industry norm. They were used to stamp the roofs for the 1936-37 Studebakers, which were touted to be the largest single piece stamping in automotive history.

Skip Lackie
04-21-2018, 04:27 PM
No offense, but I kinda thought that everyone knew about the iconic Budd operation in Philadelphia. The company rise to prominence paralleled the auto industry, as auto production burgeoned in the early teens. They were not however restricted to the automobile. You might find their stamped parts in anything that rolled, slid or flew. In the early 2000's they shut down their facility in Philly and consolidated it with their holdings in Mich.

One of the advantages of the Budd operation was their ability to stamp much larger items then the industry norm. They were used to stamp the roofs for the 1936-37 Studebakers, which were touted to be the largest single piece stamping in automotive history.

Yes. A very innovative company that (among other things) essentially invented the stainless steel streamlined railroad car, and made them for more than 50 years.

8E45E
04-21-2018, 05:59 PM
In the early 2000's they shut down their facility in Philly and consolidated it with their holdings in Mich.

They are German owned now.

Craig