PDA

View Full Version : Question for the vin detectives.

bob40
04-19-2018, 04:46 PM
63V-8086
Anything special?
Edit.
My error.
This is the number on the plate on the drivers door post,not the body tag

skyway
04-19-2018, 05:51 PM
You mean like the 8086th, V8, made in 1963?

Greenstude
04-19-2018, 06:13 PM
You mean like the 8086th, V8, made in 1963?

Isn't it the 7,086th? I think serial numbers started at 63V-1001. Body numbers (on the cowl) started at 1 for each model.

61Lark
04-19-2018, 06:34 PM
R2 4 speed Hawk

BobPalma
04-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Isn't it the 7,086th? I think serial numbers started at 63V-1001. Body numbers (on the cowl) started at 1 for each model.

:) Right-O on the Serial Numbering sequence...but beginning in 1959, the first Body Number was 101, not 1 as in previous years. :cool: BP

R3 challenger
04-19-2018, 09:41 PM
63V-8086 had the following:

'63 GT Hawk, Velvet Black/BKV interior, 4-speed, tinted glass all around, R2 engine, power steering, disc brakes, undercoating, Twin Traction, white walls, electric washers, front bumper guards, AM PB radio. Built on 10-15-62, shipped to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, engine No. JTS-1098. No special notations on PO. NOTE: It was built without a Climatizer.

Edit: Body No. 1143. The car built just before it, 63V-8085, also a GT Hawk, had body No. 1141; thus they had built just over 1,000 GT Hawks by October 15th.

Hope this helps,

George

63V-8086
Anything special?
Edit.
My error.
This is the number on the plate on the drivers door post,not the body tag

JimK
04-19-2018, 11:42 PM
My 63 GT is 63V-5738, built 13 days earlier. Roughly 2350 cars assembled in that time.

StudeRich
04-20-2018, 02:18 AM
My 63 GT is 63V-5738, built 13 days earlier. Roughly 2350 cars assembled in that time.

I get 2347 V8 Cars built in 12 1/2-13 days during the 1963 Model Post New Car announcement, Wheeling and Dealing times! :!:

bob40
04-20-2018, 06:17 AM
63V-8086 had the following:

'63 GT Hawk, Velvet Black/BKV interior, 4-speed, tinted glass all around, R2 engine, power steering, disc brakes, undercoating, Twin Traction, white walls, electric washers, front bumper guards, AM PB radio. Built on 10-15-62, shipped to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, engine No. JTS-1098. No special notations on PO. NOTE: It was built without a Climatizer.

Edit: Body No. 1143. The car built just before it, 63V-8085, also a GT Hawk, had body No. 1141; thus they had built just over 1,000 GT Hawks by October 15th.

Hope this helps,

George

It confirms that the car is legitimate. JTS 1098 is still in it.

junior
04-20-2018, 06:43 AM
nice...black GT with R2 - 4spd. combo = yummy! This car deserves to be back on the road! cheers, junior

swvalcon
04-20-2018, 02:35 PM
looks like it would be a worth while project for some one that can do the work and has the time. That way restoration cost for parts will be close to what its worth. Don't try to take it to a full off shop like fantomworks or the like unless you have deep pockets and just don't care.

bob40
04-20-2018, 04:47 PM
That brings up the dilemma or decision to make.
The trunk lid has a big dent and paint bubbles on corners...like bondo lifting.
The hood has one rear corner bent up severely.
The fight front fender is missing from the top of the fender forward.It was cut off.
The floor was a CASO fix of thin sheetmetal hammered over what was left of the original,with a layer of roofing tar in between as a adhesive.
The rocker panels were formed from bondo.
Did not poke the rear fenders but have a hunch what they are like.
After all that is said it's still a R2 4-speed car.Not many around.
Then there is the drivetrain. I have not checked but I believe I've heard it's $800-1000 to rebuild the Paxton.
Can't trust the engine to be good so a tear down needs to be done.I would rebuild it...$3-4000 maybe less...maybe more.
Start adding up the numbers and this car could get quite spendy and there is suspension,interior,misc. that adds up fast.
Did I mention there is NO title?
I am not even disclosing the purchase price.
Is this car a donor/parts car or a rebuilder?
I have thought of buying it and then looking for a pristine '63 body.Could be a option.
Last picture with a question.
I was told the car was a Super Hawk or full package car but Mr. Krems breakdown tells me it is not.
What is this bracket underneath at the last mount? It looks like it could be part of a radius rod set up but I am not sure.Maybe it's nothing.

8E45E
04-20-2018, 05:01 PM
Package car, or not, its still a keeper!!

Craig

swvalcon
04-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Bob i've got two decent rear fenders, Two good rust free door shells, a 63 hood and side grilles, Front grille is not very good. decent trunk lid off a 58 but same as 63, Nice rust free frame, and a 62 body shell that was a 4 sp car that's decent but needs rockers and the bottom of the inner 1/4 below the side window opening. Has title but is a 62 also have a 63 title and tags, 4 sp car but not a r-2 or I would be building it. Car is complete but Mn rust. Best to get a loss title on your car if numbers are all there and bond it. One front fender that is save-able, two if I decide not to use the rt one on my 64. And no I don't need another project as much as I would like a r-2 4 sp.

61Lark
04-20-2018, 07:54 PM
It's an R2 Hawk, it should be saved. If anything find a nice solid 62 or 63 Hawk to use as a donor. I have a 62 that I'm probably going to steal the front fenders off of for my 55 that I would part with. It's a pretty solid car, but it would need floors.

JimK
04-20-2018, 11:24 PM
I get 2347 V8 Cars built in 12 1/2-13 days during the 1963 Model Post New Car announcement, Wheeling and Dealing times! :!:

Right - V8s, not all cars. Forgot about that 63V vs 63S difference.

bob40
04-21-2018, 01:10 AM
Guess I'll get it home and tear it apart and see what it needs.
My go fund me table will be set up at the swap in South Bend.
Stop by and purchase stuff I'll need later.;)

8E45E
04-21-2018, 01:16 AM

Great to hear! Was this one part of the Marple collection?

Craig

mbstude
04-21-2018, 04:49 AM

There’s a R2 4 speed Hawk project here that needs a new home if you decide to really go nuts. It’s rust free by your standards. :)

bob40
04-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Great to hear! Was this one part of the Marple collection?

Craig

Yes,it was.

Warren Webb
04-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Bob, your car was built 3 weeks before mine. What I think I can make out in the one picture of the dash is the finish panel on the glove box & center dash is bright metal. I am led to believe that was using up left over 62 parts before they used the wood grain panels. Another point on what looks like a very original example is the color of the supercharger. Looks like black is the correct color. I notice the blower is original by not having all the excess holes to "clock" it for various applications. Nice find !!

bob40
04-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Thank for the information,Warren.
I will admit I was skeptical about the originality with the black color of the supercharger.Every picture I was seeing they were orange/red.

8E45E
04-21-2018, 03:07 PM
The supercharger on my R2 Hawk is also black.

Craig

bob40
04-21-2018, 04:13 PM
2 shots of right front fender and the stylish floor repair

JohnnyG
04-23-2018, 03:23 PM
That brings up the dilemma or decision to make.
The trunk lid has a big dent and paint bubbles on corners...like bondo lifting.
The hood has one rear corner bent up severely.
The fight front fender is missing from the top of the fender forward.It was cut off.
The floor was a CASO fix of thin sheetmetal hammered over what was left of the original,with a layer of roofing tar in between as a adhesive.
The rocker panels were formed from bondo.
Did not poke the rear fenders but have a hunch what they are like.
After all that is said it's still a R2 4-speed car.Not many around.
Then there is the drivetrain. I have not checked but I believe I've heard it's $800-1000 to rebuild the Paxton.
Can't trust the engine to be good so a tear down needs to be done.I would rebuild it...$3-4000 maybe less...maybe more.
Start adding up the numbers and this car could get quite spendy and there is suspension,interior,misc. that adds up fast.
Did I mention there is NO title?
I am not even disclosing the purchase price.
Is this car a donor/parts car or a rebuilder?
I have thought of buying it and then looking for a pristine '63 body.Could be a option.
Last picture with a question.
I was told the car was a Super Hawk or full package car but Mr. Krems breakdown tells me it is not.
What is this bracket underneath at the last mount? It looks like it could be part of a radius rod set up but I am not sure.Maybe it's nothing.
Bob, talk to Trevor. Virgil has quite a stash of parts as well. There might be some good replacement parts for it.

S2Deluxe
04-23-2018, 06:04 PM
The supercharger on my R2 Hawk is also black.

Craig

That's not a Canadian assembled Hawk, is it?

Mark

8E45E
04-23-2018, 06:46 PM
That's not a Canadian assembled Hawk, is it?

Mark

Yes it is a Hamilton car. I posted the Production Order here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?45799-63-R2-Hawks/page2

Craig

bob40
04-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Bob, talk to Trevor. Virgil has quite a stash of parts as well. There might be some good replacement parts for it.

Plan on it.Right now the focus is on selling the vehicles.

JohnnyG
04-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Plan on it.Right now the focus is on selling the vehicles.
Understand that. I’m actually getting 3 from the estate and have at least 2 others I’d like to get (if they don’t sell!). They’re all keeping busy selling right now. Mention it to Trevor that you’re interested in looking at the parts as the are planning on selling all the miscellaneous parts to a parts dealer.

S2Deluxe
04-23-2018, 08:34 PM
Yes it is a Hamilton car. I posted the Production Order here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?45799-63-R2-Hawks/page2

Craig

That wouldn't likely have anything to with the paint color used on the supercharger, would it?

Mark

8E45E
04-23-2018, 09:30 PM
That wouldn't likely have anything to with the paint color used on the supercharger, would it?

Most likely not. I believe superchargers were supplied in batches without any consideration to color.

Its really too bad Bob Palma and George Krem didn't OPEN all those boxes of superchargers on the pallet they had to climb over to talk to a factory worker when they 'fell behind' on of their 1963 plant tours. Then they could tell how many were orange and how many were black...

Craig

BobPalma
04-24-2018, 05:54 AM
Most likely not. I believe superchargers were supplied in batches without any consideration to color.

Its really too bad Bob Palma and George Krem didn't OPEN all those boxes of superchargers on the pallet they had to climb over to talk to a factory worker when they 'fell behind' on of their 1963 plant tours. Then they could tell how many were orange and how many were black...Craig

:) IIRC, Craig; they were all orange.

What we stumbled on was a pallet of superchargers; perhaps 16 (4X4) or 25 (5X5), or even 36 (6X6), nose up, with the top of each reinforced flat being open on top. The flats were stacked perhaps 4 high. In effect, each supercharger was in it own little box; there were dividers keeping them from jostling into each other during shipping and handling, like pop bottles in an old wooden crate with dividers. The handling would have been done with a forklift until they got to their proper area in engine assembly.

Quite a sight; perhaps George will weigh in with more specifics...or fewer. When we compare notes about those adventuress, we find that each of us has varying strengths as to the details of a specific adventure/encounter. ;) We do try to come up with one composite report to issue to the "press," however; you know, for public consumption. :lol: :cool: BP

8E45E
04-24-2018, 06:30 AM
We do try to come up with one composite report to issue to the "press," however; you know, for public consumption.

Thanks, Bob.

50+ years later, the majority of us still enjoy hearing about your own and George's accounts of your plant and Proving Ground adventures!

Craig

BobPalma
04-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Thanks, Bob.

50+ years later, the majority of us still enjoy hearing about your own and George's accounts of your plant and Proving Ground adventures!

Craig

:!: Thanks, Craig...geeze, I guess it has been a couple months shy of 55 years since June 1963, when we likely saw the supercharger stash. IIRC, tours were shut down earlier due to the lines being down for -ahem- "inventory adjustment" and model change-over. I would have been 17 at the time...and George, 21.

One odd item I remember from that particular tour was watching final adjustments.

I distinctly remember a huge brute of a fellow adjusting the LF door in its frame on a Rose Mist 1963 Regal 4-door. It didn't fit just right, so he rolled the window down and man-handled the entire door, using no tools, until he was satisfied with the fit! :eek:

I was deathly afraid he was going to break or bend something, but I guess he didn't....on down the line it went! ;) :cool: BP