PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Rusty Ralph

Jerry Forrester
04-19-2018, 11:54 AM
Hauled in a real cream puff yesterday. NOT!
A very early '53 Starliner.

https://i.imgur.com/rGQ6jv6.jpg

severalsins
04-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Let's see the rest!

Jerry Forrester
04-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Let's see the rest!

https://i.imgur.com/F04W7MX.jpg

thunderations
04-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Did you get that from Jamie in SC?
Looks like it could be the start of something.

Jerry Forrester
04-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Did you get that from Jamie in SC?
Looks like it could be the start of something.

Yes I did. Yesterday, 14 hours round trip.
I have seen worse than this brought back, but this one is probably a parts car.
https://i.imgur.com/129oK74.jpg

Jerry Forrester
04-19-2018, 03:31 PM
I have found a few things on this car that challenges my knowledge of the '53-4-5 C-K's.
like the color ID tag. I always thought they were supposed to be on the bottom of the glove box. This one is on the dash liner (fire wall board) with one of the climatizer valve screws through it.

https://i.imgur.com/zgu5c81.jpg

bob40
04-19-2018, 04:39 PM
That car in my neck of the woods would be called near mint as far as sheetmetal goes.

Jerry Forrester
04-19-2018, 04:53 PM
That car in my neck of the woods would be called near mint as far as sheetmetal goes.

Yeah, I've seen cars a lot worse than this that you Yankees start with and end up with some nice rides. Must be the cold long winters. <G>

clarkwd
04-19-2018, 05:00 PM
this one is probably a parts car.

Like you said, up north this is a project, not parts.
Bill

Flashback
04-19-2018, 05:28 PM
I have found a few things on this car that challenges my knowledge of the '53-4-5 C-K's.
like the color ID tag. I always thought they were supposed to be on the bottom of the glove box. This one is on the dash liner (fire wall board) with one of the climatizer valve screws through it.

https://i.imgur.com/zgu5c81.jpg
Hey Jerry,, good to see you still "Draggin um in" LOL,, You have probably had more 53's than I have, but, of the several I have had, I have had two that the tags were on the dash liner. One sedan and the coupe I have now. They both were close to the same location. But not under the valve or thermocouple screw.

mbstude
04-19-2018, 05:53 PM

Jerry, that car is the only red/white '53 hardtop ever made with the paint sticker in that location. It's a rare car. You'd better restore it.

fatboylust
04-19-2018, 06:02 PM
My 52 Starliner's paint tag is also on the dash liner, there appeared to be some form of glue which had held it in place; a small portion of one edge was captivated under the climatizer valve. Maybe there was one employee who was a bit of a renegade.;)

acolds
04-19-2018, 06:08 PM
The bolt and clip are rust free car must be in decent condition if it were up north would be called one family owned or indoor storage

Jeff_H
04-19-2018, 06:37 PM
Lots pretty straight and complete, mostly surface rust? Original paint (whats left of it). Put a pair of reproduced rear fenders on there and paint it. It does look like some holes in the bottoms of rear fenders, not sure about fronts but at least the passenger side looks pretty good except for a few inches at the bottom. I do agree cleaning up that surface rust for new paint could be a lot of work.

That car is at least 5yrs less weekend/evening work than mine was when I started on it.

avanti-hawk
04-19-2018, 06:53 PM
If that were found in Ontario Canada my buddy's would be amazed at how nice the body is!

bezhawk
04-19-2018, 07:01 PM
I have seen really early C/K bodies that had the "C" pillar seam not leaded in. How many did they make that way?

swvalcon
04-19-2018, 07:10 PM
Go ahead and restore it Jerry. Looks like a weekend of hard work and your ready for paint.

thunderations
04-19-2018, 07:19 PM
Might try just buffing it out and putting loud pipes on it to disguise any engine problems. The rest is just some old street signs bubble gummed to the floor. Then take it to Minnesota or Canada and sell it. Seems like your market is up north.

Jerry Forrester
04-19-2018, 08:04 PM
Jerry, that car is the only red/white '53 hardtop ever made with the paint sticker in that location. It's a rare car. You'd better restore it.

LOL Mathew LOL.
I'll restore it only if you furnish all the parts and labor. I'll sit in my chair and supervise.

Jerry Forrester
04-19-2018, 08:10 PM
Hey Jerry,, good to see you still "Draggin um in" LOL,, You have probably had more 53's than I have, but, of the several I have had, I have had two that the tags were on the dash liner. One sedan and the coupe I have now. They both were close to the same location. But not under the valve or thermocouple screw.

Hello Tex. Good to hear from you.
Another thing I learned today is, the early '53's didn't have the stainless flippers that seal the top of the door glass when the door is closed. Is the Saturday Night Special an early '53?

Jerry Forrester
04-19-2018, 08:16 PM
There was a thread a while back discussing the exact placement of the two-tone paint change line on the '53 Starliners.
If anyone still has any question about it, here is the fact.

https://i.imgur.com/DShWuR2.jpg

Studedude
04-19-2018, 08:39 PM
LOL Mathew LOL.
I'll restore it only if you furnish all the parts and labor. I'll sit in my chair and supervise.
I can vouch for Jerry's ability to sit and supervise. But, he will let you use his tools.

Jerry Forrester
04-19-2018, 09:23 PM
I can vouch for Jerry's ability to sit and supervise. But, he will let you use his tools.

...................<G>................

Tuesday afternoon I was loading my travel tool box into the truck prior to my 6AM Wednesday departure. Friend James asked what that was for? I said someone may need them. It's happened before.

studegary
04-19-2018, 10:39 PM

It is red and beige. This is an early 1953 model. Red and white Starliners were introduced in the Spring of 1953 (even though many early cars have now been painted that way).

studegary
04-19-2018, 10:42 PM
I have seen really early C/K bodies that had the "C" pillar seam not leaded in. How many did they make that way?

I do not know how many were built that way. I have also seen some with the exposed seam. What makes it difficult is that at some point, the dealers were supposed to fill that seam. Some did and some didn't.

studegary
04-19-2018, 10:46 PM
There was a thread a while back discussing the exact placement of the two-tone paint change line on the '53 Starliners.
If anyone still has any question about it, here is the fact.

https://i.imgur.com/DShWuR2.jpg

It bothers me when I see the paint line going horizontal/straight back. IIRC, the '54 that Lou Carini purchased does have an incorrect two-tone line. Of course some cars left the factory as mono-tone and were two-toned by the dealer for sale or later.

rkapteyn
04-20-2018, 07:55 AM

Early 1953 CK bodies had an extra bolt holding on the front fenders.
It was reached on the inside of the car.
I stripped out many C/K cars over the years but the 1953 I have in the basement of our
building is the only one that had these extra bolts.
What other items were changed in early production?

mbstude
04-20-2018, 08:05 AM
LOL Mathew LOL.

If you weren't so far away I'd have to take you up on that. What a deal!

I can vouch for Jerry's ability to sit and supervise.

Somewhere I still have a picture of you sitting in the trunk opening of Jim McCuan's Avanti, impersonating Jerry as a supervisor. You looked like you knew what you were doing; Jerry must be a good teacher.

Blue 15G
04-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Put a battery in it and drive it. That's what I would do. :lol:

Studedude
04-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Somewhere I still have a picture of you sitting in the trunk opening of Jim McCuan's Avanti, impersonating Jerry as a supervisor. You looked like you knew what you were doing; Jerry must be a good teacher.
The best! But, I can't compete with his style... that Hawaiian shirt of his is the cat's meow!

Jerry Forrester
04-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Put a battery in it and drive it. That's what I would do. :lol:

With a little bit of work that could be done.
The battery compartment would definitely meet with BP's requirement. <G>

https://i.imgur.com/WP1vjJR.jpg

Jerry Forrester
04-20-2018, 11:47 AM
I might drop in an LS 6.0 with a 4L80E and drive it the way it is.
A friend called yesterday with a 2001 3500 GMC Van with less than 100,000 miles for $1500. Maybe I should call him back.

Jerry Forrester
04-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Although it's stuck, the 232 engine may be usable. The car only had 42,000 when the transmission went out and the car was parked. The oil looks good, although it's down 1 1/2 quarts.

https://i.imgur.com/v3xaIMa.jpg

Jerry Forrester
04-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Like you said, up north this is a project, not parts.
Bill

Yeah, your work on your Speedster is exactly what I was thinking when I said this one could be brought back.

Hallabutt
04-20-2018, 01:48 PM
My first car was a very early 1953 Starliner, that did not have the roof pillar leaded in. It was a long time before I realized that all 53's didn't come that way. IMO the poor quality of those 53's dug Studebaker a hole, that they they were never able to fill.

Jerry Forrester
04-20-2018, 02:01 PM
IMO the poor quality of those 53's dug Studebaker a hole,

Yes, that is true. But man, look at that styling. Nothing beats it. But a '61 Starliner comes close.

Jerry Forrester
04-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Early 1953 CK bodies had an extra bolt holding on the front fenders.
It was reached on the inside of the car.
I stripped out many C/K cars over the years but the 1953 I have in the basement of our
building is the only one that had these extra bolts.
This one doesn't have that bolt. I know you're old and all, but maybe you could get a younger person to get down in the front floor board and take a picture of the bolt.

What other items were changed in early production?
While looking for that bolt, I noticed the kick panels don't have the vertical channels that the kick panels slip into. Just 3 or 4 screws.

studegary
04-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Yes, that is true. But man, look at that styling. Nothing beats it. But a '61 Starliner comes close.

I was thinking Studebaker (with no other reference), but now I believe that you are referring to a Ford. If so, I agree with the good looks, particularly the roof, of a '61 Ford Starliner.

Jerry Forrester
04-20-2018, 04:58 PM
I was thinking Studebaker (with no other reference), but now I believe that you are referring to a Ford. If so, I agree with the good looks, particularly the roof, of a '61 Ford Starliner.

You got it Gary.

JRoberts
04-21-2018, 07:38 PM
Despite the shape the car is in it does ride a trailer pretty good doesn't?:woot:

BobPalma
04-21-2018, 08:16 PM
With a little bit of work that could be done.
The battery compartment would definitely meet with BP's requirement. <G>

https://i.imgur.com/WP1vjJR.jpg

:!::!::!: Excellent. (Doesn't it look a little long for a 6-Volt, Group One battery? Has someone had a 12-volt battery in it?) :cool: BP

Jerry Forrester
04-22-2018, 06:03 AM
Despite the shape the car is in it does ride a trailer pretty good doesn't?:woot:
Yes, much better than Buttercup. <G>

Jerry Forrester
04-22-2018, 06:05 AM
:!::!::!: Excellent. (Doesn't it look a little long for a 6-Volt, Group One battery? Has someone had a 12-volt battery in it?) :cool: BP

Optical illusion. It's the original hd.