Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost One Less Me and One Less Studebaker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost One Less Me and One Less Studebaker!

So before we begin...let's review basic driver's education: When stopped turning left be sure to always watch your rearview mirror for a vehicle that may not see you.

So while turning left into Kenwood Drive this morning after breakfast, driving the Studebaker I was waiting for on coming cars. I realize there is a large orange Mr. Demo roll off truck coming behind me...
    he ain't slowing I think...suddenly the smoke starts as he too realizes he never saw me until way too late.

He starts skidding almost sideways...I hit the old Studebaker 289 V8 4 barrel to the floor....off we go...we are ahead of the truck and he is still moving on us...will the impact be minimized or missed....?

Missed is the answer. I turn into the next available parking lot, bless myself, clean my pants, and remember why I keep that car tuned up.
    Attached Files

WHEW! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow! That sounds like it was close. Another distracted driver, perhaps? A good lesson for all of us about keeping our Studebakers in top running condition. So glad you avoided disaster.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Glad you are safe.

In Carolina years ago at the international meet, I almost got crushed by a flat bed tractor trailer with a driver who was in a hurry, but was not looking. I was waiting for a green light. He was coming at a right angle and was planning on turning left in front of me, but I could tell that he would hit me and he wasn't slowing down. Put the car in reverse and hastily backed up two car lengths (good thing no one was behind me) before he flew by in front and missed by a foot.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-14-2018, 05:04 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

At least, you were surrounded by a "cage," (what we who ride motorcycles call a car/truck). I'd bet that if you could have access to his phone, a check would reveal he was probably texting.

I have had the experience of feeling the heat coming from the radiator of a big truck as I accelerated away when on my motorcycle. Historically, this is a rather new situation for drivers. Back when we mostly had to worry about "Drunk" drivers...the drunk might have seen more than "one" of you. A drunk seeing double might have to deal with double or blurred vision...but a "texter" looking down at his phone, sees absolutely nothing else.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I was dreading what I would read. I have had some modern vehicles that were incapable of such acceleration. A good testament to the capabilities of a well tuned 289, but most of all...HAPPY YOU'RE OK!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Also shows the benefit of keeping your wheels facing forward until you actually begin turning. If you had already turned your wheels you probably wouldn't have been able to pull forward quite as quick and if you got hit, your car would have been propelled into oncoming traffic rather than straight ahead.

I have had cases similar to this. Some where I got hit and some where I was able to pull off the road to avoid getting hit in the rear (or head on). I am glad that you are okay (OK, from Old Kinderhook, just up the road from me).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Several years ago, returning from a meet, I came upon a place where Iowa (aloways a dangerous place to motor) decided to funnel 4 lanes of traffic into one (for no apparant reason other than to see what havoc they could create) One of those young female Iowa motorists decided she should pass--just as the road became one lane!!!. A 58 Packard can be an awfully nimble two tons when called upon. We swerved to the right and dodged traffic cones into the closed lanes. We waited for the adrenalin to abate and then waited for a Minnesota driver to let us back onto the highway.

Comment

Whew! 4bbl power saves the day!
                edp/NC
                \'63 Avanti
                \'66 Commander

Comment

It must be the nice weather today in Jersey , The Local Policeman almost hit me head on, Near the local soccer field filled with Kids , Probably texting , Ed

Comment

That "self-driving" Uber car that hit and killed a woman pedestrian in Tempe, AZ, last month had a "safety driver" on board that was playing with its phone, and not watching the road ahead, as shown by in-car video.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

As motorcyclists, we are taught these days to keep the bike in gear while stopped for just this circumstance. Let's not forget frequently checking our mirrors as well. I only put the bike in neutral after reaching the front of the line and there is a cushion of multiple cars behind me. I just realized (after reading this) that when in a car, I am not nearly as on my game, frequently leaving the transmission in neutral when there is no cushion behind me. One more place to button up my game.

Comment

Back in Minnesota in 1972, I was riding my brand new Triumph Bonneville 650, wearing a full stars and stripes easy rider helmet with a face bubble that protected my head, but blocked a lot of my ability to hear. Just as the light turned green and I came into the intersection, from behind several buildings I became aware of a big red fire engine bearing down on me from the street on the right. With no time to even shift, I twisted the throttle for all it was worth. Fortunately, the RPM was just at the lower edge of the Triumph's power curve and in less than a second - a very long second - that bike hit its power curve and shot us out of danger like a rocket. Still gets my heart beating to think about it.
                        Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-14-2018, 05:05 PM.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My wife and I have been rear ended twice long before there was any such thing as texting. Is texting a cause of accidents? Yes, but not all accidents are caused by someone texting. It is easy to put everything under one blanket, but rarely correct.

jg61hawk I am so glad you could power your way out of what could easily been in a lot of trouble. I would almost be willing to bet not a whole lot of folks look into their rear view mirror often enough. I am glad you do.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I have the belief that texting while driving should be treated the same as DUI!

Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Jerry I agree , Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X