PDA

View Full Version : Need information on Kingpin casting numbers

thunderations
04-12-2018, 12:15 PM
I know that kingpins were redesigned for 1961 to increase camber adjustment.
I have acquired a set of kingpins with Turner brake upgrade installed, but not sure of the vintage of the kingpins.
Casting numbers are: 533762 & 63. Can these numbers tell us what series/years vehicles they are from?
One person seems to remember that they possibly came from a 59 Lark.
I guess the other question would be, is it a big deal to have the 61 and newer kingpins? Is there enough camber increase built into them to be concerned about on a car equipped with power steering?
These are planned to go onto my 64 Daytona 113" wheelbase frame that I'm using under the 50 Champion Convertible.
I can always transfer the Turner set up onto the 64 kingpins. Would just need to get another set of bearing/seal spacers.
Thanks in advance for any info/recommendations.
Ken

skyway
04-12-2018, 01:02 PM
No parts books handy, but if its of any help to you, you can actually SEE the difference.
Compare the tops of the kingpins, and notice the difference in "offset" between the protruding "nub" where the pin was set up for lathe work, and the upper boss which the outer pin goes thru.

StudeRich
04-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Yes these 6 Digit Forging Numbers ARE '53 to 1960 EARLY King Pins.

It is EASY, 7 Digits are 1961 and on Lark and 1962 and on Hawk.

NO, it is NOT a huge deal, the improvement is maybe 1/2 to 1 Degree LESS Negative Caster adjustment will be allowed with the newer Type.

And '53 to '60's worked just fine. :)

PackardV8
04-12-2018, 01:20 PM
IIRC, kingpins are forged, so any number is forged into them and yours are the early.

And yes, PS benefits most from the increased caster of the later kingpins. You want them, if at all possible. Early kingpins usually won't get to zero and you want all the positive caster you can get.

jack vines
Obsolete Engineering Division
of Mager Engine

thunderations
04-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Thanks, guys. I can take it from here. Just didn't want to burn a bridge or create work not needed without having a plan. Now to get this plan executed before I'm to old to enjoy it.
Four car projects and one motorhome project in process and none are progressing very quickly. Motorhome MUST get done because it's our summer home away from home.