I've always wondered what the symbols in this emblem stands for:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker emblem.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1757660

Any one who knows?
    Please tell...

Well since they are clearly Champion (Crowns) and Thunderbirds your guess is as good as mine!

Maybe an early attempt at a Commander or Hawk Symbol?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

At one point Studebaker considered Thunderbird as a model name. Maybe stems from that time.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Judging by the humble origins of the Studebaker family I would guess it is not a family crest or coat of arms. This is a very interesting question you pose.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Nox, Your answer lies in Turning Wheels, July 2006, page 26. The Thunderbird name was registered with the Automobile Manufacturers Association to Studebaker from 47 to 54. Stude sold the rights to the name to Ford. Stude. was being pushed by Mack Hellings to make a sports car, but died in a plane crash out in the Mojave Desert in 1950. After that Stude's desires to build a sports car wavered. I will put up a pic. of the one built, but it looks like it will take me a little while to find it again.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Alan; 04-11-2018, 01:06 PM. Reason: Add

Comment

Okidoki Alan, thanx!

Comment

Looks amazingly like a Cobra........which was based on a Bristol, I believe. Any connection between Studebaker and Bristol?
              Originally posted by Alan View Post
              Nox, Your answer lies in Turning Wheels, July 2006, page 26. The Thunderbird name was registered with the Automobile Manufacturers Association to Studebaker from 47 to 54. Stude sold the rights to the name to Ford. Stude. was being pushed by Mack Hellings to make a sports car, but died in a plane crash out in the Mojave Desert in 1950. After that Stude's desires to build a sports car wavered. I will put up a pic. of the one built, but it looks like it will take me a little while to find it again.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                Looks amazingly like a Cobra........which was based on a Bristol, I believe. Any connection between Studebaker and Bristol?
                You're confusing AC, which was the basis for the AC Cobra, with Bristol, which was a smaller car and aircraft company which supplied a derivative of the BMW 2-liter 6-cylinder engine to AC and other small car companies. So, yes, there was an AC Bristol, but it was AC which became the Cobra.

jack vines
                Obsolete Engineering Division
                of Mager Engine
                PackardV8

Comment

The AC Bristol was a 6 cylinder and the AC Ace was a 4. The Ace is the one that became the Cobra. Same design but different wheel bases and outside sizes. The Victress S1 was basically an AC Bristol in the front and Jag. XK 120 in the rear. Made in fiberglass.

Comment

Stude T-Bird

Oh boy, do I see a FUN summer car show info battle coming on. When I am told my 63 Avanti came with a Ford 289.....then I kick over the Thunderbird was really a farmed out Studebaker, somebody better call the fire department for the upcoming turf war! This going to be fun, my first target is going to be my fire dept. buddy with the beautiful 70 yellow 428 4 speed CJ Mustang. Thanks for the amo, Sherm / Green Bay

Comment

That is one fine looking Studebaker, I certainly would have bought one!
                      Don Watson
                      61 Hawk

Comment

It looks to me like a Jaguar XK 120. How quickly so many have forgotten one of the most important trend setting cars of the post war period.

Interesting about the Thunderbird name. As Mary indicated maybe there was something unknown drawing us Studebaker fans into TBird ownership.

Comment

Maybe that is why people keep calling my 53 coupe a Thunderbird!? :-o
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

The car looks to me like a Kellison or Woodhill Wildfire body. Perhaps it is a kit car on a Studebaker chassis.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe it says Victress, right on the side.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X