Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for information on the Knoxville Tennessee Studebaker dealer where my car was sold new.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information on the Knoxville Tennessee Studebaker dealer where my car was sold new.

I bought my 64 Studebaker Daytona time capsule last summer and i really want to track down pictures or some memorabilia from the dealership. the address is 211 south Broadway Knoxville Tenn. last October i took a 7 hour one way day trip to see the dealership on the anniversary of my cars sale. If you have a photo of the dealer in its prime please contact me
    thank you corey.

There are 5 listed in Knoxville, none have a Broadway address. The address you give in Knoxville is a bit hard to track down, as "211" is shown on the North side of Broadway...

There are a few listed on Broadway in Nashville
    Last edited by 64V-K7; 04-10-2018, 02:57 AM.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by STUDEMAC View Post
      I bought my 64 Studebaker Daytona time capsule last summer and i really want to track down pictures or some memorabilia from the dealership. the address is 211 south Broadway Knoxville Tenn. last October i took a 7 hour one way day trip to see the dealership on the anniversary of my cars sale. If you have a photo of the dealer in its prime please contact me
      thank you corey.
      My father and I stopped in the see the Studebaker 1963 model showings at Cherokee Motor Co., in Knoxville, Tennessee in the fall of 1962. The dealership at that time was located near the Knoxville City Hall and the L & N Railroad Station. The street in front of the building was likely named Henley.
      I visited the location about three years ago and the building was no longer standing. I had hoped to take a photo of it. The nearby University of Tennessee Library maintains copies of the old Knoxville newspapers, I have been told. Good luck hunting, Corey.
      sigpicBob Coolidge
      DeLand, FL

Comment

Wow Bob, you have an amazing memory!! I can't remember that well back to 2012 much less 1962!!
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          Wow Bob, you have an amazing memory!! I can't remember that well back to 2012 much less 1962!!
          Knoxville was very familiar to me. My first passenger train ride was out of the L & N station in Knoxville in the earlier 1950's.
          sigpicBob Coolidge
          DeLand, FL

Comment

trnstrtrk, that is one of the ones my Dad worked at ! I got to go to "work" with him a lot as a kid, and have lots of good memories from there. Three of the best are seeing the 1st Avanti get unloaded, a "jet boat" in the showroom ( ???? still can't remember why ), and going down around back and watching an Indy 500 race on a large screen of some kind that a "rep" brought in... Dad was the Parts guy there.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6477.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1720260Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6478.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1720261My 1961 Lark was originally sold at Cherokee Motors in Knoxville.

Comment

I have a 1950s era photo that shows a partial view of what was at that time called Spiers Studebaker Sales. Subsequent to this photo, the name was changed to Cherokee Studebaker Sales. The address in the 1962 Knoxville City Directory is indeed listed as 211 South Broadway. This is an aerial photo looking north on Henley Street toward the intersection with Western Avenue, which runs east-west. Henley Street ended at Western Avenue, but continued as Broadway on the north side of the intersection.

Regarding the post that listed all of the Studebaker dealers in Tennessee, Cherokee Studebaker Sales was indeed quartered on State Street in the 1930s. I'm not quite sure when it moved from that address, but, at least by the early 1960s, the dealership was at home on 211 South Broadway.

Name:	Henley Street looking north toward Vine:Western Ave. intersection 1950s annotated.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1720264

Comment

The video for dealers called "Different..By Design" shows a silver '64 convertible being sold at Studebaker of Knoxville. The video is available at the SNM.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                    The video for dealers called "Different..By Design" shows a silver '64 convertible being sold at Studebaker of Knoxville. The video is available at the SNM.
                    Trying to remember, wasn't our fourth SDC President, John Brichetto, involved with (or owner of?) Studebaker of Knoxville? John later went on to start Autosport Specialties who made, among other things, all kinds of reproduction Studebaker decals.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Anybody see more than 1-2 Studes in that street pic ??

Comment

Originally posted by tennessee_anomaly View Post
                        I have a 1950s era photo that shows a partial view of what was at that time called Spiers Studebaker Sales. Subsequent to this photo, the name was changed to Cherokee Studebaker Sales. The address in the 1962 Knoxville City Directory is indeed listed as 211 South Broadway. This is an aerial photo looking north on Henley Street toward the intersection with Western Avenue, which runs east-west. Henley Street ended at Western Avenue, but continued as Broadway on the north side of the intersection.

Regarding the post that listed all of the Studebaker dealers in Tennessee, Cherokee Studebaker Sales was indeed quartered on State Street in the 1930s. I'm not quite sure when it moved from that address, but, at least by the early 1960s, the dealership was at home on 211 South Broadway.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71669[/ATTACH]
                        Great photo. Thank you for posting it. Henley likely overlapped at that point with South Broadway. I think we are recalling the same location. The Cherokee Motors name was used earlier and later in Studebaker sales in Knoxville. When my dad and I went it was the showing of the new 1963 Avanti.
                        sigpicBob Coolidge
                        DeLand, FL

Comment

Here is another photo showing the Cherokee Studebaker Dealership on Broadway in Knoxville, TN referred to earlier. This photo is dated 1963. The event depicted is a parade of Confederate re-enactors.

Name:	Studebaker Dealer, 211 S. Broadway 1963.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1720271

Comment

Originally posted by tennessee_anomaly View Post
                            Here is another photo showing the Cherokee Studebaker Dealership on Broadway in Knoxville, TN referred to earlier. This photo is dated 1963.

The event depicted is a parade of Confederate re-enactors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71687[/ATTACH]
                            I'd be willing to bet that they are not singing "When We Went Marching Thru Georgia!"

When I was at the Flagler Museum in St Augustine FL, they had a band organ playing this tune.

I told the docent this was not tune that Southerners would like, since it refers to General William Tecumseh Sherman!

Comment

Working...
                            X