Best Match for Top Radiator Hose on 1950 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Match for Top Radiator Hose on 1950 Commander

The only top hose I could find for a 1950 Commander was this NOS one on ebay, and it's not as soft as the seller said, so I won't use it.
    I took it to AutoZone, and so far this E71617 hose is the best match I could find. Anyone know of a better match? Thanks, Tom

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	1757651

I may have something. What is the inside diameter? I got a lot of hoses, but 1/2 are just to compare to buy new softer stuff. Like, where are you going to find a top hose for a 58 Packard Hawk with AC....I have one.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have spent a great deal of time looking for a replacement top hose for the 50 commander with little success. If anyone knows of a replacement I would also like to know of the application.

Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Got any marine engine shops near by , Try mercruiser or Volvo penta, They have various sizes and shapes , Ed

Comment

The inside diameter is 1 1/4". If I measure through the center of the hose to the middle of the curve, it's 10" on the long end and 7 1/2" on the shorter end.

The hose I bought is a Dayco, and is soft enough the bend and cut the end for a good fit, but I'll keep looking for an even better fit.

Comment

I bought one from Advance Auto last year that's for another application, just cut off some. I don't remember the number, but I'll check with them tomorrow to find out.
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Here is a picture of a Gates hose that looks like a good fit, but I can't read the number on it.
              I wonder why the brace rod is touching the hose though. I have another picture to compare clearance for the brace rod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1950 Commander Spark Plug Boots.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1720252 Click image for larger version

Name:	1950 Commander Engine 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1720255

Comment

See https://www.studebakerparts.com/ part# HSE014H
                Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by cstude1 View Post
                  See https://www.studebakerparts.com/ part# HSE014H
                  Chuck
                  The picture square is blank, so I take that to mean it's not available, or if it's available, it's a universal flex hose.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                    The picture square is blank, so I take that to mean it's not available, or if it's available, it's a universal flex hose.
                    Yes, it’s available from the Stude vendors. It is a “trim to fit” hose. It is not a flex hose.

Comment

Unfortunately I took the label off the hose I bought and the store doesn't have a record of my purchase, must have paid with cash. However, I found another one that should be a good fit, a Dayco E71704. It's for a 1996 Cadillac deVille. Just cut to fit.
                      Chip
                      '63 Cruiser
                      '57 Packard wagon
                      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                        Here is a picture of a Gates hose that looks like a good fit, but I can't read the number on it.
                        I wonder why the brace rod is touching the hose though. I have another picture to compare clearance for the brace rod.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71654[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]71657[/ATTACH]
                        If you trim half an inch off the Gates hose on the left, it might clear the brace rod.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy, I don't know who's car that is. I still wish I knew about the braces, where they cross. One has a bolt, and one has a clamp like mine.
                          Also, what is the large round container on the left side of the left picture? Looks like it has a strange square ignition coil also.

Comment

All the ones I have seen have the clamp, like the picture on the right.

The round thing on the left picture is probably an oil injector. Did they call it an inverse oiler? You would attach it to an injector plate installed under the carburetor and the engine would suck in a fine mist of Marvel Mystery oil. Supposedly that would do all sorts of wonders, like keep the rings and cylinders clean, keep carbon from forming in the cylinders, stop knocking, and make your engine last for thousands more miles.

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

This is what you'll get if you order one from your favorite Studebaker Vendor. I compared a new one to a '50 Commander this morning. The extra length needs to be trimmed off, otherwise it's a perfect fit.

Last edited by mbstude; 04-11-2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X