PDA

View Full Version : AM/FM radio on eBay

RadioRoy
04-08-2018, 11:31 AM
There is an AM/FM radio on eBay. Not mine. It's been listed for a while at $1200 with no takers, and now it has been relisted with one bid at $300. I know nothing about it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-AM-FM-Radio-Delco-Model-AC-3500-Complete-Untested-RARE-1964-AVANTI/312104896300?hash=item48aae6c72c:g:dZsAAOSwB4BaK17p&vxp=mtr

StudeRich
04-08-2018, 11:46 AM
Its a Studebaker AC-3500.

I don't have the application list for that # but with that Install Plate it's probably not an Avanti, but a '64-'65 Lark Type.

Dwight FitzSimons
04-08-2018, 12:55 PM
There is a difference between a 1964 Avanti AM/FM radio and the ones for Lark-types and Hawks.
-Dwight

bezhawk
04-08-2018, 01:26 PM
If I remember correctly, ALL 64 cars used red instrumentation lighting. On the dial glass of the Radio was a red(ish) paint stripe, that contributed to the red glow when illuminated. They never did have a red bulb.

r1lark
04-08-2018, 01:41 PM
FYI, from the ad: "I have not tested it so cannot guarantee/warranty it."

StudeRich
04-08-2018, 02:00 PM
The 1557882 Transparent Red Bulbs were in all the Instruments and Radio of '64 Lark Types and Hawks, but apparently as Bez says, Avantis are clear as they do not use a 1557882 (#53TR).

The '64 AM/FM P/B Radio for a Lark Type with a External Controlled Antenna (Cowl Mount) is shown as a AC-3501

The '64 AM/FM P/B Radio for a GT Hawk with a External Controlled Antenna (Cowl Mount) is shown as a AC-3502

The '64 AM/FM P/B Radio for a GT Hawk with a Rear Deck mount Antenna is shown as a AC-3504

So, since the Body Parts Catalog only shows the "Kit Numbers", I don't really know for sure what the AC-3500 Radio Only fits, other than the Mounting Plate that is attached to this one.

UPDATE: OPPS, looks like I guessed WRONG! the Delco Radio Studebaker AC Number application chart says AC-3500 IS an Avanti, so someone had an Avanti Radio in their '64 or '65 Lark Type! :ohmy:

OH, Oh, looks like I just jacked someone's Value by at least $100.00 !
Do I get a "finder's Fee percentage"? :D

04-08-2018, 04:06 PM
If I remember correctly, ALL 64 cars used red instrumentation lighting. On the dial glass of the Radio was a red(ish) paint stripe, that contributed to the red glow when illuminated. They never did have a red bulb.
I agree that all '64s had red instrument lights. However, I'm pretty sure that the '64 AM-FM radios had red lighting too. The bulb in my '64 Wagonaire AM-FM has been burned out for a long time and I have been too lazy to try to replace it so I don't really remember for sure that it was red. I know the AM-FM lighting in a '64 Avanti I had a few years ago was red though maybe I don't see the red stripe you mention. My current '64 Avanti AM-FM is disconnected in favor of a modern radio in the glove box so I can't tell from it whether or not it is red lighted.

Hawklover
04-08-2018, 05:31 PM
The am/fm in my Avanti was not a great or even good radio.....yes it came from Studebaker when new.....but I have had it repaired numerous times over the years......and its "fidelity" was a far cry from modern automotive radios.....indeed I had another Studebaker am/fm that needed repair.......but had had enough......sold it as is and not working for $400.00 One other thing, you will never ever "cuss" like a sailor until you remove this radio from an Avanti with factory AC!!!!
I agree that all '64s had red instrument lights. However, I'm pretty sure that the '64 AM-FM radios had red lighting too. The bulb in my '64 Wagonaire AM-FM has been burned out for a long time and I have been too lazy to try to replace it so I don't really remember for sure that it was red. I know the AM-FM lighting in a '64 Avanti I had a few years ago was red though maybe I don't see the red stripe you mention. My current '64 Avanti AM-FM is disconnected in favor of a modern radio in the glove box so I can't tell from it whether or not it is red lighted.

bezhawk
04-08-2018, 08:23 PM
I agree the original was not a good sounding radio.....compared to modern replacements. However speaker cones dry out, and sound deteriorates over the years. New speakers from Turn-Switch make a vast improvement over 50+ year old speakers. If it were me, I'd buy the AM/FM dial glass from Studebaker International, and send the guts off to be converted by Radio Roy, and install the new dial. That way it would look like a stock AM/FM, but be a good high fidelity stereo. If you want even better, put a small class D amp with it, and some nice JBL, or Polk Audio speakers.

Dan White
04-08-2018, 08:44 PM
I agree with other posters. I have an AM/FM in my '64 R1 Hawk and even after repair it still sounds crumby even by '64 standards. Not sure if these first gen FMs were just poorly made or the state of the art was not as good as AMs?

RadioRoy
04-08-2018, 09:22 PM
The stock radios were made by Delco, so all the GM guys were getting the same quality of sound, although Studebaker put in some mighty small speakers. Speaker size/quality makes a BIG difference - more so than most people realize.

Plus... our tastes and expectations have been refined/raised by modern technology.

Hawklover
04-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Brad I also replaced the 4X10 speaker, which was also no great engineering marvel:-( many years ago Antique Auto Radio in Florida converted an am radio to fm via a small module.....horrible in all respects....Dan Schultz was the owner, a nice fellow who did his best, but the module was just so poor. I now carry a modern radio in the car when I want to listen to "tunes"
I agree the original was not a good sounding radio.....compared to modern replacements. However speaker cones dry out, and sound deteriorates over the years. New speakers from Turn-Switch make a vast improvement over 50+ year old speakers. If it were me, I'd buy the AM/FM dial glass from Studebaker International, and send the guts off to be converted by Radio Roy, and install the new dial. That way it would look like a stock AM/FM, but be a good high fidelity stereo. If you want even better, put a small class D amp with it, and some nice JBL, or Polk Audio speakers.

RadioRoy
04-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Brad I also replaced the 4X10 speaker, which was also no great engineering marvel:-( many years ago Antique Auto Radio in Florida converted an am radio to fm via a small module.....horrible in all respects....Dan Schultz was the owner, a nice fellow who did his best, but the module was just so poor. I now carry a modern radio in the car when I want to listen to "tunes"

I wonder how many people were soured on the idea of AM/FM conversions by getting these early units installed. Probably more than one would think.

mapman
04-08-2018, 11:53 PM

There were few of those AM/FM radios made and the regular radios for Larks and Avanti's were all the same face chrome. Just get a common regular AM radio, buy the FM faceplate and have RadioRoy do the conversion. That will save an AM/FM for someone that just HAS to have one for their 40,000 point restoration. Even at their best they are still only mono.
Rob

Dwight FitzSimons
04-09-2018, 08:22 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with mapman's approach (buy the AM/FM faceplate and have RadioRoy do the conversion). FM stereo will make the radio usable, but will require doubling the speakers (Don't cut those door panels!). As I recall Expressly Avanti used to sell a "double speaker" that fit in the original space. Perhaps SI still does. Note that, to complete the AM/FM look (besides the faceplate), one still needs to put "AM" and "FM" on the back right knob. Does anyone make a decal for that?

Paul, I notice that your pix of AM/FM radios show the Avantis' radios have a red "FM" and the Lark-type has the "FM" white. Does that prove anything?
-Dwight

bezhawk
04-09-2018, 09:32 AM
There were few of those AM/FM radios made and the regular radios for Larks and Avanti's were all the same face chrome. Just get a common regular AM radio, buy the FM faceplate and have RadioRoy do the conversion. That will save an AM/FM for someone that just HAS to have one for their 40,000 point restoration. Even at their best they are still only mono.
RobThat is exactly my meaning in the post.

Hawklover
04-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Having a Stude in the car is good for bragging "rights".....if any out there have am radios in their Avantis with a/c......good luck getting the radio out, and later getting it back in....for Brad its a piece of cake.......but let me tell you pulling an Avanti dash down to allow removal will NOT BE A HAPPY EXPERIENCE.
Rob

2R5
04-09-2018, 10:50 AM
I’m pretty sure that all the am/fm radios had that red line on the glass , had nothing to do with the lighting .
I have one I’d sell if there is an interest, could bring to the SB SWAP

RadioRoy
04-09-2018, 11:29 AM
FM stereo will make the radio usable, but will require doubling the speakers (Don't cut those door panels!). As I recall Expressly Avanti used to sell a "double speaker" that fit in the original space. Perhaps SI still does.
-Dwight

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I appreciate that.

I have been trying to dissuade customers from using those tiny three inch double speakers for years.

You cannot get any decent sound or any bass from a three inch speaker. Plus, you cannot get much or any stereo effect from tiny speakers that are closer together than your ears. There are several solutions to this.

Use the biggest/best speakers you can afford and fit in the car.

Generally I suggest one speaker in the front playing the left channel and one in the rear playing the right channel. You CAN get a pleasant stereo experience from that.

There is also a series of speakers made by RetroMod that have double wound voice coils. You can hook any stereo to that and get good quality full mono sound.

The stereo conversions made by Aurora Design have the capability of wiring a front speaker for true mono and two speakers in stereo in the package tray in back. It's the only three speaker car system that I have seen.

Dwight FitzSimons
04-09-2018, 12:35 PM
"Generally I suggest one speaker in the front playing the left channel and one in the rear playing the right channel. You CAN get a pleasant stereo experience from that."

I tried that, but wrecked my Studebaker trying to drive using my left peripheral vision.
-Dwight

RadioRoy
04-09-2018, 02:00 PM
"Generally I suggest one speaker in the front playing the left channel and one in the rear playing the right channel. You CAN get a pleasant stereo experience from that."

I tried that, but wrecked my Studebaker trying to drive using my left peripheral vision.
-Dwight

Hahahahaha!!. :)

Mark57
04-09-2018, 03:07 PM
The stock radios were made by Delco, so all the GM guys were getting the same quality of sound, although Studebaker put in some mighty small speakers. Speaker size/quality makes a BIG difference - more so than most people realize.

Plus... our tastes and expectations have been refined/raised by modern technology.

Roy, are you attending the International Meet in Tacoma?

Mike Sal
04-09-2018, 04:20 PM
How much does a guy need to budget if he's interested in having a radio converted? Are there any models (of radio) which are better than others to convert? I have a '66 Commander & a '69 built Avanti II that could be candidates.
Mike Sal

RadioRoy
04-09-2018, 06:26 PM
The best radios to convert are OEM factory radios (not aftermarket Motorola and others) that have no internal corrosion, the push buttons and manual tuning work smoothly, and no one has been inside mucking around and bending things.

Mike, please send me an email and I will tell all. My email address is in my profile.

I do not like to use the PM function for quotes as I like to keep a record of what was discussed.

The system I use is designed and built by

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Home.html

bezhawk
04-09-2018, 08:52 PM
I can vouch for the conversion Roy does. I used a 66 AM radio on the R4 show car I did. I wanted the black knobs, and push buttons. I purchased the dial glass from SI, and changed it to look like a stock AM/FM from the outside. Then I used a 45 watt channel kenwood class D 4 channel amplifier, and hooked them up to JBL 5.25" speakers on the kick panels, which I modified using rigid styrofoam to even out the "S" curve in the kick panel. Also had crossover filters, and titanium tweeters placed overhead up in the headliner side panels. For bass the rear speakers were hidden under acoustically transparent fabric in the rear parcel shelf 6X9 speakers. This sound rivaled anything I have ever heard in a modern aftermarket system.

RadioRoy
04-09-2018, 11:17 PM
There are also powered sub woofers that can fit under the seats.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SOUNDSTORM-LOPRO10-10-1200W-Car-Audio-Slim-Under-Seat-Powered-Subwoofer-Sub/392012564335?epid=141767698&hash=item5b45c5076f:g:SwwAAOSwXXpaw3mv

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUNDSTORM-LOPRO8-8-600W-UnderSeat-Low-Car-Audio-Subwoofer-Powered-Sub-SSL/351682879211?epid=150694612&hash=item51e1eedeeb:g:UMwAAOSwhlZYuFp6&vxp=mtr

edpjr
04-13-2018, 11:52 PM
I have a pretty nice Delco 3500 series AM/FM radio from a 1964 Studebaker GT Hawk that I owned several years ago. The right dial doesn't have AM/FM on it. But there's something engraved that says "antenna" underneath the knob. Any idea what this term means? Did some cars have electric controlled antennas? I've hung onto this thing to hopefully use in my '63 Avanti which only has a blown AM radio. Thanks.

bezhawk
04-14-2018, 12:06 AM
There will be a small hole where it says antenna. That is where you adjust for maximum sensitivity of the antenna. Tune to a weak station in the middle of the dial then reach through the small hole with a straight screwdriver, and turn the adjustment until it has maximum clarity and loudness.

StudeRich
04-14-2018, 12:07 AM
At least the KNOB is from a '55 to '58 Packard with Dual Power Antennas to replace the AM/FM inner Knob.

RadioRoy
04-14-2018, 12:08 AM
That's the antenna trimmer. It allows you to adjust the radio's antenna circuit to match the characteristics of the car body.

edpjr
04-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Thank you all for the info!