PDA

View Full Version : Hood openers

plee4139
04-07-2018, 06:21 AM
I saw a Facebook post from a Studie group from Australia, and one of the Hawks' hood had been reworked so that it opens from the rear. There are a couple of gas filled units attached to the sides and I'm guessing the edges of the hood were reinforced as well. I understand that it can be tricky, as the hood actually moves forward before it opens and that if the job is not done correctly there are kinks in the corners. That hood is so damn heavy that now when people want to see the engine I let them do the heavy lifting. What a dumb design. I guess they weren't going for the female buyer in those days.

Colgate Studebaker
04-07-2018, 09:13 AM
I have plans to modify the hood hinge on my '64 GT Hawk so it will open forward vs. from the rear. There have been a couple guys that have done it and it makes a whole lot of sense to do it that way. I'm close to getting started on it ,but it will be a couple months before I actually get started. Alan in Australia sent me the drawings he used to make his on his '53, and I need to think them out before I start. I'll try to document all the steps involved and make them available to any that might be interested, so stay tuned, it will be happening. Bill

studegary
04-07-2018, 11:41 AM
There was a guy in California that modified his hood to open the other way. There were many posts about it on this SDC Forum. A search should turn up several topics/threads. This is always subject to how good/descriptive of a title was used.

Studebakercenteroforegon
04-07-2018, 12:52 PM
A dumb design? I’ve owned many a Hawk in my younger years and never thought twice about opening the hoods.
The hoods haven’t gotten any heavier, but maybe our desire to open them has decreased.

plee4139
04-07-2018, 12:55 PM
A dumb design? I’ve owned many a Hawk in my younger years and never thought twice about opening the hoods.
The hoods haven’t gotten any heavier, but maybe our desire to open them has decreased.
Will is strong but the body's weak.

Studebakercenteroforegon
04-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Well, I can’t be talking too tough. In my current Studebaker world I have gravitated to 1961 and later Larks - featuring torsion rods to open the hood!

GrumpyOne
04-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Once the Power Hawk is disposed of, all that will remain is the '55 Prez sedan and while that also opens from the front, it is a light weight as compared to the c/k hoods. No more heavy stuff for me!

DEEPNHOCK
04-07-2018, 03:44 PM
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?93330-Hawk-Reverse-opening-hood&highlight=Reverse+opening+hood

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?61587-Reverse-Opening-Hood-For-53-amp-54-C-K&highlight=Reverse+opening+hood

Lou Van Anne
04-07-2018, 04:13 PM
I guess I'll never understand the "why" of this....

DEEPNHOCK
04-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Sort of like adding suicide doors to a normal rig, eh?

sweetolbob
04-07-2018, 06:25 PM

Won't fly open as 70 MPH breaking your windshield and blocking your vision.

brngarage
04-07-2018, 06:29 PM
I have a '53 Commander Starlight and a '56 Golden Hawk. The '53 hood is very easy to lift. The Hawk; another story. It is the grille, not the hood that is so heavy. If the grille is out, the Hawk hood lifts almost as easily as the '53.

Studebakercenteroforegon
04-07-2018, 07:06 PM
The grille assembly used in Gran Turismo Hawks is considerable lighter than the massive die cast zinc ‘56 - ‘61 grille - thus lifting a ‘62 - ‘64 Hawk hood is noticeably easier.

TWChamp
04-07-2018, 07:08 PM

I agree. The hood just doesn't need to be lifted too many times.

jclary
04-07-2018, 07:48 PM
...What a dumb design. I guess they weren't going for the female buyer in those days.

I recall the days when women didn't raise their own car hoods. They didn't need to.
Men would happily and politely do it for them...and they wern't offended by the gesture.:)

Nowdays...women seem to be angry:mad:, and men confused.:confused::o

345 DeSoto
04-07-2018, 09:48 PM
I'll be installing Lift Struts....

bensherb
04-07-2018, 10:38 PM
The grille assembly used in Gran Turismo Hawks is considerable lighter than the massive die cast zinc ‘56 - ‘61 grille - thus lifting a ‘62 - ‘64 Hawk hood is noticeably easier.

The hood on our '62 GT is just a bit heavier than that of our '53 coupe, but neither is what I'd call heavy. The nice thing is the GT hood will open a foot higher than the '53 hood, making it easier to work under. You do have to add a foot to the strut rod though, but at least the hinges will allow it.

bensherb
04-07-2018, 10:48 PM
I'll be installing Lift Struts....

Instead of using gas struts, try a set of these, you'll never need to "lift" the hood again. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Sets-Heavy-Duty-12-Black-Linear-Actuator-Stroke-225-Lb-Pound-Max-Lift-12V-DC-/162636193072?hash=item25dddf5d30

71616They work for my wagon. :D Yes, that is Ron Hall's 200mph Avanti on my shirt, I was there to see history being made in '93. :!:

Warren Webb
04-09-2018, 04:51 PM
The beauty of the rear opening hood is the ease of access to the engine. One I remember seeing used a modified Buick hinge that went forward & then up but cant remember the year. Possibly mid 90's?

jrlemke
04-09-2018, 08:40 PM
'91 for the Buick hinge, I had a '92 and a '93 LeSabre and they both opened from the front. I have Jag. hinges if I ever get around to it. -Jim

Jerry Forrester
04-09-2018, 09:33 PM
Here's one I did on a '53 Cp. many, many years ago.
https://imgur.com/a/m9GRn
My plans are to do one on Buttercup also.

plee4139
04-10-2018, 05:18 AM
Interesting responses as always. I'll bet I'll looking at a $500 tab for a body shop to do it, hopefully correctly the first time. Since I blew my grandchildren's college fund on the slow-moving and very costly engine rebuild last year, I'm going to keep doing what I've already been doing for the last ten years: when alone, grunt, strain, and panic about dropping on my head. When there's someone more able than I, release latch and let the other do the proverbial "heavy lifting."

studegary
04-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Interesting responses as always. I'll bet I'll looking at a $500 tab for a body shop to do it, hopefully correctly the first time. Since I blew my grandchildren's college fund on the slow-moving and very costly engine rebuild last year, I'm going to keep doing what I've already been doing for the last ten years: when alone, grunt, strain, and panic about dropping on my head. When there's someone more able than I, release latch and let the other do the proverbial "heavy lifting."

Remember to tell them to pull forward as they lift up.