PDA

View Full Version : The 1958 Pair

Stude Shoo-wop!
04-06-2018, 10:46 PM
Yes, both of these beauties are available on Craigslist and both of them hail from that fateful year of 1958. What is so special about the 1958 model year? It would be the last year of both the Golden Hawk (which we don't have) and the "full-size" sedans (which we do have). They are very special automobiles, as I'm sure all of you will agree with.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/1958-studebaker/6540390299.html

https://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/d/1958-studebaker-silver-hawk/6553563269.html

Hopefully one of us have enough disposable income to go ahead with the dealings. He will be able to carry me on in spirit, at least.

studegary
04-06-2018, 11:28 PM
Also "fateful year" as in the end of the line for Packard.

EDIT: The President looks like an excellent car. The Hawk should not be described as "restored". It was built (modified) to the owner's taste. He probably has a lot of money in it, but I doubt that he will get his asking price.

Stude Shoo-wop!
04-06-2018, 11:48 PM
Also "fateful year" as in the end of the line for Packard.

EDIT: The President looks like an excellent car. The Hawk should not be described as "restored". It was built (modified) to the owner's taste. He probably has a lot of money in it, but I doubt that he will get his asking price.

I am in full agreement, studegary, but what do you think about the customized boat the Silver Hawk owner was including?

studegary
04-06-2018, 11:53 PM
I am in full agreement, studegary, but what do you think about the customized boat the Silver Hawk owner was including?

No comment. I have never been into boats.

EDIT: The boat is not included for the $32,900. The boat is "available" for an extra $11,900.

Stude Shoo-wop!
04-07-2018, 12:43 AM
No comment. I have never been into boats.

EDIT: The boat is not included for the $32,900. The boat is "available" for an extra $11,900.

Yeah, never mind. $32,000 for a Silver Hawk is ludicrous.

acolds
04-07-2018, 09:45 AM
The President appears to be really nice price if paint is as good as it looks you are getting car for about $4000. My figures are based on the cost I paid a few years ago to have my Clipper painted. I don't think you could do the car as it appears for double the asking price. The only bad I see is the need to touch up engine block paint that's a nice kind of restoration work do do. I would be interested except having two old cars and a wife a third car would not be beneficial to my continued state of happiness

WinM1895
04-07-2018, 10:05 AM
The boat is not customized, there was an identical boat to this on a trailer, parked next to a run down house in La Habra Heights, a lah-di-dah upscale rural suburb in north Orange County.

On the other side of the house, in the weedy side yard was a '60's Porsche Carrera! I was never able to get a response, the property appeared to be abandoned.

Then one day when I drove by, the boat and Porsche were gone, the property had been cleaned up.

PackardV8
04-07-2018, 10:54 AM
For those who enjoy that sort of thing, taking the two of them to an "all makes show" would create a lot of comment.

We should all wish the Silver Hawk will bring his asking.

jack vines
Obsolete Engineering Division
of Mager Engine

tsenecal
04-07-2018, 11:19 AM
That president would be a great cruiser. It looks to be a clean, well kept car, that is turn key. My 'disposable income' is presently being swallowed up by a 1960 Hawk, so my pockets are empty. It would be a great car for somebody wanting to get into a classic car, without breaking the bank.

PackardV8
04-07-2018, 12:08 PM
I don't think you could do the car as it appears for double the asking price. Agree, but since it's going to be a difficult sell at $13K, that's why $26K into restoring a '58 4-door is not something everyone would choose to do.

jack vines
Obsolete Engineering Division
of Mager Engine

S2Deluxe
04-09-2018, 04:23 PM
The President looks to be missing about 40% of the battery hold down!

Mark