Engine parts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine parts.

I have two boxes of engine parts from my recent 289 rebuild, and I have no idea what to do with them. Donate? Try to sell? Bring to show?
    peter lee

Thanks for thinking of us, Peter.

A description and the year might help. For example, used bearings, rings, valve guides and gaskets are of little use to anyone. Some CASOs grind and re-use valves. Some use old valve springs.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

If they are usable parts, it shouldn't be too hard to find them a new home, for a reasonable price. I would be interested, if shipping were not so expensive. There should be somebody closer, that can use them.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Parts needed

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
        I have two boxes of engine parts from my recent 289 rebuild, and I have no idea what to do with them. Donate? Try to sell? Bring to show?
        I am going to be at the May South Bend event and I need 289 manual trans starter ('s if you have more than one ?) for my Avanti. Sherm Green Bay PS What my wife doesn't know can not hurt me.....

Comment

Donate them to one of the club auctions???
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Firestoper 25, I agree, problem for me, its a bit bigger than what you want, I have a 64 Superhawk in hiding at the body shop getting a Concours paint job, new carpet and headliner. My ass will be sore for a long time when I show up with that one

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              Thanks for thinking of us, Peter.

A description and the year might help. For example, used bearings, rings, valve guides and gaskets are of little use to anyone. Some CASOs grind and re-use valves. Some use old valve springs.

jack vines
              1956 Sky Hawk.
              peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                Donate them to one of the club auctions???
                Good idea. We don't have one here on long Ihas auctions?sland, so the parts would have to be shipped. Do you know of a chapter which has auctions?
                peter lee

Comment

No transmission parts, only engine.
                  peter lee

Comment

Busted ??

Originally posted by mch View Post
                    Firestoper 25, I agree, problem for me, its a bit bigger than what you want, I have a 64 Superhawk in hiding at the body shop getting a Concours paint job, new carpet and headliner. My ass will be sore for a long time when I show up with that one
                    If our wife's EVER trip onto these threads......our bodies will never be found!! And I do not mean car bodies. Unsigned for a reason.

Comment

Funny, how we have swerved from a boring discussion about scrap used engine parts to saving our butts by keeping secrets from our wives! Years ago, while we still had a mortgage payment, car payments, & a daughter in high school...I found a deal on one more Studebaker, to drag home and park among the too many I already had. To soften the shock to my wife, I waited for her to go to bed on a Friday night. Then, I went off & brought the little '48 Business Coupe home, & parked it in the backyard. The next morning, while we were having breakfast, I pulled back the kitchen window curtains..."OH LOOK SWEETHEART! THE STUDEBAKER FAIRY CAME LAST NIGHT!" Her kinda stunned response..."It's so ugly, it's kinda cute." (I have never figured out if her grin was from thinking how she was going to punish me, or resignation about putting up with my tendency to drag junk home) I knew then, it was OK to keep it.
                      Several years later, I completed the restoration in time to drive to my daughter's wedding. It's the car in my avatar.

Not to truly disparage your parts offer...depending on what they are & condition. Most bearings, no. But if there are pushrods, lifters, crankshaft, cam, heads, rockers, etc...maybe. I don't think I'd take a used fiber cam gear, but hard parts that could be cleaned up & used within acceptable specs could be of value to someone with mechanical skills and a very limited budget. An offer to share them with others is very commendable. Especially if you take the time to gather them up, make them presentable, and haul them to a venue.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'll have two at SB.

Comment

John, that's a great story, but I don't think my wife believes in the Studebaker fairy anymore. Santa, maybe, because he still brings HER, things.
                          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

starters

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
                            I'll have two at SB.
                            Put my name on them....I'll take'em & hunt you up! Sherm

Comment

Studebaker's & spouses

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              Funny, how we have swerved from a boring discussion about scrap used engine parts to saving our butts by keeping secrets from our wives! Years ago, while we still had a mortgage payment, car payments, & a daughter in high school...I found a deal on one more Studebaker, to drag home and park among the too many I already had. To soften the shock to my wife, I waited for her to go to bed on a Friday night. Then, I went off & brought the little '48 Business Coupe home, & parked it in the backyard. The next morning, while we were having breakfast, I pulled back the kitchen window curtains..."OH LOOK SWEETHEART! THE STUDEBAKER FAIRY CAME LAST NIGHT!" Her kinda stunned response..."It's so ugly, it's kinda cute." (I have never figured out if her grin was from thinking how she was going to punish me, or resignation about putting up with my tendency to drag junk home) I knew then, it was OK to keep it.
                              Several years later, I completed the restoration in time to drive to my daughter's wedding. It's the car in my avatar.

Not to truly disparage your parts offer...depending on what they are & condition. Most bearings, no. But if there are pushrods, lifters, crankshaft, cam, heads, rockers, etc...maybe. I don't think I'd take a used fiber cam gear, but hard parts that could be cleaned up & used within acceptable specs could be of value to someone with mechanical skills and a very limited budget. An offer to share them with others is very commendable. Especially if you take the time to gather them up, make them presentable, and haul them to a venue.
                              Good thing we do not live any closer....I can only imagine the trouble we could cause our spouses with combined Studebaker excursions! Sherm, a long way away in Green Bay

Comment

Working...
                              X