PDA

View Full Version : Time passages; when you've been in the game a while...

rockne10
04-04-2018, 08:28 PM
And many have been "in the game" longer than I. ;)
Multiple circumstances have motivated me to do an extreme sorting from the top of the attic to the end of the garage. Besides the concrete "stuff", there exist ephemera. Among the disintegrating boxes and moldy invoices there exists history.
I know I have Special Interest Auto and Packard Farms invoices in the pile but...these two just today. Near as I can tell the invoice from Harold and Sarah Hendricks was 1980; a full decade after I began procuring my parts from them.
71539 71540

Dave Bates
04-04-2018, 08:38 PM
I remember the Hendrick's from Reedsville in the 70's,good memories.

studegary
04-04-2018, 09:40 PM
I remember the Hendrick's from Reedsville in the 70's,good memories.

I also have good memories of them and purchased parts from them in that decade.

r1lark
04-04-2018, 10:07 PM
Special Interest Autos........bought a lot of stuff from them! Good guys, had a lot of hard to find stuff.

Bought a little bit from the Hendricks at York each year. Bought a lot from Bruce Jones in Raleigh NC, since he was fairly local.

rockne10
04-05-2018, 01:35 AM
Bill (McDowell?) at Packard Farms made the exhaust for my '33 Rockne over a quarter century ago. (I think the muffler is shelled with well casing. :woot:)
Packard Farms bought Special Interest Autos; Studebaker of California bought Packard Farms, then moved back to Greenfield and became Studebaker International.

unclemiltie
04-05-2018, 10:15 AM
And Bob Johnson whom owned Special Interest Autos still works for SI!

I have catalogs from these companies listed on Ebay with the sellers thinking they had a gold mine

RadioRoy
04-05-2018, 04:29 PM
It's been since 1972 for Studebaker and me.

Lou Van Anne
04-05-2018, 04:48 PM
For me?.....since I was a baby!71549
It's been since 1972 for Studebaker and me.

04-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Special Interest Autos........bought a lot of stuff from them! Good guys, had a lot of hard to find stuff.

Bought a little bit from the Hendricks at York each year. Bought a lot from Bruce Jones in Raleigh NC, since he was fairly local.
What ever happened to Bruce? I bought some really choice stuff from him years ago. Probably my best buy was a NOS rear window blinds set for Starlight coupes. And another good North Carolina man who used to drive his automatic transmission '50 Champion all the way to DC to conferences. He always stopped to see me in Fairfax, VA (can't think of his name now- it will come to me around midnight or so).

j.byrd
04-05-2018, 08:46 PM
I've been fooling with Studebakers or at least around them since I was 5 years old ( I'm 70 now ) when my Dad got a job as a Parts Manager at Bailey Motors in Clinton, Tennessee. BUT, the two most memorable vendors/characters/enthusiasts/good guys I ever bought stuff from and sold stuff to were Irby Ridgeway from Alabama and William Fennessey from Nashville, Tennessee. I only remember one person in all of the years of Studebaker dealings and events that we've been to that was "to be avoided" at any cost, and he did not stay around for long as he was found out quickly ! Stealing from the old Texaco commercial, : "You Can trust Your Car to The Man Who Wears" ....... Studebaker clothing ! This is me in my 1st "Champion" with Dad's 1st Studebaker up behind us in the parking lot.

rockne10
04-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Still sorting,...came across this today. 71556

bezhawk
04-05-2018, 10:57 PM
I used to buy things from Walt Bottjer(sp) and Harold Snearly, Bob Deusenbury, John Brooks, Everett Gentry, C.P Smith.....yep I've been doing this a long time too.

63t-cab
04-05-2018, 11:17 PM
I remember the Hendricks, My Father and I bought from them from 1979 to about the mid 80s. think those Years are correct, didn't they drive an old Bread/Milk delivery Van of sort ?

HAWK64
04-05-2018, 11:50 PM
I recall buying some nice pickings from Frost & French on our second visit to the States in '76 & then in '78 buying some parts at Avanti Parts in South Bend.I still have that invoice & the guy (Herman?) giving me 40% off as he thought I was a Dealer back in Melbourne. Fond memories.

Buzzard
04-06-2018, 01:03 AM
History for me was purchasing all the pieces (Intake, correct part number carbs, progressive linkage, air cleaner etc) to build a correct R4 Clone from Chris Banke at Stu-V. Although some time ago I believe it was his former partner who disputed this.
I'll have the invoice somewhere and when I get the spare time, I'll do as Rockne10 has done and document everything.
Bill

Blue 15G
04-06-2018, 08:51 AM
Messing with Studebakers for decades, I have lots of stuff around like Brad is showing. Like him, I too need to start thinning stuff out eventually.

I restored (?) my '54 Champion back in the late 1990s. Started working on it in the fall of '96 and bought parts for it from a wide variety of sources. Once I was looking through my file about the car, and found it sad to see how many of the vendors I bought from are gone now.

Who was the guy in Kansas (I think) who had a lot of parts cars and advertised in TW for years? I'm not near my file right now. He was a very good vendor and always came through. He was good for non-pretty things like brake drums, etc.

Blue 15G
04-06-2018, 08:57 AM
I just remembered, I think his last name was Parmer.

bezhawk
04-06-2018, 09:04 AM
Messing with Studebakers for decades, I have lots of stuff around like Brad is showing. Like him, I too need to start thinning stuff out eventually.

I restored (?) my '54 Champion back in the late 1990s. Started working on it in the fall of '96 and bought parts for it from a wide variety of sources. Once I was looking through my file about the car, and found it sad to see how many of the vendors I bought from are gone now.

Who was the guy in Kansas (I think) who had a lot of parts cars and advertised in TW for years? I'm not near my file right now. He was a very good vendor and always came through. He was good for non-pretty things like brake drums, etc.
That as Jim White, in Inman Kansas. Had over 300 cars.

trnstrtrk
04-06-2018, 09:08 AM
I just remembered, I think his last name was Parmer.

Wasn't Parmer based in Iowa? He located a Timken electric unit for my 5E 40 for me.

Blue 15G
04-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Wasn't Parmer based in Iowa? He located a Timken electric unit for my 5E 40 for me.

Yes, it must have been Iowa then. I knew it was in the Midwest somewhere. I never bought from Jim White.

studegary
04-06-2018, 09:35 PM
I used to buy things from Walt Bottjer(sp) and Harold Snearly, Bob Deusenbury, John Brooks, Everett Gentry, C.P Smith.....yep I've been doing this a long time too.

I first knew the Bottjers from their attending the Hudson Valley Chapter meets in the 1970s. I bought things from him and also he is the one that rebuilt and polished the supercharger for my 1957 Golden Hawk.

rockne10
04-19-2018, 09:29 PM
Today, as my house cleaning continues, along with invoices from Stude of California and Newman and Altman, I also came across this. 71843 Tony was a legend among legends.

DieselJim
04-19-2018, 09:55 PM
I purchaser a dual antenna kit at plant 8 in 1961 for my 54 Coupe. Dale Holt was the counter person. It was under $4.00.

studegary
04-19-2018, 11:31 PM
Today, as my house cleaning continues, along with invoices from Stude of California and Newman and Altman, I also came across this. 71843 Tony was a legend among legends.

Tony would drive up to our Hudson Valley Chapter meets in the 1970s. He would get someone to offer him a place to sleep rather than drive back home on the same day. Strange things that I tend to remember. He was an interesting guy and could spout off part numbers.

tomlewis
04-20-2018, 01:58 AM
Eddie Parmer was in Van Wert, Iowa. I visited him many years ago and have not heard anything of him lately. He had some parts at the time, but only a couple of vehicles

Tom

rockne10
04-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Tony ... was an interesting guy and could spout off part numbers.I believe he had spent his life in a Studebaker parts distribution warehouse in NY. By the time he opened his own garage and parts supply he had all the part numbers memorized.

kurtruk
04-21-2018, 12:59 AM
They told me this too. When I met Tony at the Las Vegas International he sold/told me an incorrect door-latch for my 48 Champion. Oh well.

How 'bout Charles Schnetlage?

r1lark
04-21-2018, 07:05 AM
What ever happened to Bruce? I bought some really choice stuff from him years ago. Probably my best buy was a NOS rear window blinds set for Starlight coupes. And another good North Carolina man who used to drive his automatic transmission '50 Champion all the way to DC to conferences. He always stopped to see me in Fairfax, VA (can't think of his name now- it will come to me around midnight or so).

Bruce is out of the Studebaker parts business, and is retired in Jamestown NC (near Winston-Salem).

RDWEAVER
04-21-2018, 07:27 AM
Eddie Parmer was in Van Wert, Iowa. I visited him many years ago and have not heard anything of him lately. He had some parts at the time, but only a couple of vehicles

Tom
Eddie Parmer.... the last time I saw him he had some health issues. He had some terrible luck with a step ladder cleaning gutters, he fell and punctured one of his lungs with a broken rib. I think he lost a lung from the accident. He really was having a rough time getting around. Then, he still had most of his inventory but he told me at that time somebody in Kansas wanted to buy everything he had. I wanted some wheel covers and he was not in good enough shape to get them for me. Sad. This was 4 or 5 years ago.

JoeHall
04-21-2018, 08:09 AM

In the late 1980s, when Harold Snearly's health was beginning to fail, I bought a set of 259 pistons from him, and to this day still do not know what they were actually for. They sat too low in the hole, and dropped compression and gas mileage considerably. About the same timeframe, I bought a set of 289 pistons from him, and still to this day do not know what they were actually for. They bumped compression to the 160s-170s, and the car ran great, but tended to run a little on the warm side. That 289 was in a 63 Cruiser, which I sold after about 10,000 miles, but I wish I'd kept the motor.

04-21-2018, 08:17 AM
And many have been "in the game" longer than I. ;)
Multiple circumstances have motivated me to do an extreme sorting from the top of the attic to the end of the garage. Besides the concrete "stuff", there exist ephemera. Among the disintegrating boxes and moldy invoices there exists history.
I know I have Special Interest Auto and Packard Farms invoices in the pile but...these two just today. Near as I can tell the invoice from Harold and Sarah Hendricks was 1980; a full decade after I began procuring my parts from them.
This is my first Studebaker purchase document and this is how I financed it (something like $63 a month for two years).

studegary
04-21-2018, 10:04 AM
This is my first Studebaker purchase document and this is how I financed it (something like $63 a month for two years).

Paul - That is the first car sale document that I can recall with "and/or" for two names. For two names, it is usually and or or. Was the title/registration made out the same way (and/or)?

GrumpyOne
04-21-2018, 05:33 PM
I recall sitting in Walt Bottjer's living room that was full of parts. Good thing that his wife was sympathetic and both were a delight to speak to. I forgot what I bought but had driven my old Avanti down to a friend's house in northern NJ and decided to visit Walt as a side trip to check it out.

A lot of memories being awakened these days...

kurtruk
04-21-2018, 07:30 PM
Eddie Parmer.... the last time I saw him he had some health issues. He had some terrible luck with a step ladder cleaning gutters, he fell and punctured one of his lungs with a broken rib. I think he lost a lung from the accident. He really was having a rough time getting around. Then, he still had most of his inventory but he told me at that time somebody in Kansas wanted to buy everything he had. I wanted some wheel covers and he was not in good enough shape to get them for me. Sad. This was 4 or 5 years ago.

He just bought a GT Hawk speedometer from me via eBay, so he's still out there. :!:

RDWEAVER
04-21-2018, 07:50 PM
He just bought a GT Hawk speedometer from me via eBay, so he's still out there. :!:

Good Deal ! It's nice to hear this. I hope he is doing well.

Stude Shoo-wop!
04-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Well, I can't really comment much on this idea of tempus fugit except to give a theory; If I live for 20 years, then each individual year will represent 1/20 of my life. If I live for 60 years, that number become drastically reduced to 1/60. Each sliver of time becomes less and less long from your perception and as such the years fly by with increasing suddenness.

studegary
04-21-2018, 10:46 PM
Well, I can't really comment much on this theory of tempus fugit except to give a theory; If I live for 20 years, then each individual year will represent 1/20 of my life. If I live for 60 years, that number become drastically reduced to 1/60. Each sliver of time becomes less and less long from your perception and as such the years fly by with increasing suddenness.

I agree. I have been a long time proponent of that theory. If you are two, one year is 50% of your life. If you are 50, one year is 2% of your life.

edpjr
04-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Living in NC and having a family that had been in the auto supply business since 1949, I was able to turn up quite a few Stude parts in the early 1970s. I recall being able to still order many parts for my '53 coupe, '59 Lark VIII and '63 Wagonaire from regular manufacturers like Walker pipes and mufflers, Standard Ignition, Camco rebuilt brake shoes, starters, water pumps, etc. And not just me, we had several customers that were still actively driving Studebakers at the time. One was a retired high school principal who had a '62 Lark that he bought new. Another was a guy who drove a red '61 Champ pickup for years. And one fellow owned a 1-ton Stude log wagon that he actively made a living with. Studes were fairly plentiful in our area back in those days. Whenever I needed HTF parts, I'd head to Hickory to see ol' HT Woody. He had about 30-40 Studes at his place and could come up with most parts I needed. Yep, those were the days... being a teenager and fiddling around with Studebakers (and other cars).

64V-K7
04-22-2018, 12:07 PM
71843 Tony was a legend among legends.

I used to live about a mile from Tony's place.

rockne10
04-22-2018, 12:20 PM
Well, I can't really comment much on this idea of tempus fugit except to give a theory; If I live for 20 years, then each individual year will represent 1/20 of my life. If I live for 60 years, that number become drastically reduced to 1/60. Each sliver of time becomes less and less long from your perception and as such the years fly by with increasing suddenness.You know you're getting really old when it seems every other day is trash day, the bills seem to arrive every week rather than once a month, and the money has stopped coming in.