Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does a '55 president state sedan weigh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a '55 president state sedan weigh?

Just upgraded to a newer pickup & have to add a trailer brake. I figure the heaviest thing I'll haul these days is our 2nd series '55 president sedan. I have an 18ft car hauler type trailer. I wanted to figure my gross weight so I can plan accordingly.
    thanks,
    Mike Sal

The base shipping weight was 3,220 lb, Mike. That would be with a three-speed transmission. You'd want to add a bit for Automatic Drive, or even overdrive, and other accessories. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I always figure 2000 Lb. for a Flat deck Trailer and probably Less for the ramp only type or, if you KNOW that number you are good.

Most Stude's. will be Less than 3500 Lbs. so I guess that much and never worry about exact numbers, with a standard 5000 Lb. Receiver Hitch you will be close or over the rated weight anyway, but it works fine.
      With 2 Safety Chains and working Lights and Brakes who will care?

A Dry '64 V8 Daytona Wagonaire is the heaviest '64, and only weighs 3315.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

thanks Bob. I know I've got that kind of info around here somewhere but it's never handy when I need it. I'd guess another 150 lbs for automatic drive....The truck is rated at 6600 GVWR.

I was shopping for a used truck for my son in law & came across an '09 dodge with regular cab & 8ft bed, so I bought it & will give him my old truck (a '99 dodge). A regular cab truck is almost impossible to find these days....I don't want a 4 door truck....If I wanted 4 doors, I'd drive a car!!!
        Mike Sal

Comment

I think 6600 GVW is the Gross Vehicle Weight of the Truck and Load, if it weighs 3800 to 4200 that leaves only 2400 Lbs. for a Load, but the TOWING capacity of these modern Trucks, is usually Rated & listed somewhere, if anyone cares.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I always figure 2000 Lb. for a Flat deck Trailer and probably Less for the ramp only type or, if you KNOW that number you are good.

Most Stude's. will be Less than 3500 Lbs. so I guess that much and never worry about exact numbers, with a standard 5000 Lb. Receiver Hitch you will be close or over the rated weight anyway, but it works fine.
            With 2 Safety Chains and working Lights and Brakes who will care?

A Dry '64 V8 Daytona Wagonaire is the heaviest '64, and only weighs 3315.
            I see 3555 pounds as the base shipping weight of a '64 V8 Daytona Wagonaire.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You wont have a problem pulling a Stude if its got the Hemi , Here is my 2012 pulling larktrucks Champ , Ed
              Attached Files

Comment

You may be able to pull a load. But can you safely panic stop a load? You need weight to do that.

Comment

Correctly set up trailer brakes do a great job , besides that Ram weighs 5300lbs , Have you seen the guy who tows his Avanti with a Sunbeam Tiger , But I know what you mean I have seen many vehicles doing tow work that have no business doing it , Some bright and sunny Saturday or Sunday go to a busy boat ramp you'll know what i mean , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    I see 3555 pounds as the base shipping weight of a '64 V8 Daytona Wagonaire.
                    That DOES sound it bit Light! That is what the Salesman's Showroom Book Specifications Chart says, it would have to be really stripped as well as Dry. In reality, a WAGON probably weighs that, not a Wagonaire.

Doesn't matter, I stick by my 3500 Lbs. as a good average for most all Studes. plenty close enough.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The old truck ('99 dodge 1500 4x4 w/ 360) didn't have any problems and the new '09 dodge has 4 wheel disc brakes and a hemi shouldn't either. I ordered the brake controller last night. I don't haul as much crap as I used to so the occasional living or dead Studebaker shouldn't cause any trouble.....
                      Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
                      X