PDA

View Full Version : Learning the ropes...

severalsins
04-01-2018, 11:01 PM
As I'd posted elsewhere, I'm new to the Stude Club as I recently purchased my first one this past month - a 1959 Lark Hardtop. I attended my first meeting with the fine folks in the NW Chapter here in Portland. Lots of real nice people, and looking forward to the next meeting.

I was wondering if there's anyone from the chapter or anyone who lives in/near Portland who might be willing to show me the ropes a bit. Starting from the basics to keep the Lark running (oil, transmission fluid, filters, etc). I've been reading up on the shop and owners manual, and there's a lot of regular greasing up on zerks recommended, but it doesn't show any pictures - so I'm kind of shooting in the dark and don't want to cause more harm than good.

I'm not looking for any free labor at all, just someone to point things out and give me some guidance in-person - I'll do the dirty work and meet where its convenient for you so I can learn. Heck, the oldest car I'd owned prior to this was 94 Volvo. Things look a bit different under the hood.

Thanks kindly!
Ronnie

TWChamp
04-02-2018, 02:34 AM
Your shop manual should show the chassis and location of all the grease zerks. I like to have a separate grease chart, so I look on ebay and buy the cardboard chart for about $10. I was just looking at my 1950 Commander lubrication chart, and it shows 51 places to lubricate, with 39 being grease zerks. I'm sure you'll get lots of help in your area.

StudeRich
04-02-2018, 03:58 AM
Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Ronnie! :)

That is a VERY sharp '59 Regal 2 Door Hardtop, definitely the Sexiest looking of all the Body Types. :!:

Here is a Great place for New owners to get started:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp

Noxnabaker
04-02-2018, 05:28 AM
Found these by just googling:

Might not be the exactly proper models but ought to give you a hint...

TWChamp
04-02-2018, 11:32 AM
Here's a lube chart I'd buy if I owned your Lark.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Studebaker-SIX-Series-Champion-Models-ESSO-Lubrication-Chart-LAST-1/123018943663?hash=item1ca4801caf:g:~DYAAOSwOh9ap8ZK&vxp=mtr

BRUCESTUDE
04-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Severalsins- I'd definitely ask the same question at the next NW meeting, if it's like the Central Wash. chapter we get a different variety of members at each meeting! Also, most 50's-60's Studebakers have similar maintenance needs so most DIYer's can answer your questions....good luck!

severalsins
04-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I really appreciate it, I've looked into the resources you've provided and they'll be very helpful. Before I dive into locating all the zerks to grease, let me just be sure I'm getting the most basic thing right. Here's a photo of under my hood...

I'm trying to determine how to check the oil level and also the best way to add transmission fluid. I can only find one area that has a dipstick, and I'd imagine that has to be for the transmission fluid - right? So I'd imagine I just add transmission fluid there.

The oil well has a bell-shaped cap that doesn't screw tight - it's got prongs that attach it. It also has no dipstick that I can find for it? Is that normal - and if so, what's the best way to determine my engine oil level aside from waiting for the oil lamp to come on the dash? And do I add oil right here, where the bell cap comes off?

Sorry for the rudimentary questions. I'm trying to be extra careful.

Alan
04-02-2018, 05:05 PM
Let's have a pic. of the pass. side of the engine. Dip stick should screw into a bump in the side of the pan.

62champ
04-02-2018, 05:37 PM
Ronnie - congrats on the '59 Lark - just need more photos to ooh and ahh over...

The dipstick in your photo is for the engine. If you follow the tube down, it will disappear into the oil pan. If your car is an automatic, the transmission "dip stick" is under a small cover on the passenger side of the transmission hump on the inside of the car. If it is a 3sp, there are plugs on the right side of the transmission - need some type of pump (or a hose from under the hood area) to get fluid in there... If the 3sp has over drive, it will have its own set of plugs to drain and fill.

To add oil (it is a Studebaker - will probably need some...) simply pull the oil filler cap off and add as much as needed. When check the oil level, make sure the car has not been running for 15 minutes or more, and the car is sitting level.

The hardest to see and most often overlooked grease zerk is for the center pivot of the steering system. The zert is in the interior of the big cross member and is reached through a hole on the rear side of that member.

Good luck.

old fart
04-02-2018, 05:48 PM
Just a tip from an old grease monkey . If you are only going to drive the car when it is above freezing temps use summer grade grease , if driving when it is below freezing use winter grade grease and do it more often because the temps do flex more .
Old Fart

64V-K7
04-02-2018, 06:54 PM
The lube charts are free. Either use Google or here
http://www.studebaker-info.org/maint/oldmaint120814a.html

severalsins
04-04-2018, 03:42 PM
These charts are really helpful. Thank you!

I was also able to find the transmission fluid dipstick under the interior panel that 62champ mentioned. I'd never had suspected that's where it'd be, on the inside of the car.

I've got the Flight-O-Matic transmission, and although my levels are currently good, I am still trying to decipher how to add fluid when the times comes. 62champ mentioned needing a pump. Any recommendations on what kind will do the job? Also, it was mentioned there are plugs on the right side of the transmission (driver's side?). Can someone point 'em out based on this photo? Or am I looking in the wrong spot again?

Thank you!

StudeRich
04-04-2018, 04:52 PM
The Pic you posted is the Engine, the Transmission is BEHIND the Engine, under the Floor Tunnel you will be working at in the Car.

What '62 Champ said is: "IF it is a 3 Speed", he mean't a Manual, Standard Transmission, ignore that.

All you need is a Automatic Transmission Funnel at any Auto Parts Store or WalMart, K Mart, Grocery Store etc.
Basically just a long Funnel with a very small opening to fit filler Tubes equipped Cars.

But since your Trans. has a Large, short opening ANY Funnel will do, if you do not have the Trans. Filler Funnel.

Put Shift Lever in Park, Block one (or two Wheels on opposite sides) with no Less than a 4X4, Set the Hand Brake if it works, Start the Engine, make sure it is Idling as SLOW as it will after the Choke and Fast Idle are OFF, then place it in DRIVE (D) and check the Level for "FULL".

IF it is between "FULL" and "ADD" it will only take a 1/4 or 1/2 Qt. or less at a time between CHECKING it again to reach "FULL" without overfilling it, repeat until it reads FULL.

After adding some, it is a good idea to: with Engine Running; hold the Brake firmly, and slowly select all gears one at a time to circulate the Oil, Dexron II, III or Type "F" ATF before rechecking the Level.

severalsins
04-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the great instructions, Rich! I appreciate it and will adhere to 'em.

52hawk
04-06-2018, 05:07 PM
These charts are really helpful. Thank you!

I was also able to find the transmission fluid dipstick under the interior panel that 62champ mentioned. I'd never had suspected that's where it'd be, on the inside of the car.

I've got the Flight-O-Matic transmission, and although my levels are currently good, I am still trying to decipher how to add fluid when the times comes. 62champ mentioned needing a pump. Any recommendations on what kind will do the job? Also, it was mentioned there are plugs on the right side of the transmission (driver's side?). Can someone point 'em out based on this photo? Or am I looking in the wrong spot again?

Thank you!

No,always refer to the side of the car as if you were sitting in the drivers seat.This is a pic of the left side of your engine,showing your LEFT rocker cover,and your LEFT exhaust manifold..The engine dipstick is the orange handle in your first pic-on the RIGHT side of the engine.Important to know this,when ordering parts,or installing spark plug wires.. Also,in suspension and brake parts,or ANY PART that fits the only right side or only left side,the right side[passenger side] part will end in an even number,left side parts will end in and odd number.

BILT4ME
04-06-2018, 05:59 PM
Congratulations severalsins!

Welcome to the forum!

StudeRich is an excellent information resource for our Larks.

For the transmission fluid level checking, the 59 is a bit unique. Inside the car, on the passenger side of the floor hump is an inspection cover with a Phillips head screw in it. Remove the screw and you can lift off the cover and see there is a lid there that looks kind of like a more modern power steering pump cap. Turn it to the left and lift it out and you will see it has a dipstick attached to it. This is where you measure the level. The transmission must be WARM (Defined as driving at least 10 or more miles after the engine is at full operating temperature.) Then leave the car RUNNING in DRIVE up against a curb , tires blocked, or with a working parking brake engaged, and check the fluid level. If low, only add a half pint or pint. Too much is NOT a good thing.

How about some overall pics of your car?

Also, please register it with the 1959 Lark Registry (do a search on the forum) with the VIN and body number and describe any options or changes you have.

Based on what I can see so far, it has the correct 1959 259 V8 with the partial flow oil filter and a 2V Stromberg carburetor.

These are the BEST ones in my opinion, and I am biased!

Good Luck!

severalsins
04-13-2018, 11:54 AM
No,always refer to the side of the car as if you were sitting in the drivers seat.This is a pic of the left side of your engine,showing your LEFT rocker cover,and your LEFT exhaust manifold..The engine dipstick is the orange handle in your first pic-on the RIGHT side of the engine.Important to know this,when ordering parts,or installing spark plug wires.. Also,in suspension and brake parts,or ANY PART that fits the only right side or only left side,the right side[passenger side] part will end in an even number,left side parts will end in and odd number.

Thanks for the tips! Great to know about part numbers being even and odd according to side.

severalsins
04-13-2018, 11:58 AM
Congratulations severalsins!

Welcome to the forum!

StudeRich is an excellent information resource for our Larks.

For the transmission fluid level checking, the 59 is a bit unique. Inside the car, on the passenger side of the floor hump is an inspection cover with a Phillips head screw in it. Remove the screw and you can lift off the cover and see there is a lid there that looks kind of like a more modern power steering pump cap. Turn it to the left and lift it out and you will see it has a dipstick attached to it. This is where you measure the level. The transmission must be WARM (Defined as driving at least 10 or more miles after the engine is at full operating temperature.) Then leave the car RUNNING in DRIVE up against a curb , tires blocked, or with a working parking brake engaged, and check the fluid level. If low, only add a half pint or pint. Too much is NOT a good thing.

How about some overall pics of your car?

Also, please register it with the 1959 Lark Registry (do a search on the forum) with the VIN and body number and describe any options or changes you have.

Based on what I can see so far, it has the correct 1959 259 V8 with the partial flow oil filter and a 2V Stromberg carburetor.

These are the BEST ones in my opinion, and I am biased!

Good Luck!

Thanks Mark! I've identified the area to check the levels under the interior cover mentioned. I've also passed on all my info for the Lark Registry, and I believe I'm #28.

I'll happily post some more pics soon.