'37 President - Fog light switch needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '37 President - Fog light switch needed

I need a fog light switch for a '37 President. Anyone out there who can help me?
    Contact me at (818) 606-0267 or email at brngarage@gmail.com
    Thanks Howard
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

A part # would certainly help. Have you checked with Bob Kapteyn?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just bought this parts car. No fog light switch. The fog lights were an option and the switch would have been a part of the accessory kit. Therefore the switch itself would not have a separate part # listed in the parts book.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1159 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1720153Click image for larger version

Name:	37 p12 captioned.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1720154
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hi Richard

What's the story on this '37 President?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
          Hi Richard

What's the story on this '37 President?

Steve
          Was part of the Chuck Naugle collection. Purchased it from Jim Maxey II as a parts car for my '36 President coupe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6002 copy.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1720164
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

We have wandered afield a bit; I STILL need a fog light switch
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Wouldn't a headlamp switch work? I would think that the wiring of the fog lamps and headlamps would be similar. Obviously you'd like to duplicate what the factory did but their aren't going to be a lot of folks able to question what you do. Unity made a lot of fog lamps for Studebaker and others and I believe they are still in business. I looked when I was restoring my 1938 and they still offered lamps with the Studebaker logo. I found some NOS Unity lamps at Pate -- I mounted the fog lamps but use them as turn signals so the switch is probably in the spare/leftover parts. Let me see if I can't locate the Unity site.

Looks like they are still working on the new website but they have contact info and application and parts list. Looks like they maybe discontinuing some of the old products. Let us know what you find when you contact them
              Last edited by Cowtown Commander; 04-02-2018, 04:48 PM. Reason: Updated info

Comment

George, I just sent Unity a message from their website. I'll post any results I get. THANK YOU!

Comment

I assume it is 6V still ? May come up with a knob that would have to be fitted to a switch of the era. A picture would rocket the search forward.

Comment

I don't have any idea what the switch or the knob looks like (since it is missing).

Comment

Sorry, I meant a picture of the dash. Something out there might be 'close enough' to the other switches you have....

Comment

Quinns 37 president coupe has factory fog lights, but the car is stored for another month,

Comment

Thanks again to George (Cowtown Commander). I contacted Unity. Unfortunately, they no longer stock the switch and offered no recommendation.

Comment

Sorry to here that Unity is not being helpful. The new web site is still under construction from what I can see and it looks like the older products are being left till last. It was interesting to see that it appears that they have included some old kit numbers and bill of material for the kits. When I look at the photos of Richard's 1936 Coupe I see that the lamps have more of a "bullet" look to them than mine and had a one piece mounting bracket while mine is a multi piece bracket that allows many mounting options. I tried to post pictures of mine but couldn't get it to work so I sent the photos to your e-mail.
                            I looked for the box that has the leftovers from my kit and couldn't readily locate it. As I said I'm using my fog lamps as front turn signal indicators so I did not take the time to add relays to allow the lights to be used for both turn signals and fog lamps. I'll look for further to see if I can locate my switch. I did go to e-bay motors and typed in "6 Volt fog switch and found a new in the box echon brand universal fused 20 amp switch for under $25 freight included. It has a design that allows it to fasten just below the dash. It should allow your lights to function and would be similar if not identical to what would be available from Studebaker or others in 1937.
                            Last edited by Cowtown Commander; 04-04-2018, 02:26 PM. Reason: Corrections

Comment

I don't know about most States but in Canada you can not have the fog lights on with the headlights, they must be independent and designed to not allow both on at the same time. On my 54 champion sedan (Canadian model) there is a pair of terminals in the headlight switch, whereas when the headlights are turned off only then will the fog light terminals be energized. They are also required to be focused the same as the headlights.

Comment

Working...
                              X