1953 Commander Hardtop to be parted out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Commander Hardtop to be parted out

We rescued an early 53 hardtop last month from a 40 year nap, sitting on the ground. Needless to say, the frame, floor, inner and outer rockers are toast along with the door bottoms. The front and rear fenders are probably salvageable. I spoke with the owner and he doesn't want to spend the money it would take to make this car a decent driver. We will be looking for a better project for him. So, the best thing to do would be to strip it and send it to its final resting place.
    It is really a shame because this is probably the most complete and unmolested 53s i have ever seen, with exception of the transmission. All of the trim is in place, although pitted. The original bumper jack is still mounted where it belongs. The trunk lid and hood are salvageable with surface rust and typical kinks in the hood corners.
    If anyone needs anything, let me know and I'll take some pics and get back to you.
    It really is a shame that this car sat so long. Twenty five years ago, it would have been an easier project. There's not too many tri star hardtops left.
    When we picked the car up, amazingly all the wheels were free. I fully expected to find the brakes frozen to the drums.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by starliner62; 04-01-2018, 12:34 PM.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Just sent a pm

Comment

I'll take your word for it, but I have started on K bodies that looked a lot worse than that one.

What's with the front bumperettes? Are they the incorrect ones or just reversed/upside down?

EDIT: To me, it seems like a prospect for a chassis swap, either Studebaker or some other brand. It would still look like a nice 1953 Starliner.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, externally the car looks really decent, very straight with the exception of one dent on the right rear fender. Open the doors and you find the A and B pillars completely detached from the non-existent floor. The trunk looks great until you open it. The inside bracing of the trunk lid is gone, along with the rear panel. Rear inner fenders are rotten.
        Looks and pictures are decieving. If I was twenty years younger and had unlimited funds, I would tackle it. If I look around, I'm sure I could find a more solid body for a lot less than the cost of sheet metal alone.
        Personally, I'm growing weary of major rust repair. My nearly rust free Lark has become quite a challenge, with rust popping up in strange places. It was well hidden.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

I wish you were closer. I would be interested in the hood. Anyone have any experience shipping large parts like a hood from store to store with Fastenal?

Comment

Jamie, Pm sent.
            Brian Greenall
            Melbourne, OZ
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X