PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Champion Convertible on Ebay

TWChamp
04-01-2018, 10:02 AM
So, what is a "museum quality restoration"?
I guess it means restored for looks, and not originality. My neighbor said they spent over $50,000 on this car's restoration. He must have called the number to get that information, because I don't see it. Anyway for that kind of money, it should have been more authentic. The spark plug wires, wiring harness, paint in the engine compartment, lack of engine decals, and the glove box emblem being upside down, don't point to an authentic restoration.

It's a beautiful car and should sell high, but would loose points in judging.
In 1976 I had a chance to buy a nice original 1951 red Champion convertible on the east side of Aberdeen, S.D. for $850.
Foolishly I didn't buy it just because of a little rust in the right rear floor area, and the fact that I liked 1950 better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Studebaker-Champion-Convertible-Amazing-Nut-Bolt-Restoration/392010307867?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

studegary
04-01-2018, 10:46 AM
So, what is a "museum quality restoration"?
I guess it means restored for looks, and not originality. My neighbor said they spent over $50,000 on this car's restoration. He must have called the number to get that information, because I don't see it. Anyway for that kind of money, it should have been more authentic. The spark plug wires, wiring harness, paint in the engine compartment, lack of engine decals, and the glove box emblem being upside down, don't point to an authentic restoration.

It's a beautiful car and should sell high, but would loose points in judging.
In 1976 I had a chance to buy a nice original 1951 red Champion convertible on the east side of Aberdeen, S.D. for $850.
Foolishly I didn't buy it just because of a little rust in the right rear floor area, and the fact that I liked 1950 better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Studebaker-Champion-Convertible-Amazing-Nut-Bolt-Restoration/392010307867?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

To me, "Museum Quality" means that it looks good, but may not run worth a darn.

I do not know what the listed "VIN" is. It is not the S/N (a South Bend no. on the S/N plate). It may be the engine number. I did not look it up.

Since they refer to it as "mint", I took a quick look and will add a few items to yours. The rear fender welt should be painted red. incorrect radiator cap; air cleaner lid should be black; hose clamps are incorrect; and another big one - eight volt battery.

thunderations
04-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Looks like the correct rear window, but the wrong top. There should not be a separate flap for the window. This top is made for a plastic window panel.

RadioRoy
04-01-2018, 06:08 PM
There are so many things wrong with this "restoration" almost too many to list. Although they were in all the sales brochures, Studebaker did not make a bright red bullet nose car. You could get a pickup truck in bright red, but not a car, unless it was a special order. Why is it so hard to find the correct shift knob? They have been reproduced. And the red corduroy seats? Yikes!

Unfortunately because this is an expensive cosmetic restoration, many folks will see it and think that it is correct, then they will "restore" their cars the same way, and the whole community will have lost a little bit more knowledge of what was actually correct. :(

kmul221
04-02-2018, 05:28 AM
My 1st. Stud. Was a 51 Camp convert. 6 auto,that car hardly had enough oomp. To pull itself,sold long ago.

TWChamp
04-02-2018, 11:21 AM
My 1st. Stud. Was a 51 Camp convert. 6 auto,that car hardly had enough oomp. To pull itself,sold long ago.

But, in the old days people drove much more sanely. LOL