Title issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title issues

I inherited several Studebakers from my father's estate. I am having trouble with the serial numbers and titles. I have a firewall tag number of
    1O-S2
    There is no serial tag on the car and no numbers under the car.
    I have a Massachusetts title with a vin of 815226. This title is for a 1951 commander convertible. I have been told there is one number missing.
    I also have a title for a 1951 Studebaker 2door. Vin# DSP41090.
    The car i have is a convertible. At this point I don't know if its a commander or champion.
    Someone Please help.
    Thanks Patrick

Firewall tag correction
    10G-S2

Comment

10G S2 51 Champion. Regal Convertible. Seems to fall into the Canadian numbers.

Comment

Does the DSP41090 Sound like a correct serial# ?

Comment

Definately NOT! "DSP" "Delaware State Patrol", State assigned replacement Serial Number ????

The Serial Number Plates you need are on the Latch/Striker Pillar ("B" Pillar) down low on '51-'52 and on '53 to 1966 on the Hinge Post ("A" Pillar) both Driver's Side.

Those Body Tags are useless for Registration but there IS a Dup. Serial Number on the lower rear Flange of the Rearmost Frame Crossmember STAMPED lightly INTO the Metal, sometimes but not always near the Center.

Is it a V8 Engine (Commander) or a Flathead Six (Champion) ?
          Does the Hood nameplate say "Champion" or Commander"?

The "Body" is clearly a '51 Champion Six (S1) CONVERTIBLE, the Title (815226) MAY be for a '51 South Bend Commander V8, but if so, it IS is missing the LAST Digit.

The Engine and OR Chassis and Title COULD be a Commander V8! You will have to look for the above.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 03-29-2018, 02:31 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for your help. Not sure if I know how to proceed from here. The bottom of the car was very rusty and that cross member was replaced. The pillar tag is also gone as well . I guess the DMV is the next step.

Comment

OK, they will do what you NEVER want to happen, that is Issue a State Motor Vehicles VIN Number to the car and add a Sticker to the Door Post.

That will Lose the Car's Original Identity and Serial Number, and maybe a bit of Value.
              I would think it would be a bit awkward when attempting to Register it in another State.
              But if that is your ONLY option to get a Title and Registration, you are stuck.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 03-29-2018, 02:51 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich I wouldn't think it would be that hard to reregister if done by a State DMV. with a new vin tag installed. It gets done with custom build hotrods all the time and they end up who knows where and most cost 5 times that of a 50 stude. even if it where restored.

Comment

Thanks all for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X