Shop manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Shop manual

Can anyone tell me the best place to get a shop manual for a 56 Golden Hawk, and while I am logged in how miles between oil changes in a Dana 44 rear end.

The Dana 44 was used right up to 1965 and any shop manual will work for the specs. In so far as oil/lube changes/re-packings....I think the older recommendations were for 25-30K+ miles between changes. Probably around rear brake service....I wouldn't be at all bothered by 50K with today's fluids/lube. You will likely get all of that on new brake linings....

Comment

Here's the best source for any tech info on the 56J http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/ Click on 'Publications and Products at very top of page.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

ebay
        The 1956-1957 Studebaker Passenger Car Shop manual, chassis catalog and body catalog has all the info on the Goldenhawk.
        The shop manual, chassis catalog and body catalog are all available as original, reprint or on cd.
        The reprint of the shop catalog has dark blurred pictures, the original has clear pictures. You will be referring to those pictures frequently so the original is much preferred.
        The reprints for the chassis and body catalogs are fine for all purposes.
        1956Goldenhawk.com is an incredible resource.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

The Studebaker club has reprinted manuals
          Our books cover a wide range of Studebaker and automotive related topics. Relieve one of your favorite stories again and again or learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
            The Studebaker club has reprinted manuals
            https://www.studebakermuseum.org/store/studebaker-books
            Please do not confuse the club (SDC) with the museum (SNM). They are different entities.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Question: Is there any special rear end oil or additive if the car is marked with TT as you might find on a '62 Hawk? Chet445

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
                Question: Is there any special rear end oil or additive if the car is marked with TT as you might find on a '62 Hawk? Chet445
                I do not think that it is required, but I believe in using a limited slip additive along with a good grade of differential lubricant.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I do not think that it is required, but I believe in using a limited slip additive along with a good grade of differential lubricant.
                  Yep, that was exactly how we did it at the GM dealership I worked at in the 70's.

Comment

Working...
                  X