Peter Munk passes at 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Munk passes at 90

Back in 1965, Peter Munk was a very key player in our attempt to assure Studebaker's future. His involvement was clearly defined in my book.

Many of you will recall the Munk consortium which included Canadian Motor Industries came within an inch of taking over Studebaker, a deal engineered by our Canadian senior management team.

Peter Munk was one of Canada's most noted entrepreneurs and ended up as CEO of Barrick Gold, the world's largest gold producer. In his private life he contributed millions of dollars to Canada's charitable needs. He passed away peacefully this afternoon at the age of 90.

RIP Mr. Munk. It was an honor to have known you.

Stu Chapman

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
    Back in 1965, Peter Munk was a very key player in our attempt to assure Studebaker's future. His involvement was clearly defined in my book.

Many of you will recall the Munk consortium which included Canadian Motor Industries came within an inch of taking over Studebaker, a deal engineered by our Canadian senior management team.
    Indeed! Too bad it didn't work out: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...3407-65-Merger

Thanks for mentioning this, Stu.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Indeed! Too bad it didn't work out: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...3407-65-Merger

Thanks for mentioning this, Stu.

Craig
      I knew I could count on you Craig to turn up this old thread. One little bit of trivia about Peter Munk just came to mind that readers may find fascinating.

I was very familiar with the fine Clairtone line of stereo consoles developed by Peter Munk and David Gilmour, since a very good friend of mine had sold them partnership insurance for their new firm. A few years later when I handled Volvo's adverting account (prior to my Studebaker days) I was in a meeting with Volvo's Pat Samuel when his secretary interrupted us explaining a Peter Munk wishes to speak with you and she thought it was important. Pat asked me if I knew anything about Peter and I answered yes...take the call.

It seems Peter Munk had just finished reading a very long copy ad we had just placed about this strange looking car and its great quality. He told Pat Samuel to bring one out to his office. If he liked it he would buy it. Munk also told Samuel that he could to a lot of good for him.

The rest is history. That was 1960. Two short years later we were announcing the Volvo Canadian, a 122 built in Volvo's new assembly plant in Nova Scotia. This became the forerunner of Canadian Motor Industries and the Munk/Gilmour/Samuel alliance. Who knew we would all be working together again in 1965 in the attempt to save Studebaker.

Fifty years later I made an overture to Peter Munk to determine his interest in underwriting a huge financial commitment to the Studebaker National Museum in return for a naming opportunity. It would appear his philanthropic efforts were to be confined to Canada.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Is that "Barrick Gold" related to Bob B here on the SDC Forum?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I work for Barrick Gold here in Nevada at their Cortez mine. I am familiar with Peter Munk, as our former CEO, but had no idea that he was involved with the Studebaker Corp. in the sixties. Our site here pours over a million ounces a year, with several new projects starting up. Sorry to hear of his passing.
          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Is that "Barrick Gold" related to Bob B here on the SDC Forum?
            Bob B. He wishes! Although he could own shares in one of the world largest gold producers.
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Took note of this news on CBC the other day and recalled Stu's mention of Mr Munk in connection with the efforts to turn Stude Canada into a viable import/distribution/manufacturing outfit, bringing Toyotas and Isuzus to our market. My first "good" car was an Isuzu; maybe had things gone differently it might have been a Studebaker! (I'd love to find a 60s Bellett sedan and badge that as a Stude, which at one point was the plan. Nobody except Stu would know what the heck the car was, even at an SDC event…)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                Took note of this news on CBC the other day and recalled Stu's mention of Mr Munk in connection with the efforts to turn Stude Canada into a viable import/distribution/manufacturing outfit, bringing Toyotas and Isuzus to our market. My first "good" car was an Isuzu; maybe had things gone differently it might have been a Studebaker! (I'd love to find a 60s Bellett sedan and badge that as a Stude, which at one point was the plan. Nobody except Stu would know what the heck the car was, even at an SDC event…)
                Great idea Steve. IIRC we had 3 or 4 Bellets in the Hamilton plant for some experimental design work.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                  I remember Belletts/Bellels. They were popular in Hawaii in the '60s, especially loved by the road race guys. The Belletts were pretty advanced for the day- independent rear suspension, dohc engines, etc. One of my friends on Oahu had a Bellel which was a higher line car. His had air conditioning which as I remember was trunk mounted. A side benefit of that was it had a usable refrigerator in the trunk.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Mr. Chapman, thank you for posting this about the passing of Mr Munk. My wife bought your book for me last year and I read it in two evenings. I remember the story of Mr. Munk's interest in Studebaker very well from your excellent book. I am sorry to hear of his passing.
                    Mike Davis
                    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                    X