Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1951 Commander 4 door Need to sell What's it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Commander 4 door Need to sell What's it worth?

I have to start off by saying I am out of my element. I am a classic car guy but I'm new to Studebakers. I live within 25 minutes of South Bend and grew up hearing about them. There a boxes in the car labeled with what is in them. It looks like most if not all of the chrome is there. I would like to sell the car because I have 3 little ones which limit my time to restore this car.

I have attached some photos of the car. I know nothing about them and would love for it to go to a good home.

Please add comments and let me know what it is worth to y'all.

Thank you for looking and have a great day.

Josh
    Attached Files

The value is the hardest thing to determine, Your car is a Land Cruiser, the top of the line for 1951 and therefore the least sporty too. Sadly the 2 door models are generally more desirable. A running, driving stopping 51 Land Cruiser with no rust should fetch over $5000+, in my opinion. Condition is everything. So if it would take more than $10,000 to restore your car and its value after that would be $10,000 to say $25,000 most buyers of a project are looking for a bargain. The more rust the lower the valve. My best guess is you could be offered as little a $500-$1000 for it. The clock in the dash is worth perhaps $100-500 on its own and the bullet nose (chrome) also have value provided it isn't pitted badly. I hope you find a buyer who walks away with you both satisfied. Other hopefully contribute to this discussion to aid you with it sale.

Comment

Value is very hard(impossible?) to determine from a few pictures. Condition is everything. Does it run, are there parts missing, rust, etc. Ideally, someone in your area will see this and ask to see the car up close. Hopefully, you can come to an agreement on value.
      BTW the nose piece you have is for a 50. Some folks like them better, but it is not correct for a 51.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Keep it and get your 3 little ones involved in the restoration. Most little kids love to help.

Comment

The blue grill panel with white stars and the chrome bullet, in the first shot, are '50 not '51 pieces. The engine shown in the fourth shot does look like an authentic '51 232" V8 and is likely the original, but the generator, water pump manifold, water pump, water pump pulley, fan and fuel pump have all been removed. Are they still with the car? $500 - $1000 wouldn't seem to horribly under priced. You might try advertising $1200 or best offer and see what happens? Good luck!

Mark
          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Thank you all for your comments so far. Like I stated I am completely out of my element.

I have thought bout restoring it but I do not have space to keep this under cover until I can get to it.

I know pictures always make things look better or worse.

The engine turn over by hand which is always a good sign. I still have 3 or 4 boxes to go through which should be all the chrome. I will post more pictures the further I get I to this gem.

I have to add that I love the suicide doors.

Does anyone know where I could get glass for this car? It will need both door glasses, front wing windows and both windshields.

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
              The blue grill panel with white stars and the chrome bullet, in the first shot, are '50 not '51 pieces. The engine shown in the fourth shot does look like an authentic '51 232" V8 and is likely the original, but the generator, water pump manifold, water pump, water pump pulley, fan and fuel pump have all been removed. Are they still with the car? $500 - $1000 wouldn't seem to horribly under priced. You might try advertising $1200 or best offer and see what happens? Good luck!

Mark
              All the engine components are in the truck. The exhaust manifold, water pump, generator etc appear to all be there. I have to get it off the trailer and go through the goodies in the back.
              Last edited by Jthomp1986; 03-26-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

The side glass are easy as they are just flat glass and can be cut new. Some times you can find the front windshield but the back glass has to be use.

Comment

Not to be a wet blanket, but finding an automatic of the vintage (Detroit Gear) that is in working condition is rare. Finding someone to work on them is harder, like finding a chicken with lips. Rebuilding one with the correct parts, you might consider it as a guess to be around $3,000 if you could find someone to do it and the parts. The transmission stopped being offered by Studebaker in 1955 and was used in Jaguar until 1962. We have a local rebuilder here that works on the Ultramatic and Borg Warner but will not touch a Detroit Gear.

That said, there are many people that have a working Detroit Gear transmission that swear by them. It offered many features such as direct drive lockup and anti-creep so you could take your foot off the brake at a stop and the car would not move.

Just some factors to consider on pricing and possible resistance to a sale. Also consider the transmission is you decide to take on the project.

Bob Miles
                  Different by Design, Different by Delight!

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                    Not to be a wet blanket, but finding an automatic of the vintage (Detroit Gear) that is in working condition is rare. Finding someone to work on them is harder, like finding a chicken with lips. Rebuilding one with the correct parts, you might consider it as a guess to be around $3,000 if you could find someone to do it and the parts. The transmission stopped being offered by Studebaker in 1955 and was used in Jaguar until 1962. We have a local rebuilder here that works on the Ultramatic and Borg Warner but will not touch a Detroit Gear.

That said, there are many people that have a working Detroit Gear transmission that swear by them. It offered many features such as direct drive lockup and anti-creep so you could take your foot off the brake at a stop and the car would not move.

Just some factors to consider on pricing and possible resistance to a sale. Also consider the transmission is you decide to take on the project.

Bob Miles
                    Different by Design, Different by Delight!

No offence taken. I am new to the Studebaker world and I want to learn everything I can about them. I'm only 32, which means I'm either stupid or just young but I'm not afraid to work on anything. It is just too neat of a car to watch rust away in Indiana.

Comment

Any running car should be worth twice that of cold iron.

Comment

If you can wait about a month there will be a Studebaker meet in South Bend at the fairgrounds. You might have a better chance of selling it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                          If you can wait about a month there will be a Studebaker meet in South Bend at the fairgrounds. You might have a better chance of selling it there.
                          http://www.michiana-chapter-sdc.net/

That is my plan. I just want to know more about it before I'm in a group of folks that know everything about these cars. I go to that swap meet and car every year. It is a good show.

Comment

Working...
                          X