Thermostat Housing 1550844

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Thermostat Housing 1550844

This thermostat is rated for 180 degrees, works perfect in this housing.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1757551Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1757552
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

That is because you have the correct T-Stat Housing and the correct Thermostat for a '61-'64.
    I don't get it, both are commonly available and the same size Stat comes also in 160 and 195.
    What is hard to find, is the Original Factory Temp. Stat. of 170 Degrees.

I must have missed one of your Prior Posts.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've used 180 degree thermostats in my Studebakers for more years than I care to remember. GM and Ford also used the same sized thermostats in their engines so they are readily available at most parts houses. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        That is because you have the correct T-Stat Housing and the correct Thermostat for a '61-'64.
        I don't get it, both are commonly available and the same size Stat comes also in 160 and 195.
        What is hard to find, is the Original Factory Temp. Stat. of 170 Degrees.

I must have missed one of your Prior Posts.
        Is this close enough?

Comment

No, that size MAY fit the 1961 to 1966 V8, BUT, it is the NORS 2 Coil Spring Type, VERY obsolete made in 1956. Notice there ARE NO 1957 Models shown, which it would also Fit.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 03-28-2018, 05:27 PM.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
            I've used 180 degree thermostats in my Studebakers for more years than I care to remember. GM and Ford also used the same sized thermostats in their engines so they are readily available at most parts houses. Bud
            Do you happen to know what years Studebakers these FoMoCo thermostats cover?

The reason I'm asking is because in the mid 1960's, there were two different diameters, 2 1/8" & 2 1/2."

2 1/2" used from 1952 (OHV) thru circa 1965/66, then from there, 2 1/8" took over.

Comment

Bill, are you saying that the '61 to '64 2 Bolt Thermostat Housing with the unique Thermostat Groove-recess built in for the small Stat. is the same as a FORD?

'51 to '60 V8's use the Large Thermostat with the 4 Bolt Housing, BOTH have the recess for the Stat, unlike most other Cars that recess the Water Manifold or Intake, etc. for the Stat to fit.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Bill, are you saying that the '61 to '64 2 Bolt Thermostat Housing with the unique Thermostat Groove-recess built in for the small Stat. is the same as a FORD?

'51 to '60 V8's use the Large Thermostat with the 4 Bolt Housing, BOTH have the recess for the Stat, unlike most other Cars that recess the Water Manifold or Intake, etc. for the Stat to fit.
                Rich, the member in post #3 said that Ford used the same thermostats as Studebaker.

The problem is that thru 1965 (car) or 1966 (F100/350), the Ford t/stats are 2 1/2" diameter. Then after 1965 or 1966, the t/stats are 2 1/8" diameter.

So, what diameter are the Studebaker t/stats?

Both sizes of t/stats are available from NAPA, but may not listed on their computer, so you have to get the parts guy to look in the paper parts catalogs that are usually stashed under the counter.

Comment

Working...
                X