PDA

View Full Version : is any one re poping the 61 lark tail light lens?

dannyo
03-22-2018, 08:54 AM
looking for these for a friend , used would would be ok also .

Ron Dame
03-22-2018, 10:53 AM
https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?product=misc48&cart_id=958.859550

studegary
03-22-2018, 11:00 AM
https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?product=misc48&cart_id=958.859550

When you go to that link, it shows no price or information for 1961 Lark taillight lenses. I assume that means that they do not have them.

wittsend
03-22-2018, 11:21 AM
There are a few videos on You Tube showing you can make a mold of the old lens and then recreate your own (should they not be avilable elsewhere). https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tail+light+lens+mold

candbstudebakers
03-22-2018, 12:36 PM
My 61 with 48 K miles came with both lenses broken and I was lucky to find a pair one from a member here on the forum and the last one Studebaker's West had. I called Chuck Collins but he did not have any more, most I can say is good luck.

03-22-2018, 06:22 PM
My 61 with 48 K miles came with both lenses broken and I was lucky to find a pair one from a member here on the forum and the last one Studebaker's West had. I called Chuck Collins but he did not have any more, most I can say is good luck.
Back in the '70s I had probably two dozen NOS '61 Lark tail light lenses. Almost nobody wanted them and I could only get maybe $5 each for them. I ended up giving a bunch away, threw in a pair when I sold the '61 convertible. I still have one as sort of a reminder.

StudeRich
03-22-2018, 06:46 PM
No problem Paul, you are only down about $2400.00 on 24 of them. :D

studegary
03-22-2018, 08:33 PM
Back in the '70s I had probably two dozen NOS '61 Lark tail light lenses. Almost nobody wanted them and I could only get maybe $5 each for them. I ended up giving a bunch away, threw in a pair when I sold the '61 convertible. I still have one as sort of a reminder.

I know the feeling. Since I owned four 1961 Larks (three at the same time), I had some extra tail light lenses. Some were NOS, some were new repros. and some were good used. In 1991, I included the whole box of them with parts that I sold. Now I have none.

dannyo
03-28-2018, 02:27 PM
thanks for replys, i know that that year is a bad car to find those& some other parts for , i would not want 1 of them cause ofthe problems it was not a 60 or a 62 trunk lid wrong on & on , any way i did help the person we found 3 i told him where thay were it is up to him to get them i think he will , there are may be going to re pop some throw 2 venders hope it happens for the ones that have those cars .d.

Studebakercenteroforegon
03-28-2018, 02:41 PM
thanks for replys, i know that that year is a bad car to find those& some other parts for , i would not want 1 of them cause ofthe problems it was not a 60 or a 62 trunk lid wrong on & on , any way i did help the person we found 3 i told him where thay were it is up to him to get them i think he will , there are may be going to re pop some throw 2 venders hope it happens for the ones that have those cars .d.

Now if you really knew Larks, you would recognize that 1961 was the best year of all. The cute looks of the ‘59 - ‘60, with virtually all of the mechanical upgrades that we typically associate with the ‘62 models.

Hallabutt
03-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Care to share, with the uninitiated, some of the upgrades that were made in 1961?

Now if you really knew Larks, you would recognize that 1961 was the best year of all. The cute looks of the ‘59 - ‘60, with virtually all of the mechanical upgrades that we typically associate with the ‘62 models.

Studebakercenteroforegon
03-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Care to share, with the uninitiated, some of the upgrades that were made in 1961?

Total Cowl redesign, with Climatizer intake below windshield and relocated heater core. Pendulum brake (and clutch) pedals, also allowing under hood mount for master cylinder. New recirculating ball steering box, plus caster changes to kingpin. Torsion bar hood opening. Much improved quarter window opening on J body hardtops.

Hallabutt
03-28-2018, 03:25 PM
Thanks! All positive except maybe the modern heater location. Jury still out on that one. It certainly mirrored the direction the industry was headed, but it sure is easy to replace the heater core in a 1960. I have changed same on my 1960, and contemplating the need to do the swap on one of the 62 convertibles. I've done it before on the 63, but that was twenty five years ago, and at 74yrs of age, not looking forward to the job!

voxnut
03-28-2018, 03:44 PM
For the record, I love my '61 wagon!

63t-cab
03-28-2018, 07:11 PM
And You should :!:

For the record, I love my '61 wagon!

dannyo
03-29-2018, 08:17 AM
well up grades were good may be?not as much with the early larks for me any way , but more problems were as thay get old ,up above the heater water leeks down throw the core to the heater motor rusts it up , i have replced so many of them that locked up ,also the ohv 6's cracked heads till the last one, have had a lot of those , the v8's are the best well except the 232 , seems not as good as the 259& the 289 , this is just my 2 cent's worth .

candbstudebakers
03-29-2018, 12:40 PM
I just got back for AZ after taking a truck load of parts to Russ Ware, the Wares are the couple that bought out Chuck and Chris Collins and really getting into the swing. While I was there Russ said the there might be some 61 Lark lenses soon and he was not sure how good they would be or the cost, these were ones that Chuck had repoped but the slivering was bad and they were sent out to someone that said he could fix them so as of right now nothing is for certain. I am sure Russ will post it here when it happens. I will sell the pair of NOS ones I have for $6,000.00 but they come with the 4 door V-8 auto car with 48 K miles, and delivery east could be worked out as I will be in South Bend in May.

dannyo
03-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Bob i just sent you a pm dannyo.

RadioRoy
03-30-2018, 07:23 PM
I wonder what the Pope has to say about all this repoping. Repopping? That's another story.

Studebakercenteroforegon
03-30-2018, 08:43 PM
For the record, my entire work career was involved with thermoplastic injection molding, along with aluminum and zinc die casting - actually somewhat similar processes and tooling. I did have some of the reproduced ‘61 Lark tail light lenses in my inventory, so I had a chance to inspect them. To my trained eye I could see the differences, but the appearance and fit were fine. These are what is called a double molding - first the red acrylic molding is made, then it is loaded in a second mold and the clear acrylic is molded around it. Then the inside of the clear is vacuum metalized so that it resembles chrome plated metal. The vacuum metalizing is another complex step in making this final product. It requires precise fitting tooling and is considered a large volume procedure, thus finding a willing source could be a problem.
So hopefully, since the recently created tooling does exist another production run can be made. There must be a market - after all the most recent production run was sold out.

dannyo
03-31-2018, 08:24 AM
Jerry, your post is great on what needs to be done , i think you are right there is a big market out there , just hope the producer who evere it may be can keep the cost low enouph , some lens are better than none .

qsanford
03-31-2018, 09:00 AM
Too bad we couldn't make an actual metal housing with individually placed red lenses. Or, maybe with the computer printed process, it could be a more durable plastic with the original style lens bonded in place? Then the '59-'60 Lark hotrodders would want to use the '61 style lense in their builds!<G>