PDA

View Full Version : Dick Datson

64V-K7
03-20-2018, 10:36 PM
Anyone know his status?

current email address, if appropriate, etc

Apparently the current info online is inaccurate...

thx

PackardV8
03-20-2018, 11:11 PM
Should you find him, be sure to pass along our thanks for being a light in the wilderness when Studes were just rusty orphan cheap transport.

jack vines

sals54
03-20-2018, 11:41 PM
Ditto Jack,
Dick was THE MAN for decades. Many of us followed his newsletters and participated in the sharing of information well before the internet was a twinkle in anyone's eye. It was fabulous to see what others were doing in the modified and custom world, especially the performance world. Harbit, Covington and Lange to name a few. Pioneers and master craftsmen in their trades. High performance Studebakers ruled the world for a little while, thanks to Dick Datson getting the word out. I hope we find him well and happy.

DougHolverson
03-21-2018, 05:40 AM
Just yesterday, I was thinking about him in the Usenet days. He had the first sock-puppet account that I had ever seen. He was pseudonymously his own nest sycophant. How did his "Atlantis" dealie play out.

DEEPNHOCK
03-21-2018, 08:24 AM
He was not a nice man if you disagreed with anything he said.

daytonadave
03-21-2018, 09:12 AM
Still have several copies of "Total Performance".

Dan White
03-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Still have all of mine and his 2 books from the early 90s!

52-fan
03-21-2018, 10:49 AM
He seemed eccentric, especially in the later magazines. In any case, the reports of various successes with Studebaker power probably kept me from going totally Mopar in the late 70s.

DougHolverson
03-21-2018, 10:50 AM
i got a couple of his books squirreled away. I got to dig them out and see what they are again.

PackardV8
03-21-2018, 11:22 AM

Just yesterday, I was thinking about him in the Usenet days. He had the first sock-puppet account that I had ever seen. He was pseudonymously his own best sycophant.

He seemed eccentric, especially in the later magazines.

Yes, Yes, and definitely Yes. The phrase, "Often wrong; but never in doubt." comes to mind. To champion Studes in the dark days, one had to be driven, egocentric and willing to do whatever, say whatever it took to keep up interest in those abandoned orphans. We owe him thanks, if not veneration.

jack vines
Obsolete Engineering Division
of Mager Engine

r1lark
03-21-2018, 12:20 PM
I also subscribed. Dick did a decent job of collecting information from different folks and putting it together and distributing it. Putting out those books and monthly(?) publications must have been a lot of work in the pre-computer days.

Especially enjoyed following the exploits of Tom Covington and his Studebaker roadster.

Agree with Jack and others, we owe him a thanks for helping keep the interest in Studebaker performance alive years ago.

JRoberts
03-21-2018, 04:12 PM

Amen to that.

70Avanti2
03-21-2018, 06:21 PM
Dick Datson was the internet before there was a internet. If you wanted to know how to fix your Stude. His books were the place to go. The only other place to get how to was TW. Which was very limited. Many many more Stude's would have been scraped if it were not for him.

Thank you Mr. Datson for helping a teenage know nothing kid work on his Studebaker.

sals54
03-21-2018, 09:16 PM

Seriously? That's the only comment? So, for all the decades of good things he did for Studebakers, and all the help he made available for thousands of folks trying to keep their Studes on the road as cheaply as they could, and for all the help he gave to those few who were trying and succeeding to make their Studebakers perform with the big guys, and for all the thousands of hours he dedicated to the hobby when so many others did nothing...
That's the best comment?
Give me a break.

studegary
03-21-2018, 10:11 PM
I remember when he gave lectures/seminars at SDC International Conventions. IIRC, he arrived in a modified 1955.

I did not always agree with him, but he was welcome to express his opinions. I too, have much of his printed material around here somewhere (not like I refer to it).

DEEPNHOCK
03-22-2018, 07:17 AM
That is the gentlemanly comment... Not the current trend of 'haters gonna hate' comment.
I have all of the material that he collected and photocopied through the years. Mostly other people's work.
That's OK. He figured out a way to fund his retirement by supplying a product to people in need.
I commend him for that.
But let's not raise him to sainthood for making paperback books in his garage.
He was a nasty old man that said a lot of awful things to people he did not like, or did not agree with.
My comment was made from numerous first hand experiences.
Again... I'll take the high road and leave it there.
So, Sal... Yes... I am giving you a break.

Seriously? That's the only comment? So, for all the decades of good things he did for Studebakers, and all the help he made available for thousands of folks trying to keep their Studes on the road as cheaply as they could, and for all the help he gave to those few who were trying and succeeding to make their Studebakers perform with the big guys, and for all the thousands of hours he dedicated to the hobby when so many others did nothing...
That's the best comment?
Give me a break.

sals54
03-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Just because you cloak it in cutsie, nice language, it doesn't take away the 'haters gonna hate' title.

Stu Chapman
03-22-2018, 01:52 PM
But we still don't know where he is!

Stu Chapman

sweetolbob
03-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Just because you cloak it in cutsie, nice language, it doesn't take away the 'haters gonna hate' title.

I was employed by a corporation that had several Scientists that were renowned for there abilities in certain disciplines. I had the privilege of dealing with several on many occasions. A couple were down to earth and very cooperative with we lesser Chemists and a couple were less that tolerant with some of us. Did it make the cooperative ones better scientists? Nope it was just my opinion of how they interacted with others that made them different in my mind.

I liked a couple and didn't like a couple. Did I hate them when I talked to others about them, Nope I was sharing an opinion based on my interactions.

The bottom line, Hate is a term that is not warranted in this discussion nor in the discussions I had a lunch today with a couple of previous co-workers about the folks we worked with.

Lets drop that term from the discussion and appreciate that some had opinions about there interactions with folks in this discussion.

Life's to short to accuse fellow members of hating someone just because they honestly described there interaction with them.

Bob

Hawklover
03-22-2018, 06:46 PM
Indeed, Carl Lange was a close friend of mine, his death under his Coupe Express is a cautionary tale for us all when working under our vehicles.
Ditto Jack,
Dick was THE MAN for decades. Many of us followed his newsletters and participated in the sharing of information well before the internet was a twinkle in anyone's eye. It was fabulous to see what others were doing in the modified and custom world, especially the performance world. Harbit, Covington and Lange to name a few. Pioneers and master craftsmen in their trades. High performance Studebakers ruled the world for a little while, thanks to Dick Datson getting the word out. I hope we find him well and happy.

Xcalibur
03-22-2018, 11:19 PM
The Lange that Datson covered was more often or not JIM Lange (who still holds a class record at Bonneville with his Stude V/8 powered Avanti though he had engine problems in '16 & '17) and not Carl.

This post is an especially interesting read for me since I regularly corresponded with him for years and contributed articles to Dick's rags. Also, I was instrumental in getting him to reconsider and start submitting material to the Avanti Magazine toward the end of his "era," that after him being pretty much a pariah in the "mainstream" Studebaker world for some time.

I never had any problems with Dick and spent some time with him on one occasion when I was at a conference in St. Pete. He drove a Hawk up to talk with me. However, in my many years of dealing with him I can verify that not everyone who had issues with him was/is a "hater," not by any means. Dick could be pretty goofy and certainly didn't pull any punches with those he disagreed with, no matter on what... and that includes his not inconsiderable goofiness.

p.s. having written the above I got to thinking about a couple conversations with DD I had forgotten, They involved him telling me about his years of working in a dry-cleaning business in perhaps overly vivid and pretty gruesome detail. Hence, there was more than once after that he said or wrote things that made me wonder if the extended chemical exposure had an effect on him.

BobPalma
03-23-2018, 07:17 AM
The Lange that Datson covered was more often or not JIM Lange (who still holds a class record at Bonneville with his Stude V/8 powered Avanti though he had engine problems in '16 & '17) and not Carl.

This post is an especially interesting read for me since I regularly corresponded with him for years and contributed articles to Dick's rags. Also, I was instrumental in getting him to reconsider and start submitting material to the Avanti Magazine toward the end of his "era," that after him being pretty much a pariah in the "mainstream" Studebaker world for some time.

I never had any problems with Dick and spent some time with him on one occasion when I was at a conference in St. Pete. He drove a Hawk up to talk with me. However, in my many years of dealing with him I can verify that not everyone who had issues with him was/is a "hater," not by any means. Dick could be pretty goofy and certainly didn't pull any punches with those he disagreed with, no matter on what... and that includes his not inconsiderable goofiness.

p.s. having written the above I got to thinking about a couple conversations with DD I had forgotten, They involved him telling me about his years of working in a dry-cleaning business in perhaps overly vivid and pretty gruesome detail. Hence, there was more than once after that he said or wrote things that made me wonder if the extended chemical exposure had an effect on him.

:) Interesting insight, John; thanks.

I don't like to ask this but it's the only way to find out: Is Dick still alive? :o

I never met Dick in person but spoke to him several times over the phone back when long distance was kinda pricey. 'Always had a pleasant relationship with him...but I could "see" where he might get off the rails, given the opportunity. "No problems" here, though.

When is the last time anyone ever spoke to Dick, assuming he's still alive? :confused: :cool: BP

Bordeaux Daytona
03-23-2018, 08:41 AM
I found this link in a thread from 2009. The site is still up, it has a contact email address if anyone wants to try....
http://www.studebakerclubs.com/21stCenturyTurbo/

jclary
03-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Hey!...I've kinda resisted posting on this thread. For the first couple of decades as a SDC member, I recall seeing Datson's name in Turning Wheels ads. At that time, it was the main communication device of us SDC members. (With the exception being a few SDC buddies within a half day's drive) Many times I was tempted to purchase the "You can drive a Studebaker forever" book, but because it required more than a postage stamp, I never did. Back then, I was cocky enough to believe I could "figure it out" by myself.:rolleyes:

But, what has prompted me to to finally comment in this conversation, is the remarks about Datson's "eccentricity"...as if it is something unique to him. In my opinion, each of us, to a person, by the very nature of our enthusiasm for Studebaker, are eccentric. It's the "STUDEBAKER PERSONALITY"...somewhere in our DNA lies a tendency to "march to the tune of a different drummer." All of us, are uniquely different from each other in many ways, but, compared to society at large, we are eccentric, and if manifested in our enthusiasm for Studebaker, you can bet the tendency extrapolates into other behaviors.:whome:

So, before we wander too far afield about someone being "eccentric," go take a glance in the nearest mirror. You will see a familiar eccentric looking back at you.;):)

sals54
03-23-2018, 10:53 AM
So, before we wander too far afield about someone being "eccentric," go take a glance in the nearest mirror. You will see a familiar eccentric looking back at you.;):)

Well... I took up the challenge. And I can tell you that I am, if nothing else, not eccentric. Not at all. Not even the slightest. In fact, the visitor from the UFO I talked to a few years ago told me explicitly that I was a very rational humanoid. And he liked my Studebaker, too. So, yeah. I'm OK looking in the mirror to find someone not so eccentric. Not at all. No. Not me. That would be the other guy. But not me. No way.

Roly Lusted
03-23-2018, 11:05 AM
When I checked online, there was one listed at Leesburg Florida and also Sarasota aged 82. Would that fit? This is the address. 7143 N Shore Dr. Leesburg, FL 34788 There was no phone number. ( I don't know if this is it, this is just what I found in the whitepages.
Anyone know his status?

current email address, if appropriate, etc

Apparently the current info online is inaccurate...

thx

DEEPNHOCK
03-23-2018, 11:21 AM
He used to live in Sarasota....
I posted a pic of a Dick Datson from Sarasota to see if any forum regulars that knew him might look and see.
No reply so far.

jclary
03-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Well... I took up the challenge. And I can tell you that I am, if nothing else, not eccentric. Not at all. Not even the slightest. In fact, the visitor from the UFO I talked to a few years ago told me explicitly that I was a very rational humanoid. And he liked my Studebaker, too. So, yeah. I'm OK looking in the mirror to find someone not so eccentric. Not at all. No. Not me. That would be the other guy. But not me. No way.:whome::yeahright:

:lol::lol::lol:;)

j.byrd
03-23-2018, 12:58 PM
jclary, I had an eccentric on a cam once, does that count ? (good post sir) I too still have all my DD monthly "booklets" from him, but never bought anything else. I tried several times to contact him "back then", but no luck. I had heard he was a Sebring races regular and I was planning on a trip there. It never panned out either. Interesting guy.....from all I've read.

DieselJim
03-23-2018, 05:00 PM
I looked in the mirror. Who is that old man looking back at me????

6hk71400
03-23-2018, 05:27 PM
Has anyone tried and see if the AMC group/forum/tech section knows Dick? I do understand that he had also written for AMC folks and maybe they have up to date information. I do thing the original poster wants to get in touch and all of the other posts still have not helped to that end.

Bob Miles
Different by Design, Different by Delight!

Ron Dame
03-23-2018, 05:31 PM
I looked in the mirror. Who is that old man looking back at me????

MONA!!!!!
(remember that? if not you aren't old)

StudeNorm
03-23-2018, 08:53 PM
I had a really good friend ask me why I drove Studebakers... All I could think of to say was " I don't want to be like everyone else".

StudeNorm
03-23-2018, 08:58 PM
And since this is a Dick Datsun thread I corresponded with him a long time ago and all the conversation was good. I actually still have his letters back to me. I once had all his mags (?) but leant a few of them out to another club member and never saw the member again. Never got my mags back, either...

Xcalibur
03-24-2018, 12:03 AM
Having worked in mental health facilities of many sorts from military in the Far East to... well, many others, I know full well that all "eccentricities" are NOT created equally. But, that's another issue and irrelevant here, imho.

As for DD, no Mr. Palma, I have no idea if he is still alive. Google turns up one in Sarasota who once lived in Bradenton but I could find no other info. The last interaction I had with him was as he was doing his last pubs in Avanti Magazine, which I mentioned.

wittsend
03-24-2018, 01:56 PM
I had a really good friend ask me why I drove Studebakers... All I could think of to say was " I don't want to be like everyone else".

Humm..., interesting statement coming from a guy named "Norm." :D

Noxnabaker
03-24-2018, 05:38 PM
Driving a Studebaker doesn't make you different, it only makes you a guy driving a different kid of car...
;)
& since a few(!) years when I look in the mirror there's a wrinkly guy in front of me...

‚Äč:(

JoeHall
03-25-2018, 12:11 AM
Having worked in mental health facilities of many sorts from military in the Far East to... well, many others, I know full well that all "eccentricities" are NOT created equally. But, that's another issue and irrelevant here, imho.

As for DD, no Mr. Palma, I have no idea if he is still alive. Google turns up one in Sarasota who once lived in Bradenton but I could find no other info. The last interaction I had with him was as he was doing his last pubs in Avanti Magazine, which I mentioned.

So, are you a QMHP?

kurtruk
03-25-2018, 12:21 AM
When I checked online, there was one listed at Leesburg Florida and also Sarasota aged 82. Would that fit? This is the address. 7143 N Shore Dr. Leesburg, FL 34788 There was no phone number. ( I don't know if this is it, this is just what I found in the whitepages.

Maybe we should search under Nissan, instead of Datson. :rolleyes:

jts359
03-25-2018, 09:02 AM
Infinity ?

DEEPNHOCK
03-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Atlantis.....

Infinity ?

Chris Pile
03-25-2018, 09:56 AM
All I could think of to say was " I don't want to be like everyone else".

When I want to take a dig at my bowtie-loving pals who ask the same question, I say "So I won't have to drive a Chevy".

Chicken Hawk
03-25-2018, 10:18 AM
I don't know anything about Dick now, whether he is still alive or not. Last I knew of him he was in an assisted living place. Bill Hahn used to live near him and was in contact with him for several years but last time I asked Bill about him he didn't know much as he hadn't seen him for several years. Dick is almost exactly the same age as I am (will be 83 in a few weeks).

Dick was extremely hard of hearing and didn't like to talk on the telephone for that reason and may have been partly the reason some think he was difficult to deal with or came across as he did sometimes. Would be nice if someone could find out about him today.

Besides the cleaning business his parents were heavily involved in dairy cattle at one time.

shifter4
03-25-2018, 12:08 PM
I don't know anything about Dick now, whether he is still alive or not. Last I knew of him he was in an assisted living place. Bill Hahn used to live near him and was in contact with him for several years but last time I asked Bill about him he didn't know much as he hadn't seen him for several years. Dick is almost exactly the same age as I am (will be 83 in a few weeks).

Dick was extremely hard of hearing and didn't like to talk on the telephone for that reason and may have been partly the reason some think he was difficult to deal with or came across as he did sometimes. Would be nice if someone could find out about him today.

Besides the cleaning business his parents were heavily involved in dairy cattle at one time.

I was associated with Dick D. for a span of years . First in 1970 , and a few years thereafter , and then again in the 80's and into the '90's . We did projects together , as seen in the publications . Dick was living very frugally . He had a bitter divorce and life had not gone his way in many respects .
He was from an old time Central Florida family . He also had an interesting military career , and had a few stories about that .
Before he relocated to the west coast of Florida , he lived on a country place of mine ( 80's) , in the general Sebring area , which also is covered in the publications . I was there about 2-3 times per Month , while I /we improved the place , and he continued to publish . It was good for me to have a watchman / worker-helper, semi-mentor , and good for him as he enjoyed the physical work there . A rough place . I continued to live and work in the Daytona area , ( work was 50-72 hours per week) , and make trips there on alternating wknds , or more as necessary . We would philosophize and solve the World's problems ,while working , during the day and a half that I was there each time .
After about 1992 , he moved to Bradenton Fla , and bought a small house . We continued in fairly close contact , but about a year later , I and a couple of other guys in his circle were " Purged " .
I have had no contact with him since then . Occasionally , I see references to him , and people mention him , but since I do not read the Avanti stuff , only have a vague idea of his oft mentioned ramblings , and Extraterrestrial / Mayan bent .
He is full of ideas , but the personality impedes him . He would be 82 now , and I think that I know where he is living , most likely , and last year I did send a short note to that place , but it was returned . ( Very Dick-like ) , or not .
If he is reading this thread , I hope that he has enjoyed it . Otherwise , good luck to him .

Buzzard
03-25-2018, 12:21 PM
I agree with Jack, as in my opinion Dick kept the torch lit for many of us when there wasn't much happiness in the automotive world of the 80's and early 90's. I faithfully subscribed to Dick's printings and books and I still have them for future reference if need be. When Dick closed down his publishing I received a personal letter from him thanking me for all the support over his many years. To top it off he enclosed a refund ($5 or $10 bill) seeing as he couldn't complete his obligation to my subscription. Many times he published my own rantings of the miserable direction the auto industry seemed to be heading. Who remembers the Renault Fuego which I thought was really a Chinese omelet? In his retirement I hope he receives more than some dissing here. My recollection concurs with Xcalibur John that he resided in Bradenton ,then Sarasota, Florida as he was also a boating fanatic.
Good luck in finding Dick in reasonable health enjoying his retirement.
Cheers, Bill

Dan White
03-25-2018, 01:35 PM
However it was Datsun not Datson back in the day.