(Pic Request) 1959 Hawk Hood Hinge Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: (Pic Request) 1959 Hawk Hood Hinge Springs

Does someone have a good close up pic of how the Hawk (1959) hood hinge springs go on?
    I have new springs, but the old ones were gone.
    The parts manual cartoon illustration is vague at best.
    Mostly the top spring. Just want them to be on there properly.

Thanks ahead of time....
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Jeff:
    The top spring goes from the hinge forward to an 'eyelet' on the inner fender. If you don't see the eyelet, let me know and I'll get a picture to you.
    Howard
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Jeff, I was wrong. The earlier cars (like my '53 Commander) use an eyelet on the inner fender. The later ones have a hole stamped into the inner fender.
      Hopefully, these pictures will help. It was getting dark, and in the shadows I could only get a clear picture Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1719978Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1719977of the driver's side.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1719977
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

That's perfect, Howard.
        Just needed the orientation.
        Your pic's covered it.
        Thanks!

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Glad to help Jeff

Comment

I've seen the springs mounted in either direction. Judging by the drawing in plate 16-6 on page 440 of the 1959-1964 Chassis Parts Catalog for all Cs and Ks, I'd guess that the longer straight portion of the spring goes towards the hinge and not the fender. Looking closely at one of the photos posted, it looks like there are three marks on the left fender apron just at the punched hole where the coils of a spring may have rested, further leading me to the conclusion that the straight portion is towards the hinge.

I don't know positively which direction is valid, but here's how my 56J and my 62GT are installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	56J Hood Spring.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1719986

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2790.jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1719987
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Good point, Bill. Since those springs weren't on the car (a '56 Golden Hawk) when I got it, I just put them on. I think you are correct, and when our rain stops, I'm gonna install them correctly. Thanks Howard

Comment

As long as Jeff can install the hood springs now, I suppose which way they are installed shouldn't really matter, but I have been thinking about the 3 marks on the inner fender (presumably made by the coils of the spring). Those marks lead me to believe that installing the springs with the long straight end attached to the inner fender would keep the coils from scratching the fender (when I finally get around to painting the car) Whaddya think?.

Comment

The only silly question is the one not asked
                  I had put the springs on both ways, stood back and looked at them, and ended up scratching my head.
                  The book illustration was kind of vague, so I figured I'd ask here. (It was either this, or ask about ZDDP)
                  Either way, the Hawk will be better with all four springs on, than with no springs...Which is what it had..
                  Fun conversation... It's all good!

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                  As long as Jeff can install the hood springs now, I suppose which way they are installed shouldn't really matter, but I have been thinking about the 3 marks on the inner fender (presumably made by the coils of the spring). Those marks lead me to believe that installing the springs with the long straight end attached to the inner fender would keep the coils from scratching the fender (when I finally get around to painting the car) Whaddya think?.

Jeff

Comment

j.byrd's posting of "Sky Hawk at New Zealand Show" also shows the hood spring with the long end towards the hinge.

What a gorgeous car! Too bad two-tones went out. Some SUVs are offering two-tones, though.
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                    X