PDA

View Full Version : Starlight Storage Compartments Can Yield Surprises

unclemiltie
03-20-2018, 01:33 PM
The picture below shows what I found in the storage compartments of 3 different 50 Starlight Commanders. You never know what will be hiding in them. I bet there are some 47-52 Starlight owners whom have never looked in their compartments. In case you did not know, the starlights have what look like armrests in them but the lids raise via a hinge and you have lots of storage in them.

brngarage
03-20-2018, 01:39 PM
Great score, Milt:D

Commander Eddie
03-20-2018, 02:06 PM
My parents had a Starlight coupe in 1951 and my mom told me she used to store baby milk bottles in them when we went on trips. She did not tell me what else she might have used them for but they sure were a great idea.

Greenstude
03-20-2018, 02:08 PM
The picture below shows what I found in the storage compartments of 3 different 50 Starlight Commanders. You never know what will be hiding in them. I bet there are some 47-52 Starlight owners whom have never looked in their compartments. In case you did not know, the starlights have what look like armrests in them but the lids raise via a hinge and you have lots of storage in them.

Thata's a bummer --- no full ones.

2R5
03-20-2018, 02:46 PM
I had a 52 when I was around 18 and when us guys went “road Tripping” we always used my car , we could fill those armrests with beer and ice and no one would know ! I’m sure it wasn’t good for the car though .

Mike Sal
03-20-2018, 02:51 PM
I remember years ago someone telling me they found a gun in their starlite arm rest.
Mike Sal

Commander Eddie
03-20-2018, 03:03 PM
I had a 52 when I was around 18 and when us guys went “road Tripping” we always used my car , we could fill those armrests with beer and ice and no one would know ! I’m sure it wasn’t good for the car though .

That is what they were made for I thought. There were weep holes on the bottom to allow water from melting ice to drain out.

StudeNorm
03-20-2018, 03:45 PM
We used a plastic bag as a liner. Since the car was just over 20 years young at the time we decided we didn't need water finding its way into wherever it decided to go. Studes already had a reputation for rust. I would never condone such reckless behavior now, though...

StudeNewby
03-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Again...Studebaker: Ahead of its Time!

70Avanti2
03-20-2018, 05:45 PM
Were any of those bottles full when you found them? :D

DougHolverson
03-20-2018, 07:00 PM
Was the armrest storage just a coupe dealie or did the two door sedans have them too?

rockne10
03-20-2018, 07:21 PM
Was the armrest storage just a coupe dealie or did the two door sedans have them too?Sedans did not. Starlight exclusive. As well as the center rear armrest in 1953. It is hinged in the front. 71128 In the earlier models there is no center armrest but both sides are storage. 71129 And neither have drainage holes; though it would be a simple fix.

TWChamp
03-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Four years ago when I was looking at a 50 Starlight in St. Paul, the owner was surprised when I lifted the lid to look inside. He didn't know his car had this feature. That was a decent rust free Champion Starlight that I could have bought for about 5K, and I should have. I wonder where it went?

DEEPNHOCK
03-20-2018, 09:20 PM
The new(er) Ram crew cab pickups have two storage compartments in the floor behind the front seats.
Great storage, and unobtrusive. Waterproof, too.

BRUCESTUDE
03-20-2018, 11:23 PM
In 1976, after graduating from HS, I drove my '51 Commander from Seattle to visit my buddy at college. Since the drinking age in Canada was 18, we drove the Studie up across the border and stashed a half rack of beer in those compartments. I'm sure we looked guilty at the border, but the beers made it across!

unclemiltie
03-21-2018, 08:10 AM
All bottles were empty

57pack
03-21-2018, 08:11 AM
A coworker of mine had a Toyota Landcruiser (Toyota lifted the Studebaker name). The glove box was large enough to hold a six pack of beer and ice. It had or was owner installed, drain pipe which drained out the front side of the firewall.
It had a straight in line six cylinder that looked very similar to a Chevrolet 235 right down to the pot belly Rochester carburetor.
Landcruiser met a terrible end, my coworker got it stuck on some railroad tracks and left it there to get a tow truck. When he got back the Toyota wasn’t there. He found it down the tracks in a thousand pieces. Lost his truck and got a ticket!

TWChamp
03-21-2018, 11:58 AM
I never could figure out why so many vehicles wind up stuck on railroad tracks. It's not like it's a mud hole, or you get high centered.

RadioRoy
03-21-2018, 12:43 PM
I modified the ones in my starlight to be speaker cabinets. Worked great when the tops were left open.

JRoberts
03-21-2018, 04:09 PM
We used a plastic bag as a liner. Since the car was just over 20 years young at the time we decided we didn't need water finding its way into wherever it decided to go. Studes already had a reputation for rust. I would never condone such reckless behavior now, though...

I thought about doing that in my Dad's '66 Charger but....well it was my Dad's '66 Charger and I was below the legal age:rolleyes:.

rockne10
03-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Worked great when the tops were left open.Roy, I thought bass response was enhanced when the chamber behind the magnet remained sealed. :o
And, since I've steered the subject to radios... ;) ...

tsenecal
03-21-2018, 08:56 PM
In heavy winter storms, in Montana, the ice and snow would buildup on the crossings, and the trains would pass through, leaving deep trenches that automobiles would get stuck in. This happened a few times, but somebody always came along to get them moving, before the train came through.