Speedometer Lubrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Speedometer Lubrication

The speedometer wasn't moving as it should so we pulled it out and found that it was just gummed up with dirt and crud. Cleaned it out using electrical contact cleaner. Now it moves and acts like it should. I see a little well above where the cable connects.

Is this well and the odometer drive gears the only places that need lubrication?

What is the best lubrication to use in the well? I can't decide between 3in1 oil and the graphite speedometer cable lubricant.

How about on the odometer drive gears? A drop of oil or a dab of white lithium grease.

We also cleaned the cable and lubed it with the graphite cable lube.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Originally posted by wdills View Post
    The speedometer wasn't moving as it should so we pulled it out and found that it was just gummed up with dirt and crud. Cleaned it out using electrical contact cleaner. Now it moves and acts like it should. I see a little well above where the cable connects.

Is this well and the odometer drive gears the only places that need lubrication?

What is the best lubrication to use in the well? I can't decide between 3in1 oil and the graphite speedometer cable lubricant.

How about on the odometer drive gears? A drop of oil or a dab of white lithium grease.

We also cleaned the cable and lubed it with the graphite cable lube.
    Yes
    a light oil, like for sewing machines
    light oil (if anything)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I quit using white lithium grease about 15 years ago after finding it separates and dries out.
      So far Mystik JT-6 High Temp Red grease has been great for everything that uses grease.

Comment

The problem with Lubriplate or chassis grease is that they get sticky and harden after a while. Graphite cable lube is probably the best and yes I have used 3 in 1 Oil and it seems to work fine.

Comment

Sewing machine oil is much lighter than 3-in-1.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
          X